The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Pics of walleye setups for tip-ups  (Read 6856 times)

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
Pics of walleye setups for tip-ups
« on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Anyone willing to post sime pictures of the business ends of thier tip-ups?

Offline outdoor junkie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's walleye time!
Re: Pics of walleye setups for tip-ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I always just use a quick set rig on all my tip ups, with red treble hooks.  I see they sell them pre made at Gander for like 2.99.  No waiting to set the hook, flag goes up reel is moving give it a tug and fish on.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:46 PM »
I always just use a quick set rig on all my tip ups, with red treble hooks.  I see they sell them pre made at Gander for like 2.99.  No waiting to set the hook, flag goes up reel is moving give it a tug and fish on.

Not sure what a quick set rig is.... right now all i have is a trebble hook at the end,  looking for pics so I have a better Idea of what to buy

Offline diddlepole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:52 PM »
one in the mouth, one in the back  ;D    I cant take credit for the pic, found it on yahoo.  Theyre really easy to make, save yourself some cash.   

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Thanks D, as I was told something like that was called a stinger rig!! I have some of those.  What else is everyone using?

Offline diddlepole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:00 PM »
i believe this is also considered a "quick strike rig".  correct me if i'm wrong please. 

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:11 AM »
I see that hook is tied to braid.  Wouldn't you need some leader?

Offline vipercat64

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:14 AM »
My question is: On which hook do you put the minnow, and what size minnow?

I love a flag!!!!

Offline sonar man

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • GILL MASTER
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2010, 07:17 AM »
Do any of you use lindy rigs on your tip ups?

Offline velocty98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:53 AM »
both hooks go into one minnow.

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 03, 2010, 09:56 AM »
one in the mouth, one in the back  ;D    I cant take credit for the pic, found it on yahoo.  Theyre really easy to make, save yourself some cash.   (Image removed from quote.)

You found walleyes that will put that mess in their mouth????? Your tip ups would rot without ever getting a flag in a clear water lake.

Offline EdS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:02 AM »
i use a #6 glow hook with a splitshot about a foot from hook on 8lb floro
works well in clear water ;D

Offline gbrebory

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:03 AM »
never caught an eye on a tipup thought they were more for pike always jigged the eyes they are real finniky round these part

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:04 AM »
i use a #6 glow hook with a splitshot about a foot from hook on 8lb floro
works well in clear water ;D

Now your talking a language I understand ;)

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:07 AM »
never caught an eye on a tipup thought they were more for pike always jigged the eyes they are real finniky round these part

Consistently do well on tip ups for eyes, if they are properly rigged and maintained. If you have any resistance from the spool as line is coming off forget it.

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #15 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:10 AM »
On tipups I use 6lb mono. no they will not cut it, it goes inbetween their teeth. I use the quick strike rig on larger suckers (5in or bigger) and on smaller minnows I use a small treble hook below the dorsel fin.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:36 AM »
I add a few colored beads and a small spinner blade to my tip ups.  I also use 8lb mono leader with a small treble hook.  No need for quick strike rigs and all that.  Set your tip up to ultra sensitive.  I get most of my walleyes on traps in winter. 

Offline The Splash

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 03, 2010, 03:17 PM »
 I only have had success on eyes on tip ups when using 6lb flouro to a small treble. One lake and it is very clear water.

Offline lfdiaff

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ducks, Bucks and Hardwater Nut
« Reply #18 on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:22 PM »
I have not been ice fishing very long, but I use 30lb braid with a 12" 30 leader. Two glow treble hooks and a couple beads and spinner. caught a 24" eye last night. Dirty lake though.

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2010, 06:15 AM »
Consistently do well on tip ups for eyes, if they are properly rigged and maintained. If you have any resistance from the spool as line is coming off forget it.

Hence the post...... looking for pics so I have a better idea or understand what I am trying to do

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 05, 2010, 07:31 AM »
Small & simple. a spool loaded with 20 lb. braid tied to a barrel swivel, 3-4 feet of 8 lb. fluorocarbon leader. A single #6 gamakatsu hook with a small single split shot about 1' above hook. I catch alot of perch on this setup also. I always run 3" emerald or lake shiners hooked very lightly under dorsal fin. I can't stress tip up maintenance enough. Don't test resistance in the house where it is warm, After drying them let them sit outside and check for tension. There should be none. I pull mine apart several times a season, clean and regrease. A stuff called blue lube works very well.

Three of these fish were taken off this setup.

The smallest one in this pic is 30" 10 lbs 2 oz and the largest is 32 5/8" 12 lb 7 oz. If you will also notice on the spool of the tip up is a small button. I run my braid through two of the button holes and it slides up and down the braid to mark my depth. Good luck, this works for me. Don't be Johnny on the spot when a flag pops with this rig. Give them 5 mins. or so to swallow. If undersized cut your hook and tie on a new one.

Aaron

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:21 AM »
How deep do you fish for eyes on a tip up?  Do you set it up in shallow water like you would for pike or do you find a deep hole and let that minnow down near the bottom?

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:40 AM »
thats the big thing.  Don't run to your flags cuz the wary walleye will drop it and take off.

I run my traps anywhere from 3 feet under the ice to 3 feet off the bottom depending on depth, lake, and light

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:45 PM »
How deep do you fish for eyes on a tip up?  Do you set it up in shallow water like you would for pike or do you find a deep hole and let that minnow down near the bottom?

Walleyes don't suspend in the winter, they are always on the bottom. I run mine 12-18" from the bottom. Fish the same area's you would in the summer, Humps, bumps, edge of weed beds, edges of drop offs, scatter lots of them across a mud flat with a group of guys, usually you will find a few "hot" holes. They will come into very shallow water after dark. I've caught lots of them in 2-3 feet after dark.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:56 PM »
I use my pike traps for Walleye. All my Eye rigs are tied on 6 or 8 pound test, 6-8' leaders. Small trebles and normally a stinger. Set hook right away, cut off rig if swallowed by undersized fish. I use a swivel on my Pike traps and remove the steel leader then replace with mono pretied rig. These rigs are tied in advance, about 20 of them at a time. I wind them around a long piece of foam insulation to prevent kinks, and have a rubber band that holds them in place as well as the hook embedded in the foam. Can switch from Pike to Eyes in a heartbeat no matter how many traps!!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #25 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:02 PM »
well now i know why i dont get any flags for wallys.i use my pike rig which is 30 pound tip up line splitshot wire leader an big ol treble.they see all that in clear water have to switch to a mono leader and smaller hook.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:08 PM »
well now i know why i dont get any flags for wallys.i use my pike rig which is 30 pound tip up line splitshot wire leader an big ol treble.they see all that in clear water have to switch to a mono leader and smaller hook.

Sure Doc, we all believe you use 20# steel or titanium leaders for your eyes....-QA-+ ::) ::)

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #27 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:14 PM »
sometimes its been on there.lol if you get a pike on do they easily break off the mono leader easily?

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:07 PM »
On some clear lakes with edumacated fish I use 12# TEST LEADERS ON pIKE AND HAVE NEVER BEEN BIT OFF FOR THE RECORD....FCL  ;)

Offline aaron21x2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:20 PM »
I've had them cut the 8 lb. It's not a common occurance but it does happen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.