Author Topic: Underwater Camera at Menards  (Read 7984 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Underwater Camera at Menards
« on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Anyone see the underwater camera package at Menards this past weekend? It looked nike a nice compact system. What I liked about it was the cable was on a seperate cord reel the you placed in a mesh puch on the back side of the camera case instead of on the bottom of the camera like my Atlantis system. My biggest complaint about mine is that you have to lift up the whole unit to pull more cable off of it.

The camera at Menards was only $75. If I didn't already have a camera, I would have bought it. I bought my Atlantis at Menards about 3 years ago for $100 on sale.
jbird68

Offline perchpunk22

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Underwater Camera at Menards
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2009, 12:11 AM »
I actually work in the building materials department and that is one of my items that i sell.  I got to play with it for a while doing some "product research" and it is actually a nice little unit.  For the money usually people would say you get what you pay for but in the case of this thing i think the opposite.  it is really a good deal.  I might have to get one myself.
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land.  It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn.  ~Chuck Clark

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2009, 08:46 PM »
I saw it advertised in their sale brochure, but didn't make a point of getting out in time to buy it at their sale price.  I figured it was a cheap piece of junk and probably not work it.  Now I regret not getting over there.  I think a camera would make a really nice addition to my gear.
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline walkerd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:37 AM »
I bought one at 64.oo bucks. havent used it on the water yet but i can tell you it works great in my daughters aquarium with the  lights out. My fishing buddy who bought an auqaview last year is not happy at all, it looks just like the aquaview, just not built as good as the view a little lighter in the housing, but hey be careful with it and it will last, ill post how it works thru the ice soon I hope. I was actually impressed with it so far but only time will tell.

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:14 PM »
I got the aqua cam from menards a couple of years ago and it works pretty good though I wish it had the bigger battery.  This one, this years, reminds me of the cabelas brand cam. looks like it should work ok.
<br />

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2009, 09:59 PM »
I was at Menard's today and they had dozens in stock.  With a $25 rebate the end cost was only $50.  For that price you really can't go wrong.  I told my Wife I wanted one for Xmas, so I'll see if she listens!
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline Smoothtpd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:02 PM »
I called them to find out if I could purchase one over the phone but they said no phone or internet orders.  I would have jumped on one for that price. 
If it doesnt have wheels, swim, or run naked in the woods, I dont know anything about it.

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 27, 2009, 11:34 PM »
I called them to find out if I could purchase one over the phone but they said no phone or internet orders.  I would have jumped on one for that price. 

You got in touch with an unmotivated employee, and I wouldnt be afraid to let the manager know.

After touching bases with 2 Menards without any in stock, I asked if they could check their national inventory on the computer and let me know who might have some. 

No problem, and they got me in touch with the Columbus, Nebraska store who had 13 on the shelf.  They were also more than willing to weigh a unit to give me shipping costs, and send it out.  Easy peasy london squeezy!!

Ankeny, IA also had more than 12 as of the middle of last week.

Sorry you got a hold of Dobie Gilles.  Hope this helps,
Uplandhuntr

Offline Smoothtpd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2009, 07:30 AM »
Good info and thanks Uplandhuntr.  I'll keep that in mind.  I just went to their site and a new sales flyer is up.  So the sales over. 
If it doesnt have wheels, swim, or run naked in the woods, I dont know anything about it.

Offline Smoothtpd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2009, 09:46 AM »
Ok, I figured what the heck.  I called the Defiance, Oh store.  Got a nice lady on the phone who went and checked and they had a couple left.  She called me back a short while later with the shipping amount.  The rebate is over so it was $75, plus the shipping $6 and tax, for a total of $86.  I tried to get out of the tax for out of state but no good.  Anyway I think its still a good deal compared to what a refurbed one is going for on the net and ebay.  Cant wait to get it. 

Hey Eric, you know what this means?  More holes to drill.  LOL..   :roflmao:

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2009, 12:54 PM »
I was at the Menard's in Antioch, IL a couple days before Xmas they still had something like 20 units on the shelf.  My Wife bought me one for Xmas but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. 
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 28, 2009, 10:50 PM »
when i went sun to menards there was still some left at the Kewanee store.  I ended up buying one for my self cause one of my cameras is acting up and dont want to be shorted.  I got mine before the rebate ran out so when i get that back i have an extra $25 to take to menards and spend on something else.
<br />

Offline Smoothtpd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:05 AM »
Was the rebate from Menards or the manufacturer?  Can you email me a copy of the form?  I'd send it in anyway.  Worth a shot.  thanks

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:13 AM »
I have used the menards camera right beside the scout, sometimes I think the menards is better in the low light. I can live without the fish cam. Menards is a great deal, and you can't buy that much fun any cheaper. ;D
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline moosehead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:12 PM »
In the instructions it is referred to as am Aqua-Vu.
"I used to lose my temper in arguments, until someone told me, 'Cooler heads prevail.'
Thus began my collection in the basement freezer."

[IMG]http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/MattGski/teammittencopy-2.gif[/img ]

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 29, 2009, 03:55 PM »
The extra $25 rebate is over and now they are sale priced at $69. Still a good price for a camera.
jbird68

Offline Smoothtpd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:30 PM »
WOW, cant believe the price changed again.  I called the Defiance store and spoke to a nice guy who verified the $69 and credited my card for the $5.  So $81 with shipping and tax.  Still a pretty good deal.  Hit Cabelas in Ct. today and picked up the dish thing to aim the camera.  They had some RSC brand and one Marcum brand there.  The RSC was $15 (what a rip for a piece of plastic) but the Marcum rang up as $10.  Still alot for a piece of plastic but I said what the heck. 

Thanks for all the posts guys.  Saved a good amount of cash on getting a camera.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 01, 2010, 10:19 AM »
There are 8 left at the Sterling, IL store. The price is $69.00 there.
jbird68

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #18 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Thanks for the tip! I'm in the market for a tv unit, I bought the Cabela's Fish Cam ($200 unit) for my son for X-mas and it is a piece of ****. Taking back the Cabela's junk and going to Menard's and check this out, thanks agian guys ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 01, 2010, 05:52 PM »
Did you get an old panning camera by chance?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:57 PM »
I used the Menards camera on a trip to Wisconsin a few days ago.  Worked great.  The picture was clear and the IR camera worked perfectly.  I could see far more clearly than I expected.  I only wish I had some sort of system in place which would let me know what direction the camera was pointed.  I'll have to work on that.
Proud NRA Life Member

Offline Uplandhuntr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:21 PM »
I honestly don't have any experience with other cameras, but I have had mine in the water twice now where there was enough clarity to use it, and I like it.

I have run a Vexilar since they first came out (I have a wooden Genz box if that tells you anything), and I wouldn't trade it for a camera, but for the price and after having used this Menard's camera a couple of times, it is pretty cool.

There were several times that I saw a fish inhale the bait without moving the bobber...finally took the bobber off and watched the camera.

The Vex will show you the fish and its location in the water column, but the camera shows exactly how many and their attitude to your presentation that the Vex can't give you.  The Vex also doesn't show the fish inhaling the bait without moving the bobber.  You may know the fish is there, but seeing it take the bait is pretty advantageous.

I would definitely get a flasher first if you can afford one, but if you get an extra $50 for your recycled beer cans, grab a camera....it is pretty cool.

Uplandhuntr

Edit to add.....I read about the power switch concerns (it will turn on in the case without your knowledge, just by its design) before I bought mine, and to stay away from that I just dont connect the battery until I am ready to use it....takes 30 seconds to connect the wires to the battery....no biggie.....

As far as the moisture issues...I just pretend that I am taking my tv onto the ice.....don't splash water all over it and you'll be fine....it is not waterproof

Offline bigbucky1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2010, 10:56 PM »
I do the same as uplandhunter as far as the battery hookup.  Used my new menards camera today and could see about 7-10 ft.  It was nice putting the camera in one hole at one end of the shack and still being able to watch a jig in the opposite end of the shack on camera.  Had good picture quality,  and seem to hold up once I got it set in the ice pod.
<br />

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.