The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: The strikeMASTER Recovery - and teardown - 6" Black Ice.. Don't be fooled!  (Read 22987 times)

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
"Friendship is the hardest thing in the world to explain. It's not something you learn in school. But if you haven't learned the meaning of friendship, you really haven't learned anything."
— Muhammad Ali    :flex:

Porter and Bosco, rest assured I have learned the meaning of your friendships!  Thank you from the bottom of my heart!  :bow:

Today was a great day fishing with these guys at one of Porters honey holes… I got out there at around 8 and they had already been there for awhile. Man, the winds were blowing strong all day but the snow did let up now and again. What a pain in the A$$ the snow was lugging the equipment out…  :wacko: We were fishing on 6” of nice black ice. Hey frozen, let me know when you’re upgrading your quad and talk to me before looking to trade her in. Could have used one today, that's for sure!  Speaking of Frozen, it was about 3-3:15 and Porter and Bosco were heading out so I decided to walk up with them with just my auger and cooler so the load would be a bit lighter for my final trek. I was going to stick it out and fish till dark.  Walking about 25 feet from (I’m guessing) where we got on and about 50 yards from shore… BAM!   :o In for a swim!  Me, the Auger and the cooler! Holy crap, that frigin water was cold!   :woot: I was up to my armpits (not hitting bottom) I paused so as to just take in the shock and surprise to just get my shlt together (I dunno 5 seconds), all the while hearing Porter in the background ROLL ROLL ROLL. Lifting my feet first to the back float and experiencing the effect of the Arctic Armor floating my full boots to the surface, I rolled out on to the ice about 10 feet to my left, and stood up. Yup, my Strikemaster Cobra swallowed. **censored**!!   :%$#!: I took two step2 to the left and BAM!  :o Back in same  exact shlt/situation! I thought, holy crap...  I'm going to ahve to swim to shore!  :-\ Diddo on the procedure as stated above. Porter and Bosco quickly got me to my truck and then proceeded to climb down a huge cliff (away from where we went on and off) and retrieved my tilts which were still in the water, my vintage box, shiner bucket, and everything that was still on the ice,  :thumbsup: :bow: while I stayed in the truck, ringing out socks, shirts, etc. and trying to get warm.

These guys are the absolute best and I owe them both all the gratitude in the world!  Porter and Bosco, Thank you.  :thumbsup:

It was still a great day fishing and we pulled some really nice bass and pickerel through the ice!  I am just really pi$$ed that my auger is sitting at the bottom.. I loved that dam thing..   :'(  I guess I need to get another one until I can recover it. I’ll get it… I just need a DEEP freeze to get it. Dam!

I should also say to all you guys who have an arctic armour… It IS the best investment you can make! As I got into the back float position, it lifted my legs (with my boots FULL of water) and positioned me real nice for the Roll. My wife thinks I should write to them and thank them as well!  I think she has a good idea…   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Anyone going out tomorrow?  PM me!  ;)2 ;)2

Just another day in the life of....

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline Smeltecca

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Never mess with another man's hole.
Re: 6" Black Ice.. Don't be fooled! In for a swim!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:55 PM »
Well Flaggs I love all your old school gear but I'm glad your Artic Armor is the newest technology try to stay out of the soft water for the rest of the season.
  Ice Fishermen Walk on Water!

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:57 PM »
Wow..Glad to hear you are safe!!!  .How thick was the ice where you went through?    Did you get any warning ?  Any mushy feeling underfoot as you were walking in the area?

jb

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Glad to hear you got out safley. Thats some scarey crap. Good luck with getting your auger back.

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Wow Roger
Thank god your ok.
Sorry about your auger but if you don't retreive it you can replace it.
Your life can't.
MA

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:08 PM »
thank god your o.k. man thats some scary stuff !!!oh and thanks for the quality control on the ice armor i just bought !! ;D glad your o.k.....i really hope your able to retreive your auger !!!!!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:09 PM »
teamtip.. no warning whatsoever! There was about 4 inches of fresh snow cover and drift. it was a thin crust of ice and slush.. that was it...

Smeltecca.. Good advice   ;D  This was the first time I fished this and there must have been a spillway coming off the hill we climbed down... My wifes gift last year (AA suit) taskes on a whole new meaning   ;D  she sure is proud off herself and I'm proud of her!

Flaggs!
IceShanty.Com: "The best place to go ice fishing, when you can't go ice fishing!"   A Flaggs Orginal

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:10 PM »
Man.........glad to hear you are ok...scary stuff right there my freind

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:11 PM »
my girl got me an anchor for x mas  >:(you think there is a message there ?lol

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:12 PM »
Glad your ok!

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:14 PM »
my girl got me an anchor for x mas  >:(you think there is a message there ?lol

Only if it is made of lead and weights at least 15 pounds
MA

Offline 7 plus larry

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IF THEY CALLED IT CATCHING EVERYONE WOULD DO IT!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Flaggs glad to hear you are alright.Been there not fun at all,hope to get togther sometime.Keep safe

Offline capedeer/fish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:20 PM »
NOTHING worse ...................... Went through a few years ago...about 50  feet deep where i went in. was do to a spring in the lake even though the ice was 8 plus all over. Pencilled in at an angle and found myself under THICK ice. Tried to break through with my fists...no luck....After what seemed like 2 hours(minute or 2) I regrouped and swam straight down about 10 feet and looked up and  all around...saw the "light" from the hole about 12 feet away  swam to it and was helped out by a friend. Hands bloody..clothes froze solid by the time i made it off the ice!!!!!LIFE  is  good!

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:24 PM »
Glad your ok flaggs holy crap must have been freezing  :o
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Guys - There are some great pics at the end of this post... but I have a few things I want to share first:

A great day of fishing, but more importantly the safety of a fellow IS member was ensured and many mental notes were made by me since this afternoon. I'll keep it short... but here goes:
1. Roger - Boscoe and I are glad you're OK... that's the most important thing... nothing else even comes close in my book.
2. Guys here's some advice if you happen to go through:  #1 Rule - stay calm.. don't try to rapidly grab at edges.. they'll just break
3. Rolling yourself out is actually the quickest way.. trust me - I watched Roger do it TWICE in a row. Then get to a warm truck quick - get the wet stuff off asap.
4. If anyone is on the fence when buying an ice fishing suit... I can say WITHOUT A DOUBT Artic Armor does float and kept Roger on top of the water once he was horizontal. Enough said...
5. This pond had 6-8 inches of black ice and then all of a sudden just slush with just some snow on top ... most likely due to weeds/current, etc. Be careful on these snow covered ponds - conditions can change within a foot or two..
6. Lastly, fish together guys... can make all of the difference when you face trouble...

I also wanted to thank Boscoe of all of his assistance with retrieving all of Roger's gear and hauling it through the woods - you're strong as an ox kid!

Now for the pics - ENJOY and BE SAFE!

Boscoe with a nice pickerel

Boscoe with a 2.5 lb bass

Flaggs with a nice one

Flaggs with a 4lber

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:33 PM »
Glad that the auger was the only thing lost as it could have been your life. Glad that it turned out with you being able to tell us about it. I guess it goes back to the old saying that there is no such thing as safe ice.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:35 PM »
Glad to hear you made it out. I tested mine in September,the water was a lot warmer. It really does work.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline johnsaredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Wow, all these stories make me feel like selling all my ice gear. I have always imagined you would go through slow. Been scared of coming up under ice, chills to the bone.
Ice fishing is no catch and release sport.

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Roger **censored** Man I just got up from 30+ hour storm.Your auger can be replaced your life and friendship can't,I am glad your ok and thankful for Porter and Bosco.I will never go alone again never.I can't even imagin what was going thru your head at this time.Everyone laughed when I got my suit it  I hope it really help you out????.I know s&&it happens, but it really strike home when it happens to a friend.I am glad your ok.We have my gator and I would be happy to cut any and all holes for ya,a long with all your friends here on IS.Take care of you,for Christ sake again BE SAFE.                                                         Art
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline FROZEN SHINER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:51 PM »
ok third time trying to post what the heck is going on.FLAGGS BUDDY.glad you are ok what the heck would i do with one of my knee breakers gone. :'(thanks GOD you are out.porter and boscoe good recovery and help,thats true friendship.it make me think about sat morn i was leading uno out on the atv's dark in snow going to other side.all this cause my friend said he saw people all over ice.that was STUPID.sorry uno should had just followed shore and then cut across got lost and ended up crossing the middle.i knew better to i had a gut felling.NEVER AGAIN not worth it.flaggs how deep was water will go back wit ya and retrieve that bad larry.ill tie an anchor on a rope and snag it.also i i think about ten older tilts i want to give ya also a nice aqua blue cooler....lol :whistle:glad everyone is safe. ;D
Keep busting those holes and re-baiting those Indian Hill's

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #20 on: Jan 03, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Crap Roger. I'm glad you're ok. If you can't get your auger back, let me know. I have one you can borrow.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #21 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:17 PM »
glad your okay flaggs that must of sucked! sorry about your auger dude.
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline flaggs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Old School!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Thank you  guys for all your notes. Great bunch you guys are!  

It is pretty intense when it happens. This is the second time for me in 35 years, but the first time pretty much all-in!
The first time was a leg only. Those times when I would push the limit on ice thickness, I always played it out in my head on what I would do if I went in.. the Practice in my head definately played out today and take note of porters reflections..

It was a good day fishing!  the added excitement, we could have done without  ;)

Those of you who have gone in, I too am glad you're all good and here with us to talk about it!  intense..

Flaggs!  

Offline Powow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:42 PM »
roger, thank god your ok!!!  This is why i hate first ice with snow on it.  One thing i like to do is this. visit the lakes you intend to fish during the first stages of ice growth and note the springs and other areas that take longer to freeze.  ice changes so much day by day thats why i feel there is no such thing as safe ice.  do your homework guys and be safe. mike

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Flaggs, my heart was in my throat reading this! All I could think of is the sound of your voice... I know you weren't laughing today but I'm glad you can now. I can't believe this happened!!! I am glad you are safe and glad that you were fishing with such great guys. I hope you can smile reading these posts, and realize how many friends you have. Porter and Bosco,,, You guys are #1 in my book! Thank GOD everyone is safe now...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline GlovelessPro

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Got me a little shook up about walking out there now man... I was on 5.5-6" all day yesterday.... Someone was looking out for you on that one.
How can you be icefishing if you're sitting at your computer???

Offline Artic Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Wow im glad to hear your OK man, hope your doing well now! I was on 5'' of black ice today and it had 2'' of slush and 5 inches of snow on top of the ice :o and i thought i was safe :unsure: I was with my brother so i had someone with me...Now i know im going to be EXTRA cautious now when i go out again! Again glad your doing OK!
Fishaholic!

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 03, 2010, 11:41 PM »
Nice recovery sir!

, , ,

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 03, 2010, 11:43 PM »
it make me think about sat morn i was leading uno out on the atv's dark in snow going to other side.all this cause my friend said he saw people all over ice.that was STUPID.sorry uno should had just followed shore and then cut across got lost and ended up crossing the middle.i knew better to i had a gut felling.NEVER AGAIN  

Chad....  see below

quads are good to go. Just don't go right across the middle as that is the last place to freeze.

, , ,

Offline Dozindoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 04, 2010, 03:58 AM »
Flags, I'm going to have to show you the old goosestep ;D glad you made it out all right ;D 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.