The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Trying Any New Lakes This Year?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
Trying Any New Lakes This Year?
« on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:11 PM »
I am starting to get antsy for icefishing and am thinking of what new lakes to try this year. I want to try East Grand, Long Lake, Sebago and Lobster. These are on the top of my to-fish lakes. I will also be fishing St George, Swan, Unity, Pleasant in Caratunk and Moosehead pretty regularly this year. Where are you guys going to fish. You don't have to say your secret lake x's

Offline StingingLips

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trying Any New Lakes This Year?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:24 PM »
I just moved up to the bangor area for school, so ill be trying Pushaw, and any other lakes I can find in the area

Offline trouthunter

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Trout thru the ice are nice!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:08 AM »
got skunked last year on Cold Stream Pond.  gotta give it another try.

Offline LostOne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Here fishy, fishy, fishy...any second now."
« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:14 AM »
I haven't fished Sebago with ice yet, but I am definitely going to try jigging for togue this year. Got my shelter, heater, hand auger :'(, and plenty of tackle. I CAN"T WAIT!!!!! :woot:
I fish.                                                         

Offline jrelaxin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • justrelaxin
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2009, 08:52 AM »
got a few on my mind ......if I get out...........but always make it back to "little tricky"......... ;)2
Donuts !!!!!       

Dave

Offline JimmieDean

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Everyone Dies, but Not Everyone Lives! RIP T Ryan
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:17 AM »
got a few on my mind ......if I get out...........but always make it back to "little tricky"......... ;)2

Let me guess, more pictures at the boat launch.  :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline kourtjestr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I just moved up to the bangor area for school, so ill be trying Pushaw, and any other lakes I can find in the area

I've fished Pushaw a LITTLE bit during open water.  I never have on the ice, since it's a big lake and I don't have a sled.  However, I've found plenty of other fishing opportunities in the area...

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Always try to hit a few new waters each year.  I was thinking maybe Kezar Lake, Stanley Pond, Pleasant Pond, and something up in the Jackman area.  Who knows?

Offline kimball07

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • race,fish,and hunt
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2009, 04:35 PM »
going to try a few for sure!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:05 PM »
I am considering a trip to lake "Q".  State stocking reports tiger muskies have been dumped in there in years past.

MD

Offline jiggnfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 17, 2009, 05:39 PM »
I'm pretty much just focusing on crappie, walleye, cusk and lakers this year.

I also found a spot that has a bunch of these guys and some nice crappie that I need to try... ;D

Just waiting for sundown...

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #11 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Nice bluegill!

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:31 PM »
I'm pretty much just focusing on crappie, walleye, cusk and lakers this year.

I also found a spot that has a bunch of these guys and some nice crappie that I need to try... ;D

(Image removed from quote.)
walleye?  You headed to NH?

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #13 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:54 AM »
gonna make it up to the county finally...got plans to fish long lake and im pretty excited about it. that and many old favorites i should have no problem filling up a winter

Offline jiggnfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 18, 2009, 05:01 AM »
I guess we don't have to toguefisha, they are in Maine now...

http://maineoutdoorjournal.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=276574&ac=Outdoors
Just waiting for sundown...

Offline Downeaster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:13 AM »
A very nice walleye for sure.  Actually I have always wondered why Maine, has always been against the introduction of
Walleyes to waters that do not contain brook trout.  They are fine angling, and fine eating.  I believe ice fishing for them in numerous
Maine ponds would be a real draw once Maine ice fishermen caught a few.  Generally, there fight is poor but the table fare is
incomparable with any other Maine inland water fish.  Maine trout are okay eating but nothing like eating a Walleye. I have caught many
Walleyes in the Misstassini lake region which has some of  the finest Brook trout, Togue, fishing in the northeast.

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:49 AM »
I've got a couple new Crappie places to investagate this year, and of course I'll fish the the tried and true places!  :icefish:

A very nice walleye for sure.  Actually I have always wondered why Maine, has always been against the introduction of
Walleyes to waters that do not contain brook trout.  They are fine angling, and fine eating.  I believe ice fishing for them in numerous
Maine ponds would be a real draw once Maine ice fishermen caught a few.  Generally, there fight is poor but the table fare is
incomparable with any other Maine inland water fish.  Maine trout are okay eating but nothing like eating a Walleye. I have caught many
Walleyes in the Misstassini lake region which has some of  the finest Brook trout, Togue, fishing in the northeast.
I've ate many walleye when I lived in Wisc., if ppl only knew how good they are! They sure beat a trout that tastes like liver pellets.  :cookoo: :roflmao:

Offline kourtjestr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:37 AM »
Hmm.. this lake "Q" sounds interesting... I'd love to get a tiger muskie through a hole...  Looks like it could take your arm if you weren't careful getting it through the ice...

Offline MaineFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:51 AM »
Moved to a new area this summer so I'm going to be trying a lot of new spots, I just don't know which ones yet. I also hope to get home a few times to fish my old spots too.

Offline toguefisha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:47 AM »
I guess we don't have to toguefisha, they are in Maine now...

http://maineoutdoorjournal.mainetoday.com/story.php?id=276574&ac=Outdoors
I had read that article before.  One was caught in Spaulding Pond in Lebanon a couple years back as well (a drop down from NH).  What I hadn't heard was whether the walleye caught in the Belgrades was one spawned there or just one that someone had dumped in there.  I thought that I read somewhere that something to do with the water chemistry in Maine made it difficult for Walleye to spawn here.  If they are self sustaining in the Belgrades you would think that with the amount of people who fish there, more people would be catching them?  I know NH stocks some of there lakes but again, hadn't heard whether they are succesful in sustaining themselves?  Be interesting to find out if anyone has that info.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:17 AM »
I am starting to get antsy for icefishing and am thinking of what new lakes to try this year. I want to try East Grand, Long Lake, Sebago and Lobster. These are on the top of my to-fish lakes. I will also be fishing St George, Swan, Unity, Pleasant in Caratunk and Moosehead pretty regularly this year. Where are you guys going to fish. You don't have to say your secret lake x's
You should come down and join us at Megunticook Lake this season too....Big Red will be out there!!!

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:19 AM »
I'd like to try a good crappie water and slay some crappie!!!

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #22 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:35 AM »
You should come down and join us at Megunticook Lake this season too....Big Red will be out there!!!

How far is that from Brooks?

I'd like to try a good crappie water and slay some crappie!!!

I know a pretty good crappie area.... ;D ;D

Offline kourtjestr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:29 PM »

Hmm... I was going to say I know a fairly crappie area.. LOL...  For me, crappie through the ice hasn't really happened yet.  I know where to find them open water, but I tend to fish from shore during the hard water season, so it's hard to get a school going..  Maybe this year I'll finally get a porta-shelter and try my luck..

Offline pennreels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:25 PM »
Andrews Pond in Lewistion.  Anyone fish it.

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #25 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:25 PM »

Hmm... I was going to say I know a fairly crappie area.. LOL...  For me, crappie through the ice hasn't really happened yet.  I know where to find them open water, but I tend to fish from shore during the hard water season, so it's hard to get a school going..  Maybe this year I'll finally get a porta-shelter and try my luck..

I have a portable shelter but it is a 4 person ad doesn't move around too easily. I just grab a chair and my marcum and move around to my pre-drilled holes. Moving around usually keeps me warm.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:29 PM »
How far is that from Brooks?
It's in Camden.
Saaweet!!!  Need some bait?

Offline Joser06

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jig
« Reply #27 on: Nov 18, 2009, 04:23 PM »
Saaweet!!!  Need some bait?

Sure! I will get you up to the lake later in the season. Scored some big crappie out of there last season

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:47 PM »
Most of my ice time will be spent on Roxbury,  Webb and Haley.  Same as last year.  Some new places I want to try are Wyman lake and Unity Pond, maybe the Tacomas.

Offline Litchfield Fisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I had read that article before.  One was caught in Spaulding Pond in Lebanon a couple years back as well (a drop down from NH).  What I hadn't heard was whether the walleye caught in the Belgrades was one spawned there or just one that someone had dumped in there.  I thought that I read somewhere that something to do with the water chemistry in Maine made it difficult for Walleye to spawn here.  If they are self sustaining in the Belgrades you would think that with the amount of people who fish there, more people would be catching them?  I know NH stocks some of there lakes but again, hadn't heard whether they are succesful in sustaining themselves?  Be interesting to find out if anyone has that info.
not an expert on it by any means but I reserched it some a while ago and basicaly found that back in the 50's 60's the state tried stocking them in the belgrades but the alkalinity in the water was not condusive to their spawning range so after a few years they petered out, then there is speculation that in the 80's early 90's some one illegally reintroduced them and for several years 1-2 were caught then petered out, this latest fish from the article is belived to be one from another illegal introduction atempt as the bio's caught several all in the same age class in their survey nets a year or two ago.  Not saying this is a 100% accurute but its what I've found
Most of my ice time will be spent on Roxbury,  Webb and Haley.  Same as last year.  Some new places I want to try are Wyman lake and Unity Pond, maybe the Tacomas.

don't waste your time on the tacomas unless you like yellow perch 
Its not a passion its an obsession

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.