Author Topic: Marcum VX-1 Battery/Charging Question  (Read 7597 times)

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
Marcum VX-1 Battery/Charging Question
« on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:45 PM »
The charger for the battery looks like a phone charger with gater clips on it.  The manual says to charge it for every two hours of use. (as if I am going to keep logs). 

Would I be able to just use the battery charger I use for my boat battery?  Its a small Black and Decker that charges at 6, 4, and 2 amps and has an auto shutoff.

Thanks
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Marcum VX-1 Battery/Charging Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:50 PM »
Use the charger they gave you. the Black and Decker will overcharge the small battery. I have a Vex charger and it has a red light that comes on when it is fully charged. Just charge it up after every outing and you'll be fine.  :tipup:

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:53 PM »
There are no lights or anything so it just keeps dumpin juice into the battery until you take it off.  I just didnt want to overcharge it, which I probably will at some point.  I don't know how to tell if or when it's full.

thanks
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline bassinbrian_on_ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lakers are Fun !
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:57 PM »
When i got mine a year ago i emailed Marcum ... here was the reply ....

Brian,

Here are the charging guidelines. Batteries are shipped fully charged but they will deplete as they sit on the retail shelf. We recommend adding a charge prior to first use. Over night would be more then enough. The charger is a .5 amp and the batteries are 7 amp. This means you would need to charge the battery 2-hours per each amp or about 14-hours on a completely dead battery. Overnight usually does the trick on most occasions. You should not hurt anything by leaving the charger on a day or two but we do not recommend leaving it on more then that. As for placement, you can just hook them up right on top of the power cord.

MarCum Customer Service
763-323-0456
[email protected]
Just passing time until spring Stripers !

Offline Crawlerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:06 PM »
I don't see why not.
As far as I can see the battery is just an ordinary 12volt. The charger that comes with it is 500 milliamp which is 1/2 amp 12volts dc.

From what I see this thing goes a long time on a charge. I have used it all day and forgot to charge it and went out again and it still ran for hours. I would charge it after an all day use. I have gone out multiple short trips and not charged it. The rule of thumb I use is, charge it after an all day trip or if it is gonna sit for a while.Also  Charge it after multiple  1/2 day trips. I think it is also a good idea to remove the positive connection when not in use, so there is absolutely no drain on the battery.

Batteries seem to last longer if fully charged and will be killed if left on a low charge in freezing temperatures. I lost a couple trolling batteries that way by forgetting to charge them and letting them sit thru the winter, then they go completely dead and won't hold a charge.

If you use it for only a few hours I would, charge it for a few hours. If it was used all day an overnight charge should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Spend $30 and buy the Marcum DCS charging system.  It has a digital monitor that will tell you how much juice is left in the battery (it sticks right to the battery), and when you charge it, it will stop the charge when everything gets to 100%.  Definately a good buy.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Worst case scenario, Get a cheap meter.

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Marcum has a aftermarket peice that shows you how much battery power there is and stops charging when its full its 50 bucks i just seen it at cabelas or basspro il try to find it and post it im thinkin about getting one too

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Spend $30 and buy the Marcum DCS charging system.  It has a digital monitor that will tell you how much juice is left in the battery (it sticks right to the battery), and when you charge it, it will stop the charge when everything gets to 100%.  Definately a good buy.
30 bucks where good deal

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:16 PM »
That's what I bought mine for up here in Saskatoon last winter.  I dunno if the price has changed since then.

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:21 PM »
I bought my digital charger with the meter from Marcum. I believe it was $29.95

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:22 PM »
I use my charger from my Aqua Vu...when the light turns green, its fully charged

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 30, 2009, 08:52 PM »
http://www.reedssports.com/Product/product.taf?_function=detail&_ID=18703&pc=187

I have the V410 and an older V400.  Both work great and stop charging when the battery reaches full charge, then "floats" to maintain a full charge without damaging the battery.

-Jeff

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 01, 2009, 01:16 AM »
12 V batteries will take just about any 12 V charger.

I personally use a Cteck charger.  A tad bit expensive but it's a multistage charger.  Has a special desulphation mode and very low distortion waves.  Two models have a four step charge mode.  The top model has a 7 step charge mode.  Uniquely a battery recondition mode.  You have an opportunity save a severely depleted battery and bring it right back to pratically full charge.  Something that you wont find in most other chargers and will pay for itself over the long run if you end up going through a number of batteries.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2009, 05:41 PM »
Looks like the Marcum digital charging system had a $20.00 price bump this fall. I was going to pick one before the season started. For $30.00 I though it was a decent deal, for $50.00 I guess I will Look elsewhere. Too bad I have been happy with my Marcum products so far.

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Wow, $50 for a charger.  You can get a charger and battery on Vexilar's site for $50.

-Jeff

Offline Farley

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM DUCK TAPE
« Reply #17 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:37 PM »
I have revived neglected batteries with an automotive battery charger and a voltmeter.  Keeping the voltage @ about 18v for 15 min. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't!
If it ain't broken, you ain't try'in!

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 04, 2009, 10:15 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I'm not going to spend more money though.  I'll just give it a go with my Black and Decker.  It trickles at 2amps and has an auto shut off when the battery is full.   Should be fine.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 05, 2009, 02:29 AM »
I have revived neglected batteries with an automotive battery charger and a voltmeter.  Keeping the voltage @ about 18v for 15 min. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't!

That is how some chargers typically try to recover a severely depleted battery.  They hit it with a higher voltage usually 16v or higher but at a low ampherage always less than 1 amp.  Lower amperage is better because you don't want to boil the battery and risk explosion.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Bo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 05, 2009, 08:41 AM »
I use my charger from my Aqua Vu...when the light turns green, its fully charged

this is what i do with my VX-1 too

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.