The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Clark Canyon Ice  (Read 1584 times)

waterloo

Clark Canyon Ice
« on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Havn't seen any reports on Clark Canyon, so here is the first one.

Ice was clear and 14 inches thick in all areas that I tried excepting along the cliffs between Horse Prairie and Camewhait (forgive the spelling), where the ice was softer and about 11 inches thick.  Surface was mixed clear and packed snow.  A good 4 dozen shelters scattered between the dam and the west end.  Most of them are from the weekend crowd.  Weather was great, winds calm, temps just below freezing, and plenty of sunshine.

Fishing for me was a bust.  I was alone in my area, so I don't know how others fared.  I left my rods for about 5 minutes to check out a pressure ridge only to find that one of my rods had been yanked out of its holder.  That unfortunatly was the only bite I had.  Fished for three hours.

Great day considering the conditions.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Clark Canyon Ice
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2009, 04:48 PM »
Went to CC today. Wind was somewhat of a problem to say the least. Blowing to hard for  me. Fished 3 1/2 hours and did not have a bite. Lots of SLICK ice. Take your cleats!

Offline snakeriver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2009, 01:40 AM »
Hows things at Clark?? anyone catching any ling. I wanna come up there and catch one of those snakes and eat it. Those rainbows are great fun too. whats the word???? worth a trip yet this year or are things still slow.

Offline zimmer2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2009, 08:33 PM »
Was there on 12/29 and fished 6 hours.....never had a bite :(. Gonna try again tomorrow and see what happens.

Offline .45-75WCF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2010, 11:02 AM »
Hope you guys keep us posted on Clark Canyon.  Thinking of doing a week-end trip, so I will take all the info I can get.  It's a long drive from here.

Offline IllynPayne

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 05:31 PM »
Fished Lone Tree on the 2nd, 0800-1500.  Between the two of of, we had 2 hits, with one making it to the bottom of the ice and throwing the hook.  Nice day but couldn't get anything going.  We moved 4 times and covered a pretty large area.  In speaking with the other parties on the ice, most were having the same luck.  Only one group I saw actually had fish on the ice, but they wouldn't talk much.  Both of our hits for the day happened while jigging.  We tried all varieties of our leadheads and other hardware.  It seems like the fish aren't at all interested in eating.  I spent a good bit of time looking down the holes, and regularly saw decent sized trout cruising by, they wouldn't take a second look at our gear though.

Offline MontanaIce_50

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:20 PM »
Fished off the rocks near West Camewhait about a week ago. Only had 2 holes goin, but things were pretty slow. No one around us was catching anything either. About a week earlier, guys were catchin the trout pretty good and a few ling. Not sure how things are up there right now.

waterloo

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Had to give it a try today.  Found 22 inches of clear ice with patchy snow drifts on top.  Nice day with winds anywhere between 5 and 15 mph.  Fishing was a bust again.  I lost one fish while trying to remove my gloves, and that was the only fish I had in the three hours that I fished.  I left early as my dogs were getting tired of watching me sit watching my rods to no avail.  Fished off of Camewhaite campground.  First tried a couple hundred yards off shore in about 15 foot of water.  Moved to 40 yards off shore in 10 foot of water when I had the one hit.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.