The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boysen Reports?  (Read 12353 times)

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Boysen Reports?
« Reply #60 on: Jan 25, 2010, 02:32 PM »
It was a great day and we have a date for the weekend after the tourney weather permitting.  I have been lucky to have had the chance to work with individuals with disabilities for over 25 years.  Right now I work with high school student so the disabled folks are just a project I do on the side. 
olefish

Offline ryaninwy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 25, 2010, 03:50 PM »
Olefish that was a great story.... Its amazing how good it makes a person feel, when you do something so nice for other people... I just wish there was more people like you in this world...
This Icefishing obsession i have never melts away....

Offline trfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish On
« Reply #62 on: Jan 25, 2010, 07:17 PM »
 :) Hey Olefish  Thanks for sharing your fishing story and for lending a helping hand to others in need.  I always say we all need to sit down and take a look around at what we have and how good we have it even if it sometimes is a struggle.  theres always someone else having harder times than ourselves.   Those are the trips and things that make the best memories in life.  Keep up the good work
Love to Fish and make Soft Plastic baits<br /><br />Just doesnt get any better than catching fish off your own panfish/ trout baits   from tubes, curly tails, and small baits catching fish of any species

Offline icefishing J

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:09 PM »
Good story, Made me Smile, thank for sharing ;D
Just making Swiss Ice

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 25, 2010, 08:22 PM »
just got back, ran down and fished with a friend for 2.5 hours and guess what o.o bites and it is turning colder again. So bring your long johns boys and girls.
olefish

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
« Reply #65 on: Jan 26, 2010, 12:07 AM »
 Olefish, WTO !!! That is a a story from the heart. Thanks for sharing!  ;)    :tipup:

WyoIce
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Feb 07, 2010, 11:48 AM »
I had a great time Sunday afternoon, I took a young man from Riverton who had a brain injury.  He has trouble remembering stuff and understanding instructions which tend to make him get upset. Well he was having to much fun to get agitated .  Our first flag was just a messed up minnow and he was happy we had got a bite.  Our nest flag was a perch and he was pulling the line so fast he had it 3 feet in the air before I could say slow down. Then we missed another fish and he kept saying I want a walleye. Well his wish came true and he caught a nice 16 incher on the next flag, again he raced it to the serfice.  We practice how fast you should bring the fish up and he felt he was ready again.  His next fish was an 18 inch walleye that came out of the hole so fast it hit me in the face.  I was trying to center the line over the hole with my hand while he was bring it up and so, Have you kissed your walleye lately? So He is really pumped up now, we get another flag,and I say slow and easy, as I get hold of the line to set the hook and hand the it to him, again I am centering the line over the hole. This it is  a much larger fish and he starts out OK but just as it gets to the hole he kicks in overdrive and knocks it off on the bottom of the hole.  The next thing I know the hook is in my hand and he  screams it big real big and I am scream no its me, its me. He looks down at me and ask if it got away, then apologises, back to fishing school we go.  We are just getting ready to quite when we get another flag.  The minnow is gone and he is bummed. I put on anther minnow and drop it down the hole. We barely turn our backs and the flag pops up, I pull off a little line and feel the line tighten and set the hook and hand him the line, he is still to fast and I say slow down this is a good fish.  He follows my request and we see a big head come-up into the hole. I reach down and scoop a big fat 22  inch walleye on to the ice. You would have thought it was a world record.  He keeps say holy --- over and over and says that its his biggest fish ever.  His joy says it all and he has made my day, month and year in just 3 hours of time. 

Well went fishing again Saturday and we had lots of bights and only landed 1 perch and 1 ling.  He was unsure of the slimy ling but was excited all the same. He broke off 2 fish and I am unsure why but he handled great.  Well have a great day olefish
olefish

Offline Matt R.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jeg er de beste eice fisker mon!
« Reply #67 on: Feb 07, 2010, 01:20 PM »
We fished five mile and got 2 rainbows, 21 1/2" each. still no ling....... Nice weather and great ice though.

Offline trogdor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Burninating
« Reply #68 on: Feb 07, 2010, 03:02 PM »
Thanks olefish, that put a big smile on my face.

I help with special olympics powerlifting and there is nothing better than an athlete putting up a PR lift.
Tu ne cede malis

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Thanks olefish, that put a big smile on my face.

I help with special olympics powerlifting and there is nothing better than an athlete putting up a PR lift.

I started helping and working in rehab in 1984 after a work accident,90 days in the hospital and 2 years in rehab.. It just worked for me and its something you learn to enjoy and need to do.
olefish

Offline stumpm2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 13, 2010, 03:41 PM »
Went to Boysen yesterday caught a couple of fish in the morning, it was slow all afternoon and then picked up around four to six and ended up with a limit of 2 pound walleyes, one 6# walleye and one 7# walleye released, and two ling.  Broke a big walleye off on the jigging pole because my drag was froze and I couldn't get her head turned up the hole.  All other fish were on tip ups.  All in all a great day and the weather was great and ice was 28" with about 3 inches of snow on top.

Offline Icatchfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:05 PM »
nice fish stump-mind sharing where you were fishing?

Offline stumpm2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Feb 13, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Down by Fremont in about 14' of water.

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #73 on: Feb 15, 2010, 09:15 AM »
Nice catch stump, congrats.

Offline olefish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Feb 15, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Way to go, they kicked my back side so I am glad somebody found them.
olefish

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 15, 2010, 08:17 PM »
Nice goin, 3 of us fished fremont yesterday with only one flag. Keep it up, some of us can just dream this season.

Offline trapper82601

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Feb 18, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Sunday took a break from the hard water at Boysen, went down by the dam , ran across some fresh bear prints , they were approx a 16" long or more. So I thought let him have the spot, no bites anyways in a hr or so. than I went down by the tunnels & I couldnt figure out what bait *not* to use , so much for taking a nap. I tossed back at least ten all were over 20" but they were real dark almost black  rainbows with the stocker tails, (aka big bite no fight.) Guy next to me broke off a prize & a half. I bet it was at least 30" if not more. http://

Offline Wind River Kid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((^)))*>
« Reply #77 on: Feb 18, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Sunday took a break from the hard water at Boysen, went down by the dam , ran across some fresh bear prints , they were approx a 16" long or more. So I thought let him have the spot, no bites anyways in a hr or so. than I went down by the tunnels & I couldnt figure out what bait *not* to use , so much for taking a nap. I tossed back at least ten all were over 20" but they were real dark almost black  rainbows with the stocker tails, (aka big bite no fight.) Guy next to me broke off a prize & a half. I bet it was at least 30" if not more. http://
Seems kinda early for Yogi and Boo Boo to leave the cave!! ???

Offline Icefishur03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:23 PM »
Hit Boysen Tuesday night and did not leave the ice until friday morning. With the storm blowin in I had to earn each fish caught through hours of jigging per fish. End result: 2 Ling, 4 perch, 7 Trout. Im gonna cry if I make another trip this year with no walleye.

P.S. My dog is still mad she had to sleep in the snow for three nights.

Offline stumpm2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Feb 27, 2010, 03:51 PM »
Anyone fish Boysen recently?  I am planning on heading that way next weekend and I was just looking for some more recent reports.  Thanks.

Offline bbkyle35

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Feb 27, 2010, 05:17 PM »
my dad is out there today. don't know how he is doing though
Activly studying to manage your Wyoming waters

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #81 on: Feb 27, 2010, 09:45 PM »
Weather warming up like it is, we ought to start getting some good bull-perch reports pretty soon.  ::)

Offline jiga_guppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Feb 28, 2010, 04:24 PM »
Amen :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:
If you are going to cry be quick about it. Then get back to fishing.

Offline AJL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:23 PM »
Will the perch be heading up closer to the ice or staying deep when it warms like this?
Wishn 4 Fishn

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #84 on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:25 PM »
...just off the bottom, schooled, if like years past, in about 50-60 FOW...I hope  ;)

Offline AJL

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Feb 28, 2010, 10:29 PM »
...just off the bottom, schooled, if like years past, in about 50-60 FOW...I hope  ;)
Thanks,  I'm headn out this coming weekend.  Probably try by north and south muddy, would like to snag an eye, heard any info.
Alan

Wishn 4 Fishn

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #86 on: Mar 01, 2010, 09:57 AM »
my dad is out there today. don't know how he is doing though

Fished all day sat, one flag, no fish  :(  South muddy area.  On the good side it was a beautiful day, got to work on my tan  ;D

Also got to put my new gator to the test, 20 8" holes thru 30" of ice, and it was still going strong with no noticeable loss of speed. It is a little heavy though, that's the only bad thing i can say about it ;D

Offline Moose-51

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Here kitty kitty kitty.
« Reply #87 on: Mar 01, 2010, 11:23 AM »

Ooooh new gator.  Thanks for that tid-bit I've been looking at them. 

You can charge it in your car / truck right?  I'm leaning towards a gator but I don't know if I go out for a weekend if it will have enough juice for 2-3 days of active fishing.  but 20 holes through 30"
 of ice is pretty impressive.  I mean, that is what like 40 holes through 15"?  roughly 80 holes through 8"?  I guess if you are concerned about long weekend trips you could invest in a spare battery or two.  (they are 50$ ea.).  Three of them would be quite a lot of drilling power. 

I guess a bonus is that if you run out of juice you can disassemble and go the hand auger route.  Maybe I'll just hold off and see what is new @ gator for next year, I've read rumors about the ion battery coming down in price which A) adds to charge length and B) lightens the load which seems to be your main concern.

What auger bit do you have on ?  Strikemaster, nils, ect?  How was the speed?  (Sorry for all the questions feel free to reply by PM if you wish.) Thanks though, appreciate the report. 
"Can you smell em yet?"

Offline WYeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishoholic
« Reply #88 on: Mar 01, 2010, 05:39 PM »
Moose ill send you a pm

Offline dopinwind

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Mar 02, 2010, 09:23 AM »
Fished Boysen Sunday with a buddy south of Wilson Bay.  We ended up with about 35 nice big perch.  Fishin in about 50 feet of water. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.