The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Spoonin'  (Read 861 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Spoonin'
« on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:45 AM »
Note: I am not supporting any brand of bait nor any certain outdoor show. I only say this because I don't want this post pulled for spamming.

I plan to do some spoonin' for channel cats and pike over the course of this winter. Hit up a sporting goods store in Denver and dropped some green on pretty much everything I need for this season.

I was watching an Ice fishing show on the outdoor channel and saw Doug Stange using an artificial scented worm to tip his jigs. I pretty much worship the ground Doug Stange walks on, so I went ahead and bought some artificial scented minnows.  I  plan to cut them with a scissors into small pieces to use as my scent attractor on jigs and spoons. ("recharge" them as I fish) Has anyone ever used artificials for this purpose?  I know many of the WY board use sucker belly meat, but it doesn't hurt to try something new this year. Any feedback or thoughts on this alternative bait?
So many fish, so little time.

Offline 327trout

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Spoonin'
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2009, 09:52 AM »
I sometimes fish with small spoons for perch and we put on a artificial crawdad, it's scented and comes in a jar but I don't know the brand. Seems to work as well as meal worms for perch.

Offline Double-L

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2009, 10:03 AM »
Note: I am not supporting any brand of bait nor any certain outdoor show. I only say this because I don't want this post pulled for spamming.

I plan to do some spoonin' for channel cats and pike over the course of this winter. Hit up a sporting goods store in Denver and dropped some green on pretty much everything I need for this season.

I was watching an Ice fishing show on the outdoor channel and saw Doug Stange using an artificial scented worm to tip his jigs. I pretty much worship the ground Doug Stange walks on, so I went ahead and bought some artificial scented minnows.  I  plan to cut them with a scissors into small pieces to use as my scent attractor on jigs and spoons. ("recharge" them as I fish) Has anyone ever used artificials for this purpose?  I know many of the WY board use sucker belly meat, but it doesn't hurt to try something new this year. Any feedback or thoughts on this alternative bait?
   Can't see where it could hurt???? 8)....  :thumbsup:     Lou
"CATCH & RELEASE" --- For another day!

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2009, 11:41 AM »
Not sayin' they don't work, but I have fished with the Gulp type scented ures tipping my ice jigs with pretty limited success.  Fishing for rainbows, browns and cutts, I was trying an ice fly with a Gulp, my wife had a similar lure with a piece of a crawler.  She was catching fish like crazy, I was not having any luck.  I switched to a piece of crawler or mealworm and would instantly get bit.  The fish treated the ice fly with a gulp maggot the same as a lure with no bait.

On the other hand, I have had success with the Gulp lures fishing for lakers in open water, so it may be something worth trying.....

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2009, 05:48 PM »
2 years ago I was slammin' crappie, perch and some pan-size 'eyes at KH using scented baits (maggots, minnows) on jigs. Last year there was hardly a soul, well, except for Big Ice, doing any good. Even with the expensive minnows. G&F dumped huge amounts of bait shad in the water and the icefishing was horrible for most. That and the water level changes most likely moved fish off of the regular spots.

:tipup:

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2009, 09:34 PM »
To clarify spamming on the site. If I posted a thread about how much I like my Jiffy drill and how much less it weighs etc than my old Jiffy, how it's easier to handle etc, that's not an issue, nor should it be. Part of what we're on this site for is discussing gear. On the other hand, if I'm pushing my Jiffys I just put on sale and stand to personally benefit $$$$$$ from my thread, well, that gives Scott a little heartburn and rightly so. So discuss gear as much as you wish and don't look over your shoulder. Anybody who's been on Wyoming Shanty for any length of time knows I'll do about three other things before I delete a post or move a thread. No one likes a post removed...not even me.    BTW, I've used Gulp scented nightcrawlers and caught walleys on Ocean on them.
                                                            Don  ;)   LT/Iceshanty Moderator

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.