Author Topic: Tube Jig Color For Lakers  (Read 4594 times)

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Tube Jig Color For Lakers
« on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:49 PM »
What colors of tube jigs do you like for lakers? I really like white and chartreuse the best. Haven't seemed to do as well on the other colors. White resembles a baitfish closely, and it is both natural and easy to see, so it is my number one. But chartreuse seems to work very well or better than white sometimes.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: Tube Jig Color For Lakers
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:59 AM »
purple can work also.
So can silver or pepper color
depends on the forage in your lake
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2004, 02:01 PM »
White, white, white, white, white, white, and sometimes glow in the dark works awesome! If you can't find glow in the dark tube jigs, look for the b-2 line of double glow immitation squid used by trollers in open water... ;D ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2004, 04:38 PM »
So this technique just for Hardwater or DO you cast with these as well for lakers? When the spring thaw is on? Or when its summer and just jig with em on the bottom?  :P
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

trapperdirk

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2004, 08:40 PM »
White, white, white, white, white, white, and sometimes glow in the dark works awesome! If you can't find glow in the dark tube jigs, look for the b-2 line of double glow immitation squid used by trollers in open water... ;D ;D

agreed ,agreed agreed . ;D

Offline chriswy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Gonna need a bigger hole!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2004, 08:37 AM »
I agree white,white,white that is what seems to do the best where i fish and once in a while glow in the dark.

STILL LOOKING FOR THE 40 POUNDER!

Offline Mikderf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Death from above
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2004, 12:44 PM »
Any color is fine as long as its white, Fred.
I fish because the voices in my head tell me to.

bigbrown46

« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2005, 06:50 PM »
i agree on white but some of my larger granby lakers are caught on dark greens and dark browns

Offline Mikderf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Death from above
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2005, 08:12 PM »
What do you mean by larger laker's and have you ever caught a laker between 24 and 30 inches on granby. The reason I ask is I have caught hundreds of laker's 23 and smaller and 7 30 or better but I have never caught one 24to30 inches, just wondering why. Fred.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2005, 09:23 PM »
What do you mean by larger laker's and have you ever caught a laker between 24 and 30 inches on granby. The reason I ask is I have caught hundreds of laker's 23 and smaller and 7 30 or better but I have never caught one 24to30 inches, just wondering why. Fred.
well, there used to be a bunch of huge lakers at granby. Besides blue mesa, it was the best big laker fishery in the state- bar none. But CDOW started mismanaging it and they cut the limit to 2 lakers. They have done some other things to mismanage it as well, but I won't go into that now. i'm sure us coloradans now about their ridiculous antics....but that is for our forum to discuss.

For certain waters, such as taylor reservoir, white doesn't work for jack squat. I notice chartreuse seems to be the best at taylor. Ruedi lakers like white tubes. For some reason though, the ones at taylor just hate white tubes compared to chartreuse. My newest suggestion is to try a few different colors to see which work at your lakes, instead of just white. JMO
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Iron Chef

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2005, 11:00 AM »
BB- I have 3 on Granby that were 24-30, one open water trolling in fall and two thru the ice, one at the tourney, all were released, and all were tagged in the back, and all were caught before the drought, and on different shades of green.
Thanks for the Rapalas

Offline Mikderf

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Death from above
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2005, 12:55 PM »
Thanks for the reply, it is just kind of strange to me that they seem scarcer than hens teeth. I talked to a guy up there at the boatramp one a couple years ago that lives and guides on granby and he was saying something to effect that the small laker's are eating mostly the mysis shrimp and it was having a negative effect on their internal organs from the high fat content. I might be a little incorrect on exactly what the issue is but he said allot of them are not maturing. Anyone know anything about this. Fred.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2005, 12:33 AM »
Chartreuse with silver sparkle flakes was the best color in my first mackinaw trip this year. I was fishing under bright bluebird skies, which are very tough conditions for Colorado macks. I only landed 9 small macks in the 2 - 5 pound range in two hard days of fishing, but my tubes outproduced the white tubes one of my partners was using 2 - 1. This lake is always an enigma though, the fishing can be and often is downright tough.
At my other mack lake, white seems to work best and the lakers are a little more active and can run a bit bigger.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.