The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: The reality of properly managed pike, the effect of improper managment  (Read 3371 times)

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
Now if only the darn bucket biologists would stop putting species where they don't belong, the State would have an easier job!

Amen to that!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
Amen to that!
Aint that the truth....we wouldn't be having these stupid arguments every year if people would leave stocking up to the state!!!!

Offline buddah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Funny Adam but the pike are better eating... Good post at the start of the thread... The funny thing about it all is that proper pike management is what is the best way for the trout and salmon as well. Trying to spread the truth is a bit like hitting your head against the wall repeatedly. All this information and more has been posted many times, no one seems to read it.

Jim,doesn't the last sentence of the article kinda blow some holes in your 1 study theory?

"One of the more interesting results is that we didn’t detect any consistent reductions in pike numbers with the length limits. We had fully expected that improving size structure would result in lower density, and that hasn’t happened yet."

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
If you fish in lakes that have been managed this way for a long enough time period or in lakes with a healthy population of big pike (lots of water in Quebec is this way) then you will catch big fish and not many small ones.  Go to Quebec and try it.  Catching 20-30 pound pike is fun.  I cant remember ever catching small pike when we used to fish in Quebec.  Only big ones in between the 3-5 lb brookies.

Offline JimP

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Moosehead Lake 2008
buddah you can't cherry pick one sentence of a study or an article and draw a conclusion from that one sentence just because you want to be right and win an argument. You have to take a look at the whole body of work in context. Pretty much to a study they all conclude one thing. Pike need to be managed in each watershed based on the factors present in each watershed. It is also worth noting that these are not my studies or opinions, it is just stuff I have read over the years out of concern that we are heading off a cliff with respect to invasive species. I post links to them, you can read them or not.

Lou nailed it. Maine is too stubborn to learn from others that have been dealing with this problem. We are determined to reinvent the wheel. It has and will continue to cost us dearly as our fisheries suffer from the damage from illegal introductions.

Offline keepah seekah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
well said jim
i am a big supporter of PETA...."People Eating Tasty Animals"

"the green hornet strikes again gustafson!!!!"

Offline ***WaterWolf***

• Team IceShanty Regular
 Small pike, thought, grew best in shallow fertile lakes with long growing seasons.

Limited production of trophies at lake Thompson points to a live fast die young lifestyle in warmer waters such as those at the southern fringe of the pikes distribution.  When I examined pike entries (15puonds or 34 in) in south Dakota anger awards program during the years around the timeframe of my research, only 6% were caught from the states natural lakes the majority taken from large deep reservoirs that thermally stratify.

Although habitat loss is a serious issue on some waters, a major limitation to managing for big pike in smaller lakes is that many of them are actually too good at producing pike – small ones.
   Recruitment is a function of reproductive success and survival to adulthood.  To successfully recruit young fish need to grow and service the gauntlet of predation exploitation and other sources of mortality.  The higher the recruitment though the more numbers and usually pounds of pike in a lake.   As pike biomass increases, competition rises, a factor that can slow growth,   What can result is a stunted pike population a large number of slow growing pike with a high natural mortality rate.  Here you might see upwards  of 100 or more adult pike per acre, as opposed to less than five or so per acre in waters with low recruitment
   Recruitment tends to be related to lake size with problems of high recruitment affecting mostly smaller water with emergent vegetation covering a large proportion of the surface area.  Larger lakes are rarely afflicted with stunted pike.  Overpopulation has also bee attributed to lake of appropriate slippery and over harvest of lager pike or a combination of these factors.  

Exactly why I don't fish Sabattus Lake, too many small pike. 

Thanks Ferrari, I'm glad there are some people on here that understand valid pike management.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
Exactly why I don't fish Sabattus Lake, too many small pike. 

Thanks Ferrari, I'm glad there are some people on here that understand valid pike management.   :clap: :clap: :clap:

:o Sabattus is such a poor example, This lake is seriously over fished and will never have big pike, all the somewhat big females are usually iced or thrown in the bush.  ::)

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
Funny Adam but the pike are better eating... Good post at the start of the thread... The funny thing about it all is that proper pike management is what is the best way for the trout and salmon as well. Trying to spread the truth is a bit like hitting your head against the wall repeatedly. All this information and more has been posted many times, no one seems to read it.

WOW Welcome to the Club for people who can see the Bigger pictuer  :clap: :thumbsup:  I was beggining to think almost everyone had their head stuck in the sand.

I think i cracked my scull on the wall.

Thank YOU for reading, 

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline landlockedsalmon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My wife said its her or the Vexilar,we'll miss her
The state should have managed Northern Pike when they started showing up.They have a perfect managing tool "ROTENONE" works like a charm.They have used it for years.Pour in a little,PIKE all gone.No more arguing about invasives.Problem solved.Just my .02.LOL. LLS
If everyone concentrated on the important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishingpoles.......... ..............Remember we all live downstream

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
The state should have managed Northern Pike when they started showing up.They have a perfect managing tool "ROTENONE" works like a charm.They have used it for years.Pour in a little,PIKE all gone.No more arguing about invasives.Problem solved.Just my .02.LOL. LLS
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline blacktrap

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Reclaiming works for small ponds, but the state would never get a permit for something like the entire belgrade system.  It would also cost many millions.  The pike ship has sailed and is not ever coming back.  What is currently being done is really working well isnt it, as more and more lakes are turning up with pike in them.  They were on the right track before it was all sent backward thanks to some well meaning misguided individuals.  It is better to regulate them and learn from what other places have concluded as the best way to manage pike.

Offline Danny Boy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pêcheur d'Esox
what has happened sucks, but we need to make the most of it
Maine - The way life should be?

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
Hey guys it's intermission time, could someone save my seat? Gonna run to the concession stand for some milk duds and jujubees or might try those fish cakes with cherries on top! ;D ;D

Offline icefisha22

• Team IceShanty Addict
honestly the best way to make a trophy pike fishery (and i hate pike) is to make a slot length limit sort of like the striper length limit
"many go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish that they are after"

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
 I see a lot of residents fishing for pike.Why not manage them?? Makes no sense!!There is a lot of cash flow from the non residents to your state because of pike.If you really wanted to thin pike numbers why not extend ice season for them??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.