The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Hardside!  (Read 6125 times)

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hardside!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 06, 2009, 10:54 PM »
Looks awesome, just make sure you don't rush as you get closer to finishing it. That's where you cut corners!! I like the 2x4 studs but I think I would have gone for 24 inch spacing. Whatever the case, kraft faced fiber glass ROCKS as an insulator. None of the expensive foam board crap (actually it's not crap, it's a great insulator).. You will spend literally 4 times as much money using foam board than fiberglass. I got 130 square feet of R11 (3.5") for $30. A 32 sq ft sheet of 2 inch foam is $23 or so. And fiberglass is a helluva lot easier to work with.

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
« Reply #31 on: Dec 07, 2009, 11:43 AM »
Brooks we are going to use luan for the siding settled on it this afternoon before I even saw this. Should cut down on a lot of the weight but its still going to heavier then $%^%.
Mine is too. I reinforced the floor and it added a lot of weight but the roof panels weigh almost nothing. I think with bare ice under it, she'll move with little effort. Add snow to the mix and it may be different story.
[IMG]

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #32 on: Dec 07, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Ditto I don't think I would go much farther till it's outside. Looks close to being a closet for your garage. ;D

Do you guys honetly think we would build it in the garage if we couldnt get it out? Come on seriously!?!?! Ever heard of a measuring tape.........
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:25 PM »
Do you guys honetly think we would build it in the garage if we couldnt get it out? Come on seriously!?!?! Ever heard of a measuring tape.........
CP but the figuring factor to that is the BEER!! ;D 

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
« Reply #34 on: Dec 07, 2009, 06:54 PM »
I'm sure at some point, somebody made the mistake of fully assembling something that wouldn't fit out the door....... if they weren't idiots then alcohol was surely involved... ;)
[IMG]

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:01 AM »
Hey CP not trying to jack yer thread but that rockie is a beast what was the length on that bad boy?  :o

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:15 AM »
Hey CP not trying to jack yer thread but that rockie is a beast what was the length on that bad boy?  :o

Honestly I didnt get a tape on him but if I had to take a good guess I would say 10-11 inches. Thats 3/4oz spinner bait it hit. I thought it was a largemouth.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:56 AM »
My buddy and I were fishing in Northern Wisconsin this past summer and we were fishing for smallies with a wacky rigged 5'' senko and we caught about 50 rockies! that was an experience, those things inhaled them.  sorry back to your shack  :)
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:56 PM »
Hey C P, I am wondering what Luan is.  I am building a hard side shack and still trying to figure out what to use on the outside.  Thanks

Its like plywood but a lot thinner 1/4 inch I think. Its also sanded so its more weather resistant than osb board. Any hardware store should have it. We've been going to Menards just because its close to us. Its $9.99 for a 4x8 sheet so its not eactly cheap but I think it will be worth it.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Luan is great! Prime it and paint it with rustolium and it will last forever!

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:29 PM »
CP, are you goin to put skis on this thing to help move it a little better?? That is my biggest worry.   ;D ;D ;D

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:36 PM »
CP, are you goin to put skis on this thing to help move it a little better?? That is my biggest worry.   ;D ;D ;D

Nope Im gonna strap a rope to it and drag it there and back every time I use it!  :o

I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:38 PM »
Good way to contion before joining the service i guess.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Dec 08, 2009, 11:47 PM »
Good way to contion before joining the service i guess.

Yep hopefully there will be about 3 foot of snow to drag it through when I go to put it out the first time.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:51 AM »
 :o

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:45 PM »
put some padding on one side.  Stay low, drive with your legs.   ;D

Ok coach Gough!  :o  ;D ;D

Snowmonile............ ...................... .......
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline dalwhe1970

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 09, 2009, 07:52 PM »
CP, If you are planning for this thing to stay together; May I suggest some screws when putting it together.
Screws will hold everything together nice and tight and especially moving it around; Where as nails have a tendency to work thier way out unless the structure is positioned and not being moved around; Thought you might like a hint like this since I had to learn this the hard way and add screws later.

The build is looking good and you should be happy with your finish project and hopefully you have many days of enjoyment with it.......Good Luck ....... ;D

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Snowmonile????  drop and give me 20.

Oh man! You caught me........I cant spell... :o Actually its more that I cant type!!!

I'll get right on that 20... ;D ::) ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 09, 2009, 08:26 PM »
CP, If you are planning for this thing to stay together; May I suggest some screws when putting it together.
Screws will hold everything together nice and tight and especially moving it around; Where as nails have a tendency to work thier way out unless the structure is positioned and not being moved around; Thought you might like a hint like this since I had to learn this the hard way and add screws later.

The build is looking good and you should be happy with your finish project and hopefully you have many days of enjoyment with it.......Good Luck ....... ;D

Thanks for the advice. We have 3 inch screws where all the corners come together and that helped quite a bit.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What Lake, How Deep, and What Color?
« Reply #49 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Hey CP, you gonna have a secret hidden key for IceShanty memebers so we can use this thing?   ;)  Dont worry we will leave all our emptys for usage fees.   :thumbsup:
Posted via my rotary dial telephone.

Bikini Ice Fishing Team Fluffer/ProStaff

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:30 PM »
Hey CP, you gonna have a secret hidden key for IceShanty memebers so we can use this thing?   ;)  Dont worry we will leave all our emptys for usage fees.   :thumbsup:

Its going to be on a small private lake in CP near a golf coarse if that gives you any clues.  ???

Who said it was going to have a lock?  ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 09, 2009, 09:37 PM »
Its going to be on a small private lake in CP near a golf coarse if that gives you any clues.  ???

Who said it was going to have a lock?  ;D

Hmmmmm.  Lets see.  Does it start with an S and end with a T?

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:27 PM »
Hmmmmm.  Lets see.  Does it start with an S and end with a T?

Man your to good!

It really is a good lake. Very underestimated! I caught some nice crappies and gils out of there last winter. Multiple limits as a matter of fact.  8)
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 09, 2009, 10:56 PM »
Man your to good!

It really is a good lake. Very underestimated! I caught some nice crappies and gils out of there last winter. Multiple limits as a matter of fact.  8)

Never really thought about that lake back there, now the one across the street Ive wanted to sneak on, heard that was a pretty good lake.  The few people I talked to about it had not fished it in years but said it was good when they did.  Thought about sneaking on the lake at that summer camp.  Ever been on there?

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #54 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:18 AM »

Never really thought about that lake back there, now the one across the street Ive wanted to sneak on, heard that was a pretty good lake.  The few people I talked to about it had not fished it in years but said it was good when they did.  Thought about sneaking on the lake at that summer camp.  Ever been on there?

I know the little lake across the street your referring to, I have been trying to access as well.  When I was a kid we went there alot in the winter as my dad and uncle new someone. 
[IMG]]

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I know the little lake across the street your referring to, I have been trying to access as well.  When I was a kid we went there alot in the winter as my dad and uncle new someone. 

Maybe we need to mount a covert operation this season.  Thing is that the west side of that lake is public access due to it being part of the Comercial Forest land program (Tax break for public hunting and fishing).  Problem is I dont know if you can get on the lake from that property, might be a trek through the woods with a clif down to the ice?  :o  On the other hand the Salvation Army summer camp that is on the south side has a beach area that Im sure walks right out.  And I always drop money in those bell ringers pots this time of year so I think it would be ok to sneak on.  ;)2

Offline 187fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Dec 10, 2009, 01:36 PM »
both those lakes are good, easily acessable, nice pike and specs in lpi...i fish them freuquently..

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Dec 11, 2009, 12:46 PM »
Well I think were going to commence work again tonight...Looks like its done blizzarding for the most part so it wont be near as cold. The next step is to get the wall paneling up. Well if do end up working on it ill post some pictures when I get time.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:36 PM »
Ya going to put ski's on the thing or what CP.....LOL

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 11, 2009, 03:41 PM »
Ya going to put ski's on the thing or what CP.....LOL

Nope Im gonna buy a couple ox's to pull it. Its gonna be old school like back in your day Skul LOL!!!  :o ;D ;D ;D

Went to Menards this afternoon and bought all the side panels now we'll see if anything gets done tonight!  ???
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.