The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Flasher Advice  (Read 1840 times)

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where did you put my beer?
Flasher Advice
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 08:59 PM »
I am looking into finding a flasher coming up here pretty soon, and would like to ask for some guidance with my decision. I need to keep it under $250 for the whole package. I really want to start fishing for crappie more,so I know this is the way to go, but does anybody have luck jigging for anything else like togue? The 3 brands I hear the most about are Vexilar, MarCum, and Humminbird and I've noticed different zoom levels/areas, different beam spreads on different transducers and all sorts of stuff. Can anybody help me narrow it down to a specific model that might suit my needs and budget? I a definitely not against picking up a used one.  Thanks in advance for your insight!
-J
I've got the itch... No, not that one. It's the good kind.
It's pronounced "fay-len" (the x's are silent)

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
Re: Flasher Advice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2009, 09:53 PM »
I would try to find a refurbished marcum. I won a marcum last year and it has done wonders for ice fishing. I use it for crappies and perch up in maine and down here in MA this year I have caught 33 rainbows with and and a ton of bluegills this year with it already. I highly recommend a marcum. I don't like the clarity of vexilars but can't speak about hummingbirds an others. I am using a VX-1 and it does everything I need. i will be trying it out on togue later this year.

Offline chief613

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ....but why does it always happen to me!?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 04:52 AM »
take a look at a Lowrance x67cits a finder/flasher mode. I have the Lowrance and a vex  i use them both. The vex work great for warm water species, the Lowrance seams better for togue in the finder mode, togue don't seem to hang in the water column like perch or crappy might. If you look up to check your traps then back at the screen , one a flasher you probably wont see a togue come up to check your bait and back to the bottom, the finder has a graph that would record a fish, or have an audible alarm

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:04 AM »
I've got a Vexilar FL-18 and I love it.  The zoom is a critical feature.  I didn't know how nice it was to have until I got it.  I can see my 1/100 oz crappie jigs on it.  They can be expensive though.  I've heard good things about the Marcum, though I've never used one.  They run $100 or so cheaper than the Vexilars.  Try looking on ebay.  You can get some good deals on there.  I got a new underwater camera system for my bass boat for $900, they are over $2000 in Bass Pro and Cabelas.

Offline cdc

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:47 AM »
X2 on the Lowrance.
 I don't leave home without it.
Works great in all species of fish.
I use it to set traps. It will mark your bait and sinker/ swivel when going down through the water column.
Plus you can use it in the boat/canoe.
 Good luck with whatever you choose...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2009, 05:56 AM »
I also have both vex and 67c like them both , buy what your budget will allow , just my .02

Offline nofishin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2009, 06:28 AM »
i have the vex fl-8 and love it.  works awesome on togue.  i can see my jig at 120' down no problems

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:16 AM »
I have a Marcum VX1-P. I think you can get a new one for around $250. It does everything I need. I use it mostly just to check depths and get my bait down exactly where I want it. Jigging is a blast with it as well for perch and crappie. Definitely the best ice fishing tool I have ever bought. Well worth the investment.

Offline Blind Squirrel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:27 AM »
I was watching In-Fisherman this weekend and they were using a Showdown Digital fishfinder for jigging. Has anyone ever seen one of these. It looks pretty cool.
Even a Blind Squirrel finds a nut once in a while

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:29 AM »
xphelanx,  I too am looking for ice-fishing sonar right now.  I am limited by funds as well.  I recently watched a show called Ice Fishing Guide (a weekly show). It featured a new technology (vertical digital display). The unit was awesome and he used it to catch crappie, perch, lakers, and walleye.  The display seems so much easier to read than traditional flashers. The cost of a brand new one is around $250.  They are called "ShowDown Digital Fishfinders".  You may want to check them out. They are sold out everywhere locally, but I think Gander Mountain may have recently become the exclusive distributor. Anyway, I think that they are the wave of the future for ice-fishing and more affordable. Maybe someone on here knows more or has one. Good Luck!
I fish.                                                         

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:30 AM »
Can't go wrong with Marcum or Vexilar.  I have a Zercom Colorpoint, which I love, but they don't make them anymore.  I think the Marcums are designed after them.  Watch eBay.
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 08:51 AM »
xphelanx,  I too am looking for ice-fishing sonar right now.  I am limited by funds as well.  I recently watched a show called Ice Fishing Guide (a weekly show). It featured a new technology (vertical digital display). The unit was awesome and he used it to catch crappie, perch, lakers, and walleye.  The display seems so much easier to read than traditional flashers. The cost of a brand new one is around $250.  They are called "ShowDown Digital Fishfinders".  You may want to check them out. They are sold out everywhere locally, but I think Gander Mountain may have recently become the exclusive distributor. Anyway, I think that they are the wave of the future for ice-fishing and more affordable. Maybe someone on here knows more or has one. Good Luck!
Looking at the info videos for this unit makes me want to order it right now! I really like the idea of it being smaller than a traditional flasher, and the longer battery life is key. Does anybody have one of these units? I am -very- interested to know if anybody has some experience with it.

Offline LittleMac

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:11 AM »
I have a feeling RedBandit850 is going to post on this topic... He'll let you know  ;)

Offline yankem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:59 AM »
I bought a marcum XP-1 last year for about $250 and it works great in deep water for togue or shallow water for crappie.  1000watts peak to peak for the money you can't beat it..... 

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:13 AM »
ANY Flasher is better then no flasher.  I would definetly choose a marcum over a vexilar if you had the choice.  In your price range you are probably going to want to find a used or refurbished Marcum.  You could also try to find a humminbird ICE-35.  I have a ICE-55 and it has done wonders for my fishing.

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:42 AM »
As for the SHOWDOWN!  I was very dissapointed with this unit.   I purchased one last year after hearing/reading about it.  I returned it after 2 trips.  Supposivly it is easier to read, unfortunatly I found that the transducer was picking up so much crap I couldnt tell what may have been a fish and what may have been something else.  I have heard they have had 2 different uprgrades from the version I had and mabey they have fixed the issues I was having with it.  But IMHO there is no comparison to a color flasher.

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:49 AM »
Looking at the info videos for this unit makes me want to order it right now! I really like the idea of it being smaller than a traditional flasher, and the longer battery life is key. Does anybody have one of these units? I am -very- interested to know if anybody has some experience with it.

If you've ever used a higher end traditional fishfinder in the A-scope mode,that is basically how the showdown works.I like the fact that it's 1000 watts rms power,very powerful for deep jigging togue,also has the zoom function.I converted my furuno color finder that I use offshore into an ice machine and use the split graph/A-scope screen.Works excellent to say the least.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/other/other/a-scope-the-condensed-sonar-picture-22670.html

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:51 AM »
As for the SHOWDOWN!  I was very dissapointed with this unit.   I purchased one last year after hearing/reading about it.  I returned it after 2 trips.  Supposivly it is easier to read, unfortunatly I found that the transducer was picking up so much crap I couldnt tell what may have been a fish and what may have been something else.  I have heard they have had 2 different uprgrades from the version I had and mabey they have fixed the issues I was having with it.  But IMHO there is no comparison to a color flasher.

I'm sure in shallow water you would have to pay very close attention to your gain settings to weed out the clutter because of the unit's power.

Offline Westerly

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Formerly bbpinecone
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:01 AM »
If you plan on doing a lot of togue jigging in 100 or feet of water or more, the marcum vx1 is pretty much useless.  Save up for something with a transducer that can get down around 10 degrees.  Otherwise, I've been very happy with the vx1 - works great!  

Offline mike78

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:55 AM »
check ebay for all of the flashers listed i have the vex fl-8 with a 9/19 tranducer and i love it i cant see spending 500 for the fl-20 i used a friends in wisconsin last week and its nice but not 500 nice 
yellow perch and crappie are King

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:56 PM »
I'd like to thank everyone for their valuable input on this. We have a great crew on here, and this is just one small reason why. Thanks again, and I'll post again once I've got everything sorted out  ;D

Offline Sinnian

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • PM me
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Jeremy find another $50 from somewhere and get a Humminbird ICE 35.  It has the dual trans and zoom at $299 at Cabela's.  Let me know when you want to go out again  ;D

Offline xphelanx

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Dec 30, 2009, 01:39 PM »
Jeremy find another $50 from somewhere and get a Humminbird ICE 35.  It has the dual trans and zoom at $299 at Cabela's.  Let me know when you want to go out again  ;D
Hey, "Josh" who's this Jeremy guy? :P

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 30, 2009, 02:28 PM »
I was watching In-Fisherman this weekend and they were using a Showdown Digital fishfinder for jigging. Has anyone ever seen one of these. It looks pretty cool.

My friend got one last year (they have supposedly improved this years model) he got it for $229 now they are around 280, we did not like it and returned it for a shapell 4000 ...... has gotten much more use, and we use a humminbird 55 ice NICE unit.  Go with an fl8 or Marcum vx1 or if you can fork over the extra 50 then the ice 35 more features than any of them and the ZOOM IS SWEET!!!.  

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.