Author Topic: waterproofing a bib.  (Read 1255 times)

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
waterproofing a bib.
« on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:06 PM »
My bibs keep absorbing water while I am out icfishing. Is there and type of spray or patch that I can use to stop the water from penetrating my bib.

Offline Kuyahoorakid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Have Ice? Will Travel...
Re: waterproofing a bib.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:09 PM »
If they are Carhart style bibs, you might want to try a canvas tent sealer. They sell it in a spray can at most sporting goods stores, and it is non toxic once it dries. ;)

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Yeh like kid say's, but it depends on the material.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline ErikR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:19 PM »
I use water repelling spray on my Carharts it helps some,
The last few years I have started wearing strap on Knee pads they have gone along way in keeping my knees and shins dry 

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:23 PM »
Camp Dry.. Use the whole can on them...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2009, 01:27 PM »
Scotchguard

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2009, 09:04 PM »
You could mix 100% silicone caulk with mineral spirits until it's thin enough to soak into the fabric. Paint it on with a foam brush. I would try this on a couple of scrap pieces first or a small test patch. should make it 100% waterproof. But make sure it can handle the cold temps first as I've never tried it for this. Just an idea.

Offline ColdFrontFisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Ive seen a silicone based waterproofing spray out this year. They had some @ the walmart by my house in the camping section. I don't know how good it works but the product claimed that it would not affect the ability of the garment to breath. That can be a big plus in the winter.
Post frontal conditions follow me like a lonely puppy

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:50 AM »
 If yer talking ski-bibs, the best thing ya can do with a pair of $40 bib pants is to hit the ski/board shop and buy NikTex or something like it . You wash your pants in  the washing machine with the product added into wash cycle. I usually do my hats, gloves , ski pants and jackets with it every 2 years . Good stuff, and ya won`t be a fireball ifya wander too close to the heater  or cookstove!
You could mix 100% silicone caulk with mineral spirits until it's thin enough to soak into the fabric. Paint it on with a foam brush. I would try this on a couple of scrap pieces first or a small test patch. should make it 100% waterproof. But make sure it can handle the cold temps first as I've never tried it for this. Just an idea.

Offline Russ-T

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2009, 12:26 PM »
Das
      Silicone will not burst into flames if it comes into contact with the heater and the mineral spirits evaporate within a day or two. If you wear it right after you applied the silicone/mineral spirits then yes you would become a wick. Let it dry and i would rather be wearing it than any nylon.

Offline grumpyoldude

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 20, 2009, 01:46 PM »
I got tired of wet cuffs and wet butte years ago. Cabala's insulated guide gear bibs [$120 to $130] are the best. Thinsulite and gore-tex and wear like iron.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:06 PM »
you can also buy rain gear to fit over your carharts

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:21 PM »
you can also buy rain gear to fit over your carharts
everyone always says that but i think that if your walking in slush your carharts are still going to wick water and get heavy, i guess it would be fine as long as your not in slush and keep you dry while kneeling on the ice,just my 2cents worth

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:36 PM »
you can dip your stuff in anything you want but only water proof things are just that-water proof , or they are just water repellent , when I was younger I put my carharts inside my insulated packs with my rain wear on the out side. seemed to work 35 years ago

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.