Author Topic: Otter Sled or Storage Bin with skis  (Read 13881 times)

Offline smatt

• IceShanty Rookie
Otter Sled or Storage Bin with skis
« on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Another newbie question, any opinions about the pros/cons appreciated...
I'm planning on getting one of the pop up type ice shacks, will probably get a buddy heater, and need to bring a few chairs, and the flasher, ect.  so i'm open to options for getting gear out on the lake.  No wheeler or sled, so I'll be walking.

I was waiting for the Otter sleds to get stocked in the stores, but then got to thinking after adding the cover to keep snow/slush out of your gear in the winter, and dust/dirt out during summer storage you are at $100.  You can buy a cheaper sled,(Jet or Wild), but then you have to do something to keep from wearing through the bottom according to some reading on this site.

So I was looking at the Smart Bin in the Wallyworld auto area.
it is $45, holds 50gal, and is 40"x24"x18"
it seems to be made strong enough were you could mount rod holders, ect to it with out a problem, but i would need something to make it glide, was thinking either skis, or the conduit runners I've seen on here.

I like the idea of the smart bin because i think it could be customized to keep gear more organized, but I'm wondering if it will want to tip over pulling through uneven terrain do to the taller profile, and also with the size of it I might have the tendency to load it up, causing it to get pretty heavy and be a pain to load and unload...  and I'm guessing neither the auger or pop up shack  will fit inside so they will have to be strapped to the top.

so, should I go sled, or custom storage bin??
Thanks,
Matt

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Otter Sled or Storage Bin with skis
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2009, 12:16 AM »
Personally I would do the storage bin with skis. It's going to be way easier pulling in snow and you'll get the top with it for great storage of gear when its time to put everything away. Since you're going to make a platform with this set up, you could extend the "frame" so that it has a place on the back for your auger, your pop up shack, or even a minnow bucket. You can make the skis wide enough that you won't tip it over. Just make sure they stick out wider than the bin!! I will try to find a picture of the neat set up i saw on here a few days ago. Plus it's just plain cooler to say you made something yourself and you can customize it to exactly how you want it.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2009, 03:23 AM »
I did the storage bin thing. NOT WORTH IT!!! I went to a jet sled. Now I am thinking about an Otter sled and shelter. They are a bit pricey but as long as the wife doesn't know I'm good.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2009, 08:52 AM »
I don`t know how much snow you plan to trudge through but a home-made sled with downhill skis pulls easiest in any condition. As long as it is elevated about 4 inches or more.

I have an Otter, it`s either a medium or large (CRS   :P ), but not the biggest one. With enough tipups for 2, couple jig poles, bait bucket, 8 inch powered auger, it becomes a chore to pull it through anything over 6 inches deep when walking. They compress to much snow. It gets alot worse if a popup is loaded on top. Pulled along by a snomo or 4wheeler, they also get damaged on pavement, gravel and going over rockpiles, brush, etc, so I`m putting skis under mine to take care of both problems.

At around $100 for the toboggan, $50 for the towbar and $30 for the cover, I think next time I`m just gonna build something from scratch again and save some dough...   :-\
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I did the storage bin thing. NOT WORTH IT!!! I went to a jet sled. Now I am thinking about an Otter sled and shelter. They are a bit pricey but as long as the wife doesn't know I'm good.
What didn't you like about it?

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2009, 09:19 AM »
I don`t know how much snow you plan to trudge through but a home-made sled with downhill skis pulls easiest in any condition. As long as it is elevated about 4 inches or more.

I have an Otter, it`s either a medium or large (CRS   :P ), but not the biggest one. With enough tipups for 2, couple jig poles, bait bucket, 8 inch powered auger, it becomes a chore to pull it through anything over 6 inches deep when walking. They compress to much snow. It gets alot worse if a popup is loaded on top. Pulled along by a snomo or 4wheeler, they also get damaged on pavement, gravel and going over rockpiles, brush, etc, so I`m putting skis under mine to take care of both problems.
nor easter
That is the same thing I did and they pull so nice.
I actually built a sled shaped like an otter and with a couple compartments.  It was a bit heavy with all the gear in it but it pulled great with those downhill skis on it.  Even a couple times my 8 year old would jump on .  I tried cross country skis and they suck.  mabey i will post a pic some day

Offline smatt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2009, 12:21 PM »
:-\

Yes we get plenty of snow here in Wisconsin, so that is good to know that the sleds don't pull easy whent they are loaded.

I'm new to this, and I want to try to fish on my own without waiting for a buddy to take me out.  so I'm just trying to ask questions, so I get the right gear the first time.

I think if I go with the storage bin, I would want to make a detachable base with skis, so if I'm driving out on the ice, I can just throw it in the back seat of the car or truck without the skis.

So far seems that custom storage bin is the best way to go, if I have to put skis or runners on the sled anyway, plus then buying a cover seperate just adds up to alot of money.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I made a sled from down hill skis, 2 x 6 bases, plywood deck, and a 64 quart cooler on top for storage of gear, lunch that doesn't freeze as fast, and to hide my fish/fishbag in.  I sit on it well, it will hold my auger with bunji cords.  the deck has an edge to put my feet up on so I can get my feet up off the ice. Has a buck on the front for the lantern, and the fish finder screen attaches to the bucket. Weights about 50 pounds empty but with the pick up truck to haul it in is right on. A backrest a foot tall makes some comfort and I do have a number of pvc plastic pipe rod holders on the end.  A used cooler in used condition from a yardsale will work very satisfactorily. The cooler saves much time in construction and is very durable. The weight does help in strong winds which we have in Wyoming. Parts of the contraption are painted black which holds heat on sunny days.
My brother made a box from one of the chain store bin boxes. he put 1" conduit D shaped runners on the sides. It holds his gear and is a seat. It pulls quite well in a foot of snow/slush when it has to.
Thre is a page on the equipment page of other inventors sleds and it is full of good ideas.
The old fasioned cross country skis with out the plastic scales on the bottoms are lighter and still offer good "slide" on the ice/snow.
No patent pending here folks.
Thread killer

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2009, 07:56 PM »
Cross country skis do dig in, down hill is the way you want to go. I set eveything on top of this and it slides very easy. The wheels are easyly removeable.

http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2009, 05:53 PM »
I have a otter sled with the cover and I love it, well worth the money Ive never had a problem pulling it through the the deep snow :tipup:

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:01 PM »
otter with cover, hitch and hyfax will last you a lifetime  (or till you want a bigger one)
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2009, 06:21 PM »
OTTER :tipup:
 ;D :clap:  :thumbsup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:11 PM »
Don't forget to wax your skis... and use ski wax and not PAM....

Offline L8FISHER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:24 PM »
fishinJim how did you fasten the skis?
L8FISHER

Offline mcpatter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 01, 2010, 01:36 PM »
fishinJim,

Are those rivets to connect all of your PVC.  No glue?
I wanna go fishin...(whiney voice)

Offline timbobber

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I used downhill skis, and they pull great in a straight line. The edges on the skis make turning a bit difficult. Has anyone else had this problem, and is grinding off the edges a good idea? Thanks for any insight.

Offline hook_set

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:01 PM »
a $10 cement mixing tub and 2 old plastic snowboards screwed to the bottom of the tub did the trick for me  :tipup:

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #17 on: Jan 20, 2010, 11:07 PM »
Glue and screws...Glue pulled apart when i pulled it sideways with a full load on it.

End caps with 4 screws going into the skis.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #18 on: Jan 21, 2010, 11:57 AM »
You need to use primer before the glue to make a better bond.

Smatt,
The reason I said use skis is because you alredy made a box. Otherwise I would have said Jetsled or Otter but put either hifax or skis underneath.

I am going to put skis under my Otter but on the sides with legs so I do not need to drill holes through the bottom. The Otter makes a great bait tank in the summer.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2010, 08:59 PM »
I have a otter sled with the cover and I love it, well worth the money Ive never had a problem pulling it through the the deep snow :tipup:

Ditto! 

I too have an Otter medium sled with cover and installed the Hyfax runners.  I have trekked over many lakes, roads, rocks, etc with no problems other than abit of wear on the runners. 

Very durable sled!

No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2010, 12:38 PM »
I want to add carbides to the bottom of my otter sled to keep it in a straight line on glare ice!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline AltaIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • S.W. Calgary , Alberta
« Reply #21 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:41 AM »
Hey  Smatt ....... Hi Gang.

Got to tell ya I LOVE my Otter Two mini sled.

I guess for Several Reasons... Top 2 Fast reasons I can think of are  =  - How strong it seems to be.. A very thick bottom and when
 I used to be able to pick it up from the top , it would never twist.
= - It's size. at the time I had a smaller car and it would fit well (even loaded ) Now it still fits very well into a small SUV..

I have to say though if I still had a truck.. I  would (maybe) look into doing the Ski set up like " fishinjim's". I like how he has made it. how light it looks and what one can put on top...  My only down fall with me having skies, is that I would not be very good at all in doing the WAXING thing.. I know me and I would never get into it or be very good on using the right wax etc, etc,

Everyone likes, buys or Builds a sled  loading hauling unit that fits them or gives them the chance to play with ideas.. I have to tell ya.. thinking about it , designing something and then building it suit our needs is more than half the fun.. and it keeps me away from the T.V.
( sorry  got a little off the topic)
I have never had a Jet or anything like that style of sled.. I just know that My little Otter has worked for me.. OH YA !!   I almost forgot
I Stuck "HYFAX RUNNERS" on the bottom of my sled and I have to say it was money well spent.. it slides even better now.

Next thing for my sled is a hard handle for it.. so I can control it better.

Later all..

Take Care .... Enjoy your units.

8)

" I Don't Fail …  I Succeed In Finding What Does Not Work "

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.