Author Topic: water proof pro?  (Read 896 times)

Offline Brmcc74

• IceShanty Rookie
water proof pro?
« on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:15 PM »
Im wondering if you guys think that a camp or tent water proofing spray will help or prevent the water from dripping on my head. I thought about the insulation on the roll thing but am not sure how to get it to stick to the fabric perminantely.  Also Im not sure how it would fold down.  Has anyone ever tried these water repellants for regular camping tents?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: water proof pro?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:33 PM »
I tried some scotchguard on the canvas of my Otter Den and it discolored the fabric.(made it white) Made me mad, I used a brush to try and get the white off. I would not put anything on it. Is the water going through the material from the outside or is it condensation buildup from the temperature difference from outside the shack to inside the shack? Mine will collect water on the top a little when I have my heater running.

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:53 PM »
I use Camp Dry , put on two or three light applications and I'm good for the season .

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
watep proof pro?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:01 PM »
I dont think that will work unless the water is coming from outside. If its condensation the only thing that will work is no heat.

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:08 PM »
Camp Dry Works awsome on the outside! But for what you are describing non of the spray on water repellers will prevent the water dripping. The insullation is the only way to seperated the tempature differences that causes condensation and results in the dripping water. If you are talking about a flip style shack set it up and think about how to atach it to the tubes, duct tape, tarp tape, gorilla tape, gorilla glue....... This will solve your drip issue! Don't try to attach it to the fabric.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:16 PM »
Only proper ventilation will alleviate the condensate problem.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline Brmcc74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 24, 2009, 07:28 PM »
I use that single portable coleman lantern. That small lantern does put off alot of heat though. This is from accumulated snow and some rain last year a couple times I was out. never really thought about propery ventilating my portashanty. I do have a window, maybe I should open it. The dripping usually occurs at night.

Offline Nodie

• Team IceShanty Regular
100% Catch n' release!

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 24, 2009, 10:09 PM »
Use camp dry on the outside if you are still getting a shower  you can open the roof vents or side vents to reduce the water drop lets that you are getting on the inside !
Hard Ice

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Nov 25, 2009, 03:19 AM »
The 2 main products of propane combustion are CO2 and water. Seems odd, but it's true. Add to that the moisture from your own breath and body in that small a space and you'll have condensate. Anyone who drives a pickup knows how quickly the windows fog up inside.

If the water is leaking in to the shelter from the outside....that's a different problem.

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.