The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: jiffy, some adjustments, starting issues and a throttle issue  (Read 2571 times)

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok....I've had this auger for a few years.  I'm running at 24-1 Jiffy smokeless 2cycle oil.  New plug, an autolite gapped correctly (just double checked it lol).   

ok first, it's kind of become a pain to start.  Almost as if I am not sure my choke itself is working.  I usually prime about 5 times, then start pulling on full choke.  She'll starte eventually, ugg!  not fun at 40 below.  I tried priming it more then I should have oops (read an old thread where they said a couple drips will come out of the exhaust...mine filled up on the carb end, not the exhuast on the plug end..either way it didnt start, read flooded! LOL)...  Either way it doesnt like starting cold  I did adjust the low end jet to help with the idle once it started running.  Still after cooling off over nite she's a pain to start.

Ok now running full throttle...on the top of the carb...the throttle linkage...there is a small spring that opens and closes what I would call the throttle body.  This for some reason is well not quite cavitating but fluxuating at wot.  If you push or pull on this you can increase or decrease the rpms without moving the throttle linkage itself.....so I'm thinking my high carb adj needs to be adjusted?

With the idle and low end adjusted..she'll idle just fine....so the two problems are starting, and wot (which I havent adjusted yet).   

Idears?  Finding special oils locally is out for now....everything in Alaska takes time, lots of it.  The fuel is fresh, the oil is new, the plug is new.  The low end carb setting is right at 1 1/8 turn maybe a hair less.   I havent touched the high end yet.   Wanted to ask about the fluxuation happening.  Thought about a carb kit (so far it hasnt needed one).

Also had read some old posts about some of the jiffy legends on a recall regarding the carbs?   is this true?   If so how do I tell if mine is good/bad?

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: jiffy, some adjustments, starting issues and a throttle issue
« Reply #1 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:09 PM »
ok, I reset the low carb adjustment to 1 1/8th and increased the idle screw and wamo, she likes starting now..though she's warm.  Got it outside to let things cool off for awhile and see how it starts.

The fluxuating was without a load on high..so I'm assuming thats a governer instead of a carb?

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2009, 10:51 PM »
idears thoughts on the rough starting?   

or the fluxuation on the high end without the drill attached?   I plan on drilling some holes when I get time, was hoping to this weekend..back to work for the next 3 days (longshifts)..... 

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2009, 02:24 AM »
does anyone read this board LOL

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I don't have a Jiffy 3 hp anymore as I switched to the 2 hp Jiffy. As I remember, I would prime it three times,put the choke on full, pull it over slow one time with the switch off, turn the switch on and pull it until it started which was usually once. When I did prime it more, the gas would drip out of the carburetor not the exhaust. Here are some adjustments that might help ya.

ADJUSTING TECUMSEH 3 HP CARBURETOR
pop the red caps off.

Close both jets GENTLY

Open the Low speed 1/4 turn

Open High speed jet 1 1/4 turn

Start engine.

Adjust low speed until idling smoothly.

Open her up wide open.

Adjust High speed until engine transitions smoothly from idle to high speed without bogging.

Shut engine off. Let it cool.

Once engine is cold. Fire it up and let it idle for 30 secs. Open it up wide open again. Adjust if necassary.

The trick with the Jiffy's is to tune them during cold (ice fishing) weather.

Low speed screw,the one on the left.

High speed on the right.
______________________ ___
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:45 AM »
That springy thingy, ya that's hooked up to the governor, don't mess with it.

Offline AkDan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:32 AM »
well I primed her 3 times on the ball....had it on full choke...pulled once she wants to go..pulled 2 more times she fires right off.   My garage is unheated though it's not -15 like it is outside right now.  Put her on half throttle she runs fine.  So I think the start up is good.

What about the fluxuation on the high throttle?  Is this a needed adjustment or is this common without a load?  I dont have the auger on it (the head is sitting inside the top of a 5 gallon pail for ease of working).  I really need to poke a hole and see how it runs......got a ton of things going on, no excuse I got lakers that are calling my name..and maybe some burbot if I can convience a guy to take me out to atleast learn the basics for a couple hours.  Or is the fluxation at high rpm indicative of the diaphram going bad?   

I havent messed with the spring..but I did push on that body the spring moves to see if I could even out the rpms. which it does nicely if the dang thing wouldnt bounce around so much lol.

I can definatly tune her up in the cold, something we have plenty of....;).   The fluxuation is really the only concern I have left...if it's a mixture issue or a diaphram/carb issue?

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2009, 04:58 AM »
Just the governor reacting.  Bet if you run it thru the ice it will purr like a kitten.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #8 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:24 AM »
I will bet that when you drill a hole, it will smooth out when you get part way through the ice. They should sound kind of like they are flooding out until the governor kicks in under load and then it should lean out a bit and run smoother.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.