Author Topic: Newcomers  (Read 3550 times)

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Newcomers
« on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:18 AM »
I see lots of new names on the board this year. Might be nice if some of ya introduce yourselves and maybe tell a little bit about your fishin and location. I think you might get more responces on some of your questions. Or not, just a thought.

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Newcomers
« Reply #1 on: Dec 27, 2009, 06:31 PM »
I am a newcomer to this website!  I live in Dover NH.  I have been fishing up in northern Maine for years but not too much down here.  I hit up Bellamy a couple of times last year but that's it for NH.  I plan on doing a lot more fishing in NH this year now that the kids are old enough to go out and really enjoy it.  I usually fish for trout and lakers (and salmon, which is allowed in Maine) but go out for pickerel quite often too just to make sure the kids have fun!  I don't know too much about the lakes around here so I've been reading a lot of the posts here looking for info - thanks everybody!  I'm going up to Umbagog this weekend for my first trip of the year - if anybody has any good locations/tips for up there I'd appreciate it!  Have a good season everybody!!!
TP

Offline IceJake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Hi, I got on here last season, but didn't get to fish much. I have camp in Wakefield and go out with my 8 and 10 year old sons. We have pretty good luck on bass. I would really like some help with lakers or trout if anyone is in the area and wants to give some tips. Thanks and tight lines!

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 04:15 AM »
Welcome to the sight guys.(As you can tell by the photo's)Lots of good fisherman dwell in the nh shanty.You can learn a lot from them, I know I have.The laker talk will pick up soon enough after the big lakes thicken up. Good luck. Mike

Offline anrik1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gotch Ya !!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2009, 05:34 AM »
Welcome Guys,

Good to see new names on the list.  Great site here with great fisherman. I've learned a lot of info from all these guys.  I've also get really pissy when all these awsome photos get posted of fish after I spend the day on the lake getting nothing but frostbite. LOL  Welcome

Rick
The Ice Hole

Offline beaglebill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2009, 06:49 AM »
Hi,

I live in Hooksett and got back into ice fishing a couple of years ago. I grew up in the Lakes Region, and as kids, we fished all winter (Opechee, Paugus, Lilly Pond ect.)

My 15 yr old son, and I, like to chase flags and have been hitting the smaller ponds around here as well as Massy.

Have assembled all the gear in the last couple of years including a new Eskimo power auger at the end of last season.

Thanks for all the info.....this site is very entertaining.

Bill

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:10 AM »
Beaglebill, Stompa13i, Ice Jake, Welcome guys. Have a safe hardwater season.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:17 AM »
Welcome aboard.  Fun site with plenty of information.

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:19 AM »
I wonder if we could put upa sticky for intros?  :)

Offline mosred

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bucktails
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:02 AM »
Hi,

I live in Hooksett and got back into ice fishing a couple of years ago. I grew up in the Lakes Region, and as kids, we fished all winter (Opechee, Paugus, Lilly Pond ect.)

My 15 yr old son, and I, like to chase flags and have been hitting the smaller ponds around here as well as Massy.

Have assembled all the gear in the last couple of years including a new Eskimo power auger at the end of last season.

Thanks for all the info.....this site is very entertaining.

Bill

Hey Beaglebill,

I also live in Hooksett and I am always looking to meet up with new folks to fish.  PM me sometime and let's fish locally.  Once the big lakes close up I will spend more of my time up north.

Rob
Gone fishin, be back at dark-thirty!

Offline salmon stalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:31 AM »
welcome guys. Looking forward to reading your posts and seeing some pics.  If you guys have any questions don;t be shy, plenty of great info here from a lot of talented fisherman

Good luck on the ice!
The outdoors, a real mans playground!!!

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:57 AM »
welcome to the shanty guys
   hooksett is a great central location plenty of water north and south as well as local i'm sure you already know ...wakefeild is also a very good lacation !!good fishing to be had by all and all the info needed right here on the shanty !!hope you all have a good season and looking foward to seeing some pics !!
      FINLESS

Offline ThreeDogs

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 28, 2009, 11:04 AM »
I joined the site last year, but never got the chance to get out fishing. I picked up a few traps before WallyWorld sold out of them. Hope to get a jigging rod and a manual auger very soon.

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:13 PM »
I am a newcomer to this website!  I live in Dover NH.  I have been fishing up in northern Maine for years but not too much down here.  I hit up Bellamy a couple of times last year but that's it for NH.  I plan on doing a lot more fishing in NH this year now that the kids are old enough to go out and really enjoy it.  I usually fish for trout and lakers (and salmon, which is allowed in Maine) but go out for pickerel quite often too just to make sure the kids have fun!  I don't know too much about the lakes around here so I've been reading a lot of the posts here looking for info - thanks everybody!  I'm going up to Umbagog this weekend for my first trip of the year - if anybody has any good locations/tips for up there I'd appreciate it!  Have a good season everybody!!!
I will be in umbagog also this weekend.  Hopefully on Friday and again on Sat.  Last Sat only 4" of good ice.  I will be just off the boat launch a few hundred yards out.  I usually have my bob-house out there but not enough ice yet.

Chief

Offline Chiefbush

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 28, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Welcome guys, hope to see all of you at the NH get-together in Feb.

Chief

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:08 AM »
Hi guys,
I just joined today and live in Londonderry. I started ice fishing (again) about 4 years ago and fish anywhere south of 89, east of 13 all the way to the coast south of Rt 4. The last two seasons I have run the ice fishing portion of the cub scout Winter Carnival event for the Nutfield Districut of the DWC and it has been absolutely GREAT getting dozens of kids into their first ever fish during the event. Many parents  have told me it was the kids favorite part of the event and that their kids are now bugging them to pick up some gear.

I fish warmwater species almost exclusively but this year I had a buddy buy some property on a well stocked brook trout pond. Any advice for targeting brookies would be appreciated. Specifically:
-bait
-depth of water
-depth of bait in the water column
...would be appreciated. Do you target brookies the same as you do 'bows? My understanding is bows are right under the ice is shallow water over sandy bottom...

Offline ErikR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I joined the Shanty this month, wish I had done it sooner.

I have fished south western NH since the early 70's, I grew up 1 mile from the Connecticut river and that  river is still my favorite place in the world to fish. I love to fish in general, but ice fishing is my passion.

It is great to see so many others who share my love of hard water fishing

Thanks to you all

ErikR

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:35 AM »
Welcome to the shanty everyone,good luck out there. :tipup:

Offline PHISHNH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:39 AM »
My wife got me into ice fishing 3 years ago when we visited Millinockett ME.  I fell in love with smelting for rainbow smelt and I caught a laker when we went out.  That hooked me.  I live in Manchester NH and rarely get to go out between work school and the young one at home.  I cant wait till shes a bit older and I can bring her with me.  I figure I will get out about 10 times this year.  I usually hit up Northern ME 1-2 times a year and hit up Waterbury Resevoir 1-2 times a year in Stove VT since we visit friends up there.  Last season I scouted places looking for rainbow smelt and trout.  Mascoma was OK with me taking 20 smelt in a day but no trout.  I went 2 more times and found the trout but the smelt were not around.  I hit up Deering Resevoir and caught nothing but yellow perch.  I want to hit up Winni a bit this year.  If anyone nkows a good place that I could park, hike in my gear, and set up for smelt on winni or anywhere else I would be really appreciative of you letting me know.  I am traveling from Manchester though and prefer not to go to pittsburg.  I realize it might be a week or so till I can hit winni up

Offline lostsoutherner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:05 AM »
Hi all!  I am a new member to the site but by no means just finding it  ;).  I have only been living in the great state of New Hampshire for about four years so I am still new to ice fishing.

I live in Salem, NH and have fished all the usual suspects (canobie, cobbetts, robinson, and big island) starting two years ago I also started fishing a small pond near Wolfboro that I decided last year to put a hard sided shack on.

I will fish for anything so if you are in the Salem area and want to hit a local spot hit me up.

Offline JimB

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone thinking
« Reply #20 on: Dec 30, 2009, 11:30 AM »
Hi, joined the site about a year ago and started to chat just recently.I live in Nashua,and will travel just about anywhere to fish for just about anything.I already had the chance to hook up with NHTF,and had a great time with Keith.If your in the area let me know always looking to hook up on the lake.

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:34 PM »

I fish warmwater species almost exclusively but this year I had a buddy buy some property on a well stocked brook trout pond. Any advice for targeting brookies would be appreciated. Specifically:
-bait
-depth of water
-depth of bait in the water column
...would be appreciated. Do you target brookies the same as you do 'bows? My understanding is bows are right under the ice is shallow water over sandy bottom...

Welcome to Ice Shanty!!! ;D

For Brookies...I would generally stick to the shorelines and shallow water....1 to 6ft +/- depending on how gradual the drop off ...small shiners, night-crawlers, and power-bait, all work pretty well....If you're fishing a six line/per angler lake...I would set up at least 3 like I mentioned....but would experiment with depths/baits on the others to find what is working that day/location....Then adjust from there to what is working... ;)----   NHTF

Offline Flag-up-in-NH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:16 AM »
Hello NH ice-fisherman....this is my first post & I'm glad to find the site/forum.  I grew up in upstate NY fishing Vermont & NY but came to school here in NH...that's when I started ice-fishing. So I've been fishing NH waters (mostly Lakes Region) for about 17 years & I hope to live here for a long time. I live in the Seacoast & started a family over the last few years....which kinda slowed down the ice-fishing & weekend trips! However, my boy is old enough to go with me now & he loves it.  I think we got out 7 or 8 times last year & he hadn't turned 3 yet. Bottom line is I love ice-fishing & the serenity that comes along with it...to some extent, I need it for my mental health. Anyway...I'm really psyched about this site & look forward to learning from all of you. Now I will read the Bow Lake thread cause I might get out there this weekend

Offline MikeF-NH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:32 AM »
Hi Flag up,
UNH?

Sounds like you are in the Stafford area. Drop me an email and I will give you a nice very small pond to fish. It's a hike in if there is snow but you will be the only one there and it's brimming with largemouth and pickerel and you'll be a mile from the nearest house.

Offline ADK NH GUY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:38 PM »
Hello NH ice-fisherman....this is my first post & I'm glad to find the site/forum.  I grew up in upstate NY fishing Vermont & NY but came to school here in NH...that's when I started ice-fishing. So I've been fishing NH waters (mostly Lakes Region) for about 17 years & I hope to live here for a long time. I live in the Seacoast & started a family over the last few years....which kinda slowed down the ice-fishing & weekend trips! However, my boy is old enough to go with me now & he loves it.  I think we got out 7 or 8 times last year & he hadn't turned 3 yet. Bottom line is I love ice-fishing & the serenity that comes along with it...to some extent, I need it for my mental health. Anyway...I'm really psyched about this site & look forward to learning from all of you. Now I will read the Bow Lake thread cause I might get out there this weekend
Welcome Flag Up.  I learned to Ice Fish on Sacandaga Lake in the Adirondacks.  My wife and I moved here 8 years ago from Syracuse, NY.  Anyhow, you can't beat the fishing here in NH and the people and information on this site!
A mans Shanty is his Castle

Offline Wakefieldfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 31, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Welcome to Wakefield Icejake. I been fishing this area my whole life, know many of the local lake's like the back of my hand. If your looking for laker's Great East Lake is full of em. Lots of shorts but an occasional lunker is caught. The rainbow fishing is fair and the lower basin can be a ball jigging pan fish. Get a map and fish the humps and you should do fine.

Offline cabrown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:00 PM »
  Hi all, I am new to the site. I live in the lakes region and enjoy fishing any chance I get. I enjoy fishing for rainbows and brookies when I get a chance to fish during the week. The weekends I like to chase flags with the kids nothing like seeing the smiles that last all day. I look forward to posting some stories and reading them throughout the year. Good luck and be safe

Offline samson75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2010, 11:04 PM »
Hi I'm new to the site,but have been reading the post for about 2yrs now. And finally decided to chime in. I live in the goffstown area. And do quit a bite of fishing both hard and soft water. I have learned alot about ice fishing threw this site. And with alot of trial and error. Can wait to see how the season goes. I'll post some pic as the season goes on. I have gone out fishing local and had some success a couple of bass and perch. Jigging. I did go north to a honey hole and caught some nice brookies. Have fun guys.

Offline troutnailer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:05 AM »
Hi all.
   Been hanging arround here a couple of years now, and finally decided to sign up. Been on the warm side for a year or so. live in Gilford. so drop a line if you wish.
    Larry G

Offline Altonbayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • of all liars; fisherman are the most trustworthy.
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:45 AM »
Hey, Im new to this site also. My name is Joe B.  im 31 yo. I grew up in Chelmsford, MA and I bought a house with a dock on the Merrymeeting river 1 1/2 years ago in Alton Bay and live there year round.  I ice fished 51 days last winter and spend alot of time on the hard and open waters of Winnipesaukee.  I am usually a fishlakewinni.com guy, but decided to sign up here as that site slows down the winter.  I target coldwater species.  I should be putting out my shack soon on Alton Bay (hard side built out of old pop up camper with woodstove).  A friend of mine who scuba dove around Alton Bay said that there are 5 foot tall pyramid sized piles of empty beer cans and bottles all around the bandstand area from ice fisherman dropping them into the lake from inside their bobhouses. I know that Shanty members have more respect for the water than that, but if I see this happening I will take swift and forcefull action. I almost threw a guy who was salmon fishing off the Mount Washington dock in Alton Bay last year just after ice out to retreive the cigarette butts he was flicking into the lake- until he agreed to net them out of the lake when they floated toward shore. I have been fishing this lake since I was 8 and intend on protecting its beauty for the next generations. Also, I have family on one of the big islands on Winni where I spent alot of time as a kid, and in very early spring of 1989 just after ice out I was on the dock in the morning and saw what looked to be a 40-50 pound laker busting through a school of 12- 18" fallfish in about 10 feet of water.  So trust me; there are still monsters in the Smile of the Great Spirit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.