Author Topic: Cabela's underwater Camera  (Read 16957 times)

Offline Perch Killer

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Cabela's underwater Camera
« on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:26 PM »
Hey Guys, I'm looking at getting one of Cabela's underwater camera's. Seems like a decent price for the amount of fishing I do. I'm looking for any info you guys may have that own one. Do you like it, pro's con's, etc.
thanks
Bill

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Cabela's underwater Camera
« Reply #1 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:27 PM »
I have the 5.5 and it works great. Better then a fishTV
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:32 PM »
Hey Guys, I'm looking at getting one of Cabela's underwater camera's. Seems like a decent price for the amount of fishing I do. I'm looking for any info you guys may have that own one. Do you like it, pro's con's, etc.
thanks
Bill

Im with BBK they are nice! Just be sure to get the little tri-pod you can buy separate...it makes it a lot easier to aim the camera

Offline smitty0312

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Build A Smitty Sled.......it's a back & lung saver
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:33 PM »
I just sent mine back to Cabelas for an exchange.....moisture inside the camera, only used it twice this past fall just trying it out. Wanted to use it on the ice for the 1st time last Sat. and found the problem, hopefully just a lemon, I bought it based on 200 reviews, avg. 4.1 stars out of 5. However , cabelas is standing behind it 100%. Hope the new one works out better, I just can't stand the 3 week turn-around time to get the new one. Smitty
[email protected] if you don't have a FB account.....or search "The Original Smitty Sled" on FB....thank you

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:37 PM »
They are great ... but only really for scouting trips to potential hot-spots.  I would only buy one AFTER the flasher. Anybody I know that owns both flasher and camera will tell you the same thing. I don't recommend using it to fish with all the time, that's what the flasher is for.  But it's great for marking spots on a GPS.  The Cabela's camera work just as good as the Aqua-Vu ... IMO.  

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:38 PM »
I hae seen the new panning camera in action, and it is slick.  it has got very bad reviews on cabela's, but the three times I have used my buddies this year, it has worked to perfection.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:46 PM »
Have had one of the original 7" since they came out a few years ago. Excellent, without a hint of trouble. Some friends with the "NAME" brand ones like mine better. Have a camera compass to aim it underwater (basically a frisbee with a slit and cable/depth holder cleat)

Offline beerbellybob106

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:49 PM »
i got the 5.5" one last year and it works great the only thing is the aiming part but is you buy one of those tripods you should be set

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:52 PM »
This might help http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=121034.msg1183678;topicseen Once the camera settles into its position, just spin the disk

Offline wshnIwsfshn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I got the cabelas 7 inch camara last winter works great the only thing I would to is make/buy a  camara compass( redrockstore .com) for it so you you can tell what direction the eye is facing  

Offline ducktape6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2009, 05:57 PM »
I just got the advanced angler panning camera II. Haven't got a chance to use on the ice yet, but seems pretty nice in the house messing with it. The first camera they came out with had some issues. I no they switched to a Sony camera. It is on sale for 209.99 originally 299.99.
I walk on water but I ain’t no Jesus I walk on water but only when it freezes.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:36 PM »
I just got the advanced angler panning camera II. Haven't got a chance to use on the ice yet, but seems pretty nice in the house messing with it. The first camera they came out with had some issues. I no they switched to a Sony camera. It is on sale for 209.99 originally 299.99.

Please let me know what you think of the new camera. They added the sony ccd camera like the non-panning camera has in it. This should be much better than last years model. 
Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts on this new camera.

JIGGIN.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 24, 2009, 12:28 PM »
I got one of the 5.5" ones last year to use for my kids but I liked it better than my other one so now use it.  Then last weekend my other one went bad while out with the daughter and went and got the one menards has on sale and it looks just like the one from cabelas except the soft case is blue.  will see how it works
<br />

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 24, 2009, 12:30 PM »
Aqua vu makes the fishcam at menards. Marcum makes the ones at cabelas.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 24, 2009, 02:22 PM »
I couldn't find the research I did when I was looking at the cameras, but I learned somewhere that the Cabelas was just a rebrand of one of the others.  My recollection was that it was the Fish TV. 
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline alaskaruss1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 25, 2009, 01:27 PM »
I have had the 7 for three years now without any problems...tripod or compass is a must

Offline 3Ponder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2009, 02:31 PM »
Thanks for all this input...  I was just looking at these today.

Sniff, sniff, Santa didn't bring me one!  :'(

Offline DRR324

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Emilys 27" walleye- released 1/10/10
« Reply #17 on: Dec 25, 2009, 05:42 PM »
The wife buoght me one for xmas.  Have to wait for decent ice to let you know how it works.
Sit in the house- or sit in the shanty, let's see, beer and crappies- I'm going fishing.

Offline jimbo84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I got a 7 inch last year works fine so far. still learning how to use it to full advantage. nice to see were your hook is , nice to see weeds ect. gl

Offline ianripken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:37 PM »
Someone mentioned getting one after a flasher. I would recommend if you are on a budget, this is a good alternative to a flasher at the beginning. Once you have a flasher, this will sit in the garage or make a good garage sale item, unless you like recording or just enjoy the coolness of it. It's not as good at locating fish as a flasher, but it's better than nothing.

Offline dan in pa

• IceShanty Rookie
This camera is the stuff.
« Reply #20 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:15 PM »
While watching a bass hit my GF's lure today,  she said..."what did we do before having the camera?"

I said we guessed alot.

This was my 3rd day on the ice with that camera,  and it's cheatin.  I caught perhaps 50 fish,  took 4 home over the last 2 days.  A 13" perch, 3 bass, 14, 15, 16.5 respectively.  I saw each one happen.  The biggest one, the hook broke off just after clearing the ice, as I kicked it away from the hole before it escaped.  I saw a pickerel in a lake I didn't know there were any there.  I saw a 10" shiner, again not knowing that they were there.

That camera is the coolest thing since sliced bread, and I'm anxious to take it to other bodies of water.  Last 3 times it was a small farm pond (perhaps 10 acres) that at it's deepest is 5 feet.  I was able to see how my movement on the surface scared the fish.  It's black ice, 7" thick or so with no snow till today.

Saying...."There's a big bass,  get ready!!" is so fun.  It's like hunting and fishing at the same time.  It's a new world to actually see what you're after regardless wheather it hits your lure or not.

Just tried the Lindy Darter.....man...that thing called them in like a doe bleat!  Without a waxy ....they were all over it. I think it's the rattle.   Amazing.  I am gonna get some different colors of that.  I've never done more than a pimple, etc.  It's like the ice fishing crackbait!

Offline dan in pa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 01, 2010, 08:27 PM »
I'll post pics tomorrow before filleting.  They are in the fridge.  Thank you camera friend.  After going today with my GF bit**ing about .......everything..... ................women.

I realized that that camera is better than a fishin buddy...esp if it's female.  I need more friends that don't fret at the winter weather.

Seeing a bass hitting a ice fish crank bait is the coolest thing ever.....maybe as much as fish dinner.

Offline staticgrizz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 01, 2010, 09:29 PM »
I own the 7" Sony camera. and love it. 5" doesn't have the Sony. The panning camera works when not so cold but will freeze and quit rotating plus uses bat. quicker. just my 2cents. Went fishing with buddy he was marking fish all over but we couldn't catch anything. Sent the camera down the fish would bounce our hooks like a tether ball and not bite. We started changing baits like crazy before we found something they would bite on. Great investment, plus the wife & kids love it.

Offline pjwatson05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:56 PM »
I recently bought the 7 inch model & it is a great camera, they are on sale right now for $139.99 & I used a $20 off cupon & got it for $119.99.
It's just as good as the Marcum VS 380, actually I believe it's the same as the Marcum VS 350.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 02, 2010, 12:25 AM »
I too have the Cabelas 7" model and love it.  Great addition to my Vex.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:39 AM »
I just got my 7" Cabela camera. It was on back order. I've used a vex FL 8 for
years, so this should be an interesting addition. I got the camera compass also. Now I have to figure out where to put the camera hole, in my one man Frabil Recon. I will probably try it out Monday.

Bob

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:29 AM »
I recently bought the 7 inch model & it is a great camera, they are on sale right now for $139.99 & I used a $20 off cupon & got it for $119.99.
It's just as good as the Marcum VS 380, actually I believe it's the same as the Marcum VS 350.

Thats a smart shopper right there!  Although for you I'm sure it wasn't too big of a purchase but for me (a 23 year old who graduated college last year and is still heavily under-employed)... you put that bad boy on a no-interest card and pay it off over 3 months and you've got yourself a great deal.

Although I haven't found a career oriented job, my bachelors in finance is paying off. ;)

Back to the topic... I'd love to have a underwater camera for checking out this shiner pond I trap at. You just sprinkle bread and you can see dozens gobbling it up - I imagine it would be fun as heck to watch on the cam. Since I can't afford a camera I was thinking of going old school and trying to find a periscope! HAHA

Offline Papinner

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 02, 2010, 07:50 AM »
I just got my 7" Cabela camera. It was on back order. I've used a vex FL 8 for
years, so this should be an interesting addition. I got the camera compass also. Now I have to figure out where to put the camera hole, in my one man Frabil Recon. I will probably try it out Monday.

Bob

My camera hole is outside of my scout that way it doesnt take up any room inside. Its very easy to do because you can set your hut in the windbreak mode and turn the compass till you see the jig then put your hut down and forget about the camera.

Offline dan in pa

• IceShanty Rookie
Fish pics!
« Reply #28 on: Jan 02, 2010, 08:26 PM »

Fish caught yesterday and the day before with the aid of the cabelas camera.  Saw each one happen.  It's very very cool.  We were out today on a different little farm pond, but we didn't last an hour.  15 degrees with 15 to 25MPH winds froze us right out.  No shelter.  Next time we'll be ready.  I know that pond has a couple arm length sized bass in it.  We did manage to catch 2 bass about 12",  turned em loose.

Anyone suggest a good marinade for fish?  I'm good with red meat, but I'm kinda new with fish marinade.  I usually cooked salmon.  Dill, butter, and salt/pepper. 

Offline oldfisher68

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 03, 2010, 06:02 AM »
My camera hole is outside of my scout that way it doesnt take up any room inside. Its very easy to do because you can set your hut in the windbreak mode and turn the compass till you see the jig then put your hut down and forget about the camera.

Thanks for the info. I'll try that. How far apart, do you put the holes. I messed with the camera
in the house. The jig is easier to see, the closer the camera was to it, in the house. I suppose
it maybe different in water. I just worry about fish tangling around the cord.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.