Author Topic: I got a bone to pick with Ice Shanty members  (Read 5912 times)

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
Re: I got a bone to pick with Ice Shanty members
« Reply #60 on: Nov 20, 2009, 01:41 PM »
I just spent another $50 at FishUSA TODAY, and it`s ALL YOUR FAULTS$S$S$  :-\

$1000?

Chump change to some of our habits...

Sno machine, 4wheeler, gas auger, hand auger, spud, permi shanty, popup shanty, jiminy creepers, JetSleds, trailer to haul it all, dedicated truck to haul the trailer, bait tanks, aeration, heaters, clothing,,,

I can meet that grand and raise it a couple more...  ;)
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline trapster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:08 PM »
I would be one that has far less than $1000 in equipment..  If I were given that much to spend on gear I don't know what I could spend that much on.. Got everything I need.
Shut up and fish.

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #62 on: Nov 20, 2009, 02:22 PM »
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline brokeinNYS

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #63 on: Nov 20, 2009, 05:50 PM »
I will be 75 in less then twenty days - it took me 73 years before i could be talked into sitting inside a Calm Pro shelter instead of a five gallon plastic pail. It took me another year to buy a small heater. Both on sale which turns a blowing gale into a "not quite perfect" ice fishing day almost any day.
 Gathered the remaining toys needed for the sport - but believe me your boys will never forget it or you for being out there with them.  Priceless is the fraternity of folks you will meet also enjoying the sport with you.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #64 on: Nov 20, 2009, 06:02 PM »
"What do you do for recreation?"

"Oh, the usual. I bowl. Drive around. The occasional acid flashback."...and ice fish.
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #65 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:05 PM »
I wonder how many guys on this site have less than $1000 worth of ice gear (not including clothing or transportation)?
Not many, I bet!!!

I've got almost that much in two Clams and a power auger.  Heck, I spent $1K in gas last year driving north to find ice several weekends until the first day of spring!!

-Jeff

Offline steubenlaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Nov 21, 2009, 06:42 AM »
acid flashback  IM IN TEARS LOL THATS FUNNY !!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #67 on: Nov 21, 2009, 10:57 AM »
Start off small, and get things that you need.

Gas Auger - helps to keep you mobile.
Vexilar - Helps you catch fish.
Portable Ice Shanty - Helps you stay when the weather gets a little challenging.

Those three items will get you darn close to a grand or more in $$$.

And we haven't even talked about creature comforts,  heater, nice fishing equipment, cook stove, etc.

Wiener

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #68 on: Nov 21, 2009, 02:49 PM »
I got wicked deals on all my equipment. I basically won't buy anything unless I at least FEEL like I'm getting a deal.
Portable-$150 on E-Bay.
Sonar-Way old Marcum (10 years I think) $200. It does the job and has been faithful.
Auger-I sold my gas auger because I found it unnessecary for the amount of ice I have to drill. It's rarely more than 24". Finbore 8" $120... I think.
Quad- Same as the auger. I only used it to drive to where I was fishing and drive back to the truck. I never rode for the sake of riding so I started walking and saved $60 a month.
I use a small Sunflower type heater just to take the edge off and heat up soup. I don't mess around when it comes to actual tackle though. With all the cash I saved on general comfort items, I can justify spending more on rods, reels, jigs, and terminal tackle.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline jiggin4eyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Nov 21, 2009, 06:22 PM »
It's a great addiction to have. My wife would rather I spend money on my outdoor hobbies than going to bars and drinking and such. Buy the basics now, couple of rods and a flasher is all you really need. Make sure you like the sport before you really dump money in. Then towards the end of the year you can get stuff on clearance and stock up. That's how I usually get my stuff. Watch sales and second had items.

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Nov 21, 2009, 08:26 PM »
My first year I sat on a bucket all season. I had an old LFP-150 Lowrance fish finder that used 2 lantern batteries, a couple of rod and reel combos and a few safety items(creepers, ice picks, etc). Then I had to get suckered in to other stuff (Showdown -$229, IceGator - $389, HT flip-over shelter - $200, new HT hand auger - $60, lots of jigs ($100's), fly boxes to hold all my jigs - $20.00, new boots - $90, IceArmour suit - $200, Underwater camera - $100, Mr. Buddy heater - $70, rod bags - $50, rod holders - $20) There are lots more I didn't buy. Once you are hooked, you better expect to invest.

Welcome to the Shanty!!
jbird68

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #71 on: Nov 21, 2009, 08:39 PM »
   I never got on a computer til last year, a friend told me there was place called IceShanty.com, Thanks Alot Slamboney, now I can't walk by the darn thing without out looking at IceShanty and MFF!!!!!!  I'm hooked like the rest of you!!  ;D
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline rezeye

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 22, 2009, 02:33 PM »
check out spearfishing  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #73 on: Nov 22, 2009, 08:31 PM »
portable shanty , gas auger ,sled ,wheeler, vex, underwater camera (it does take away from fishing but it's fun when there not biting) more then enough tip ups rods and jigs     all the money spent is always worth it when your on the ice with family and friends just enjoying mother nature ;)
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #74 on: Nov 22, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Welcome to IS.  Not only is this site full of facts, there is a never ending amount of stories & opinions!  Most of the tips on gear is based on individual trials.  You still need to see what will work best for you.

Offline bruce21m

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ITS MILLER TIME
« Reply #75 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:03 PM »
You and kidding, i have spent tons on ice fishing gear. I have had my old tip ups for years and wanted to up grade. Spent 250.00 on jack traps and then spent another 150.00 on 3 Big Bobs from jack traps. A larger pack basket to put them in 100.00 plus liner for the basket 50.00. New jig stick 45.00 jigs and such 100.00 and pop up shack 250.00. There 950.00 in just two weeks. Thank god iam a beer salesmen , so please drink more. I have to pay for my house now and a new sled. Sled first  ;D ;D ;D

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #76 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:10 PM »
haha you will  only get more and more addicted!!! its a great site with a TON of info on it

Offline Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Nov 22, 2009, 11:30 PM »
You may want to cancel any other plans you had for the winter... I have a feeling you will be plenty busy (just like the rest of us) with your new hobby! Good Luck!

Offline Swampfox

• IceShanty Rookie
  • out of bait out of beer out of here!
« Reply #78 on: Nov 24, 2009, 06:14 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D I feel the same way Lenny , im new here and  new to the sport ,and ive spent more time reading about catching fish than I have spent on the Ice. I hope it all pays off . Now all I need is some ice on the lakes!! ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.