Author Topic: Bait shops in Ct  (Read 1921 times)

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
Bait shops in Ct
« on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:06 PM »
there aren't many bait shops left i went fishing today to highland and went by trips and they are out of buisness  also nickles is closed i dont think there are any bait shops by highland lake   anybody know any places for the winter

Offline Josh B.

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Bait shops in Ct
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Connecticut Outfitters ;D  We have a high selection of ice fishing equipment, ALL WINTER, unlike Cabelas. Plenty o' shiners and grubs as well.

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2009, 03:10 PM »
yeah thanks also upcountry but they are expensive

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2009, 04:19 PM »
only one i can think of out that way is up country sport fishing.  think its in avon.  on rt 44.  don't get out there much but pretty sure they have shiners for winter.
if the trout are lost, smash the state.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2009, 04:28 PM »
What about Blaines shop? Plus he is a sponsor, always good to throw cash at those who throw it back at the site . Ct-Outfitters.com

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:29 AM »
Thanks guys... We realize we are a bit out of the way for some of you lucky enough to live in the hills. Many people that are travelling any distance to come see us will buy their bait by the pound and store it for when theyneed it. You end up saving a few bucks that way as well. We also stock all the treatment chemicals to keep them alive and happy until you use them. It's always best to call ahead a few days in advance so that we can add to our weekly order for whatever size you want.  ;)

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:46 AM »
There is also Fall Mountain Outfitters in Torrington on rt.4 I believe. Haven't been in that shop in years.

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:11 AM »
Right on route 8 going towards colebrook res. In wisted next to the package store and car wash  is fishermans cove.. Always alot of bait, nice guys and cheap.

Offline saxmatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2009, 01:43 PM »
I would do what Blaine said: stock up on bait and hold it in your own tank. Keeping your own bait is nice because you can fish whenever you want. I like being the first one on the lake in the morning and I'm usually on the ice before the shops even open. Up Country has shiners, but they run out often and don't have a great selection or ice gear. They are more of a fly shop. CT Outfitters always has bait, and they have a great selection of ice gear.

Offline WILLYTROUT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2009, 04:18 PM »
for us guys in the eastern part of the state. jt's fly shop rte 84 exit 72. will be open all winter with bait. except mon.& tues. great place. right on rte 190 1/2 mile from the highway. the onle other place i know you can count on is crystal lake bait and tackle. hey blaine i live out by uconn but i promise i'm goinna take the ride to your store this year. i've been sayin that for a couple of years but this time i mean it.

wt

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:02 PM »
willietrout i live in somers and use crystal lake bait alot. lives long good prices. you should go to the seminar at the shop on friday from what i hear they do good

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2009, 07:36 PM »
hey i live in Enfield, i used to use the Zima brother's. their bait would always survive no ,matter what i did to them. but now i don't think their even open anymore. i drive by them all the time and don't see anything in their parking lot. so now i use the guy in the middle of town now. the name of the shop is Yankee bait and tackle. i have had some problems with the bait. but after some research I've found out that it wasn't the bait. i was keeping them in to small a container and the fish were filling it up with their own pee. my bad, the next time i buy the big or pike baits i Will also have a larger container to keep them in. also the older guy who owns the place is also pretty knowledgeable about the local fishing and how to caught them.
i also think his son still fishes in some local fishing club that is sponsored by Bass  :) ??? ::).

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2009, 08:57 PM »
mongo i know who you use me too. but one of the brothers died last year and i went to get bait , he said he would no longer be doing it too much work with out his bro. bless them . good poeple , and had the best bait around here kept there bait for over 2 months with only 2 floaters thing last forever

Offline jss111678

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 01, 2009, 09:04 PM »
oh yah it is the bait over there he keeps it indoors and the water is warm , so when you take them into the cold they go into shock. one time i got them and drove straight to congamond maybe 20 minutes tops got on the ice had 4 dozen between 3 guys and almost all were floating by the time the holes were drilled. they started a fire and i took my metal bait bucket over the fire warmed the water dumped it in a 5 gallon pail with the other minnows and with in 5 minutes 3 1/2 dozen minnows were swimming again. it was to cold for his indoor minnows

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 04, 2009, 04:53 AM »
Anyone know if Deans is still open over on 202 (I think). I remember his daughter ran it last year. It was nice cause it was on the way up towards waramug andMount Tom

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #15 on: Dec 04, 2009, 09:49 AM »
In winsted argus has bait during the ice season...

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #16 on: Dec 04, 2009, 03:06 PM »
It was hit or miss with her. I drive past it often but never find it open or hours posted, but fishing reports are still on the chalkboard outside the door. ??? ??? ???
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline jebra

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 06, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Dean's was open mostly weekends last season.  :tipup:

Offline mongosmash

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2009, 05:20 PM »
mongo i know who you use me too. but one of the brothers died last year and i went to get bait , he said he would no longer be doing it too much work with out his bro. bless them . good poeple , and had the best bait around here kept there bait for over 2 months with only 2 floaters thing last forever
Are you talking about the Zima brothers. they haven't sold bait for sometime now. but that stinks that anybody has to pass on. i know that one of them smoked these old and nasty cigars. he would chew on the damn thing while he would serve up your bait. for me that made it look like the old time bait shops. now we use YANKEE BAIT AND TACKAL their bait is also inside and i know his bait is to warm. thanks for the info. I'll have to give that a try when they start to swim funny.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2009, 05:52 PM »
Dean's was open mostly weekends last season.  :tipup:
Yeah, weekends.....and LAST season.
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.