Author Topic: ATV TIRE'S LOSING AIR  (Read 12370 times)

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • STAND FOR THE FLAG, KNEEL FOR THE CROSS
ATV TIRE'S LOSING AIR
« on: Nov 22, 2009, 07:37 AM »
I bought an 85 BIG RED this summer, and can't keep air in the rear tires. Is there a way I can break these tires down, and clean up the rims or the tires themselves, or will I need to take them somewhere and have it done. Thanks.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
Re: ATV TIRE'S LOSING AIR
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:00 AM »
you could try some tire slim that stuff works pretty well

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:09 AM »
Do you know where the leak is?  The valve stem, the bead, or a hole in the tire or the rim?  Put it in a water tank to find the leak and go from there.
I have all four of the tires on my ATV "slimed".  Best thing I have done as an insurance against slow leaks and the resultant flat tire.  I carry a repair kit and a 12v compressor, as well.
I hear that slime will make changing a tire a real mess though, so I guess I will take mine to a shop when I need new rubber ;D

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:19 AM »

I hear that slime will make changing a tire a real mess though, so I guess I will take mine to a shop when I need new rubber ;D
better make it in a town where you don't live!   My buddy has a shop  and he doesn't swear till someone brings in a tire with fix a flat  or another product like that     I wouldn't ever jeopardize my friendship!   Besides he'd make me change it myself anyway!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline icezombie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:39 AM »
i see your big red is an 85. does it have the originol or old tires on it that are getting cracked or weather checked. ive seen where the will start getting really slow seeping leaks through the weather checking or cracks. i always had the problem with the tires getting low in low temperatures for obvious reasons. i filled them this year with nitrogen, it costs a little but if it gets me away from that anoyying low tires in the cold itwill be worth it.http://www.nitrofill.com/tire-nitrogen.aspx

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2009, 12:00 PM »
If you don't want to add tire slime, but can't afford new tires, why not try throwing inner tubes inside, just to get you through the winter? As long as you size them properly, durability shouldn't be an issue.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Nov 22, 2009, 12:38 PM »
Check the bead, those old Honda ATV rims get beat up and leak. I had a couple of these machines and they both did it. Tire slime wont fix a bead leak, or at least it wont fix a bead leak for me. I ended up putting tubes in both of them. The tubes were a real problem to find. That was at least ten years ago, so they may no longer be available.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Nov 22, 2009, 05:21 PM »
better make it in a town where you don't live!   My buddy has a shop  and he doesn't swear till someone brings in a tire with fix a flat  or another product like that     I wouldn't ever jeopardize my friendship!   Besides he'd make me change it myself anyway!

;D Thanks for that bit of advise there, Mainehazmt,  I'll prolly trade the machine when the rubber is worn out.  I'll take your advise under consideration.

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 22, 2009, 06:59 PM »
i see your big red is an 85. does it have the originol or old tires on it that are getting cracked or weather checked. ive seen where the will start getting really slow seeping leaks through the weather checking or cracks. i always had the problem with the tires getting low in low temperatures for obvious reasons. i filled them this year with nitrogen, it costs a little but if it gets me away from that anoyying low tires in the cold itwill be worth it.http://www.nitrofill.com/tire-nitrogen.aspx
The tires aren't the original's they are wider with good tread, and no weather checking. I have an older (78)110 with original tires that have a million miles on them, and aren't leaking. I'll take the 85 down to the boat ramp by my house, and drive in till the tires are good and wet, and see what's up. I went through the ice on the 110 along time ago, and when I got off of it, it bobbed up like a cork and floated on it's tires.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2009, 09:54 PM »
I did the floating 3 wheeler in a swamp one time. When I realized I wasnt going to make it any farther (the seat was under water) i got off and the dang thing popped right up on the tires! I thought it was pretty cool until the machine rolled over to float WHEELS UP. I guess she was top heavy.

Offline Lostboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for stiff water
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2009, 02:43 PM »
Check them valve stems!!! Those will be the first thing to crack and leak :%$#!:.

Offline flyboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 05, 2009, 11:55 PM »
quote author=Uncle Al link=topic=121010.msg1182842#msg1182842 date=1258897064]
I bought an 85 BIG RED this summer, and can't keep air in the rear tires. Is there a way I can break these tires down, and clean up the rims or the tires themselves, or will I need to take them somewhere and have it done. Thanks.
[/quote]Just like a few others I put an inner tube in my older Honda 250 four tracks, end of problem, however you will have an easier time finding a tube than trying to get the tire off that rim with the extra lip. F.B.
The worst day fishing is better than the best day at......heck! you guys already know that!

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 17, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Slime them.  I bought another boat this summer off ebay and the tires were flat and weather checked the guy pumped them up the day before I picked it up and within 2 hours they were flat......Put half a gallon in each tire and they haven't lost a pound of air in 6 months.  Got 2 spares that go with me everytime put the slime keeps working amazing stuff.
;

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:22 AM »
I took it down to the boat ramp and couldn't find any leaks, and have been using it for the last month hunting, hauling wood to the house, and the tires have stayed up. must be FM.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2009, 06:24 AM »
I took it down to the boat ramp and couldn't find any leaks, and have been using it for the last month hunting, hauling wood to the house, and the tires have stayed up. must be FM.
:clap: :clap:  "FM"  I like that.  ;D

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 18, 2010, 07:13 AM »
They must like this cold weather haven't lost air all winter.

Offline Fishin Nut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • God Bles America
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2010, 11:40 AM »
pull them and dip them in some soapy water, find out where the problem is, repair it, then Slime them.  I run Slime in my ATV tires and the logging trailer I pull behind my ATV, never an issue.  Yea I agree it can be messy if you have to break them down but I run some raggedy terrain out back and never an issue.
Never Forget 9/11/01

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:32 AM »
 I used to have a Honda fourtrax. I had leaks in all four tires :%$#!: Finally after  sliming all the tires with no luck
I took them to my Buddy's shop and he dipped them. Turned out to be small dings in the rims. MY BAD,I PUT THE
 DINGS IN EM !!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2010, 05:42 AM »
I use the Slime all the time. I do all of my own tires. I had some that just would not hold air. I took them of the rim several Rims trying to find the leak. A week later they would be down again. I put the slime in and they still went down. I had to mess with them while the slime was already in. Not as bad as you would imagine. The slime cleans off easily. My mistake was not putting enough in them the first time. Once I used the proper amount, no leaks since. I use the ATV slime.  They make several different bottles of Slime. Make sure you get the right one.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:29 AM »
My luck has run out. Haven't used the BIG RED for awhile, and both rear tires were down, so I filled them with air, took it in the barn and warmed it up for awhile, and poured the soapy water to them. Found a rim leak on both of them. I"m going to look for some tubes for them, and install them in the spring. for now I"ll live with the leaks. Thanks everyone for the replys about the tires. My other 3-wheeler is a 78, that has never had a low tire, and has a million miles on it, so this low tire thing was new to me. Thanks for all the help.

Offline jk700eficat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:58 AM »
one thing we do here on our quads is we run 27" mud bugs and run as low as 2-3 lbs a tire for better flex and traction in the mud, is we run a bead of black gasget silicone on each bead of the wheel....take the tire off the bead, clean it up, put some on each bead, and air it up at high pressure for a while so it sets real good....then after take it down to the pressure you want the next day or so.....just my 2 cents.....

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:01 PM »
jk700eficat

Thanks for that bit of info. I'll try it before I go with the tubes.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 08, 2010, 02:10 PM »
Don't run your tires with too low of pressure. I ripped my tires right off the bead. I was in some slush about 6 inches deep. The first time I lifted it out to solid ice. The second time I thought I would just muscle through it. Once the ice and slush got hold of the tire something had to give. I run about 12 lbs in each rear tire now and let the screws do the work, not the tire flex.

Offline jk700eficat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 08, 2010, 03:34 PM »
sorry..i should of put that low pressure we use for MUD..but in the winter for the cold run 5-6 lbs of air so that they don't flex too much....the cold can be hard on the tires and flex and crack.....the mud bugs are a heavy ply tire so can get away with low psi....would not reccommend for a factory tire..... hopefully Uncle Al that solves your problem.... :thumbsup:

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:44 PM »
I was looking through the owners manual for the 78 110 that I have, and it reccommends to use a hand pump and put 2.2 lbs of air in each tire.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:04 AM »
If you run low pressure In those old tires you will ruin them. You don't want them to be flexing too much in the sub zero temps. Plus if you are pulling things out on the lake, the sidewalls will flex like a top fuel dragster. The manual says 2lbs for the best ride on dry ground so you won't bounce yourself off the thing while riding. Like a basketball with too much air.

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:08 AM »
Replace the air valves.

Offline deerjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2010, 09:22 PM »
I have installed tubes in all the tires on my Big Red,  $20.00 PER TUBE AND $20.00 EACH FOR MOUNTING.  New tires are around $80.00 each plus the $20.00 for mounting.  No Brainer!!!  DEERJOHN

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Mar 16, 2010, 06:30 AM »
Deerjohn, where are you finding tubes for your tires. Thanks

Offline Uncle Al

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 18, 2010, 06:54 AM »
I'm still fighting these tires. Took them to a tire repair and had the rims cleaned up,new valves put in, and they still leak. Found another big red for a nice price that needs work, and took the tires of it, and put it on the other.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.