New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: western NY get together  (Read 26807 times)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
western NY get together
« on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:01 PM »
every year we talk about it   this year lets get this thing going before it is too late.    I do not have the means or time to organize this alone, but I am willing to do everything I can with what I have. I would like to try for early feb.    we will have ice then for sure and it is far enough off that we can get things arranged and all set. Not only because it is close to me but because everyone will catch fish I think chatauqua is a good spot...also large enough to accomodate a good number of people.    I am opening this thread with the hopes that we can discuss the logistics well in advance. I would like to have a derby of sorts and I am looking into what we have to do to make it happen please feel free to float any ideas    thanks
pray for cold ;D

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
Re: western NY get together
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:20 PM »
Marcus, You know I am all in.  I think we should do this at LP due to the limited parking else where.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:24 PM »
I agree  there is room for alot of people there   and the fishing aint too bad either ;) bait and other amenities (stores and bars not too far off)

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:20 AM »
Im in ... theres a lake i have always wanted to fish ...anything i can do to help out let me know ... im from elmira ny ... sooo keep me posted.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2009, 11:23 AM »
I'm in the fishing on chautauqua should be even better than last year.  If you need any help organizing pm me.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline Mark Komo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 06, 2009, 12:44 PM »
Yep, this could be fun.  Had great time at the various events in illinois and wisconsin. 

If I can help, would love too. 
Bass are for guys that cant catch walleyes! Troll for show, jig for $$$$$

Offline JoeM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:49 PM »
I am in Tonawanda. I usually fish alone, so I would be up for a group thing any time. Chatauqua seems like it is a nice central location for the wny people.   

Offline ICEROGUE

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I have been on top of the world, and theres no ice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 06, 2009, 09:52 PM »
first thing you need to do is contact the town and make sure you can put on on big event. unless you wanted to keep it small then it would not matter. this sounds like a great idea. Pm me if theres anything I can do.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:06 PM »
I would be up for it. I planned on hitting Chatauqua a bunch this year anyways. Just say when.

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 07, 2009, 08:31 AM »
I'll make the trip from Roch to hit Chataqua. Been wanting to fish that for a while now.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2009, 05:25 PM »
it appears there is interest so lets look for a decent date I am wide open on weekends I suggest beg/mid Feb almost guarantee no issues...aside from the snow that can fall and there will be ice. I can bring 1 maybe 2 grills for cooking both smallish . A couple buddies got sleds/quads to help out people who need help. Long Point is a great access depending on ice it is easy to launch anything there. Also it is a state park I can see no problems with holding something like this there I will look into it though in case I need to talk to them about some other things anyways. Lets get some ideas together and get this thing going.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:00 PM »
I wouldn't think you need permission from the town for a bunch of guys meeting on the ice. Unless of course your'e having live music or serving beer or something of that sort. If that was the case everyone would need permission to go there. I could bring a small charcoal grill (a weber smokey joe jr.) and my heater is a cooker also big enough for a frying pan. I also have 2 huts a one man for myself and a Shappell 3000 I could bring for someone who may not have one or maybe not enough room for thier kids if they would like to bring them as well as extra equipment to outfit some kids for the day. The only rule I have is you break it you bought it which I dont think is unreasonable.

Offline jimski2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:27 AM »
Maybe the Parks could open the rest rooms and make sure the area is plowed.
You can not take too many perch, unless you can not clean them, give them to your friends and neighbors to clean and cook. The more perch you take, the faster and bigger the rest  will grow. The walleyes and bass will survive from fry to fingerlings.

Offline ghostface

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:17 AM »
There is a winter festival at chautauqua lake every year we should try to keep it at least a couple weeks away from that as not to have a parking issue or interfere with there events.
Its not the spot its the man fishing it

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:29 AM »
The winter fest is in Mayville.  The only extra vehicles I see parked at LP is the snowmobile trailers.  I will stop by the point and talk with the maintenance guy to see if there are any probs with the whole idea.  I am willing to bring any extra gear I have if someone shows up without or is just learning.  My thoughts on when it should be is any weekend other than 2/13-2/14.  I get myself in enough trouble to be on the ice that weekend. 

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:53 PM »
yeah I guess that makes sense however that is a weekend I like to "hide" anyways. Doesn't the little lady fish with you or is that just fair weather? I think the weekend just before that 2/6 - 2/7 would work out . I believe the ice fest in mayville is mid january   it wouldn't really affect us in the long point area. I also have a few extra portables and other extra stuff for people who may need it. I/we can also arrange on site bait I bet. Bait shop down that way is run by some cool people. Assuming we have good weather this would be a good day and place to bring a newbie along we will catch fish. Before we set a solid date I want to have a look and make sure our gathering will not interfere with any others (as I want to hit a couple other ones...conesus...cuba and I am sure I am not the only one. Now we just need some ice. I think we should have some sort of derby going on but we can bang out those details later. I just know we always talk about this kind of thing mid january when people have plans and cannot make it on such short notice. This should be plenty of notice.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:26 AM »
LOL, the little lady gets out on the ice, just not her idea of a great V-day.  I haven't herd of any other tourneys that weekend.  Talked with Brian (Happy Hooker) last night he says he is in on anything he could do.  Really would like to see 25+ guys from here out there.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I'm in!!!!  I fish alone since Retski moved to MN last summer.  I have room for car pooling (8 Passenger Suburban and large trailer for gear)  Just as long as your not an ax murderer or something :o
Long Point would be the place to go. Satuday or Sunday or maybe both.  Lake Cha Cha is worth spending the night.

Stay cool!
Ice

Offline NiagaraJiggin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep Your Rods Bent !!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I can help as well. I have a single clam I can use and I also have a Shappell 3000 for others to use.....hopefully for someone's kids to be comfortable in so they gain a better appreciation for ice fishing and our ranks grow.

My wife is a marketing / graphic artist / promotional guru that could help with trying to get sponsor prizes and maybe even local supermarket food and drink donations...and such.....

send me a PM if necessary.....or send a message to her   -  BlueGill Babe
Keep Your Rods Bent !!
~NiagaraJiggin~
Master Forest Owner Volunteer
NYFOA Member
Creator of the Swoongie Fishing System

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:26 AM »
Feb will be awesome. My wife and daughter are going to be in D.C. with her brother for a week, 2 weekends.
Are there cabins to rent at the state park? It's like a 3 hour drive for me from Rochester area, I'll probably be looking to stay over night. Might as well stay and fish 2 days.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:36 PM »
Unfortunately there are no cabins at the park, but there are plenty of places within minutes to stay at.  I will check on prices and availability for everyone in need.

Offline Irrgang131

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Dec 10, 2009, 02:43 PM »
Im in for chautauqua thats a great place for a get together

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Id be in. If you guys need any help with anything shoot me a pm and ill do my best.
sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline BIGFISH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:31 PM »
put me  in with couple guys  have two shantys power auger wheeler ect   any weekend is good for me  :icefish: :icefish: :clap:        bigfish

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 10, 2009, 07:54 PM »
I am thinking the 6th-7th of february would be the best weekend so plan on it . I will start putting a list together (what we will need, who will be there, and what we need/or can help out with (equipment, food, grills, transportation, etc.)   I will be bringing my 8 yr old and am hoping he will not be the only kid out there this is a great opportunity for kids with a good number of guys who know what they are doing on a productive body of water could have a fishing buddy for life. My comp is all screwy right now so I cannot receive or send PM's right now.    I will be there both days of the weekend, but I think we will set-up the true "get-together" for whatever day is better for everyone. winter is here fellas... 

Offline JoeM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:43 PM »
So far I have 4 other guys that are in for any weekend. I have an extra hut someone could use if needed. If the ice is good I'll bring the atv, and I don't mind pulling gear out if someone needs a hand.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:49 PM »
I wish we could go now :'(

Offline synergyboy10

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:59 PM »
I wish we could go now :'(

same here. I pulled out some tackle today. cant wait to get the first one of these:

sometime you just have to think like a fish.

Offline ICEMAN73

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:03 PM »
same here. I pulled out some tackle today. cant wait to get the first one of these:
(Image removed from quote.)

Do you work for Synergy?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.