The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Mr. Heater making lots of noise!  (Read 29648 times)

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mr. Heater making lots of noise!
« on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:09 PM »
I have an older Mr. Heater that sounds a constant tone which increases in pitch the high the setting (med & high).  Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?  If so, how did you resolve it?

Offline ZFK

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mr. Heater making lots of noise!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:16 PM »
Could there be a piece of dirt stuck in the jet of where the fuel comes out? Sometimes mine has a high pitched sound to it but after it warms up it disappears.

Offline jaklakmak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LIVE OUTDOORS!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:25 PM »
A lot of these heaters do that. Ive been told its just the air blowing through the orifice and its usually more prevalent on colder days because the propane's properties are different than they would be on a 40 degree day verses a 0 degree day.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 11, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Is it really obnoxious, or just a quiet whistle? A low steady whistle is normal from the gas passing through the lines.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Just start a bonfire on the ice!  ;D
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline jasonmeekhof

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 13, 2009, 10:38 AM »
I just got mine out yesterday and it was hard to start. Took about 20 clicks before the pilot lit up.

As for your noise, maybe check that everything is tight. Sometimes a slight vibration can resonate into a loud noise, like running a wet finger around the rim of a wine glass. Try to pinpoint where it's coming from by putting pressure on different areas.
Jason Meekhof<br />Muskegon, MI <br />www.myspace.com/underallow<br />

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2009, 02:37 PM »
The tones are loud and obnoxious.  The unit is so old there isnt even a click starter onj it....have to light it with a long lighter.  Thanks for the tips!

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Well....I finally got around to messing with my Mr. Heater Cooker.  I unscrewed all the connections and put thread sealer on them just in case there was a leak somewhere.  It is still noisy as hell........I just cant figure it out. ???  Guess it's time to throw it out.  I didn't really wanna spend $50 on another heater when there is other stuff I would like to buy for the ice.  Oh well  :-\

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2009, 06:02 PM »
A lot of these heaters do that. Ive been told its just the air blowing through the orifice and its usually more prevalent on colder days because the propane's properties are different than they would be on a 40 degree day verses a 0 degree day.
Yup...that's what I've heard too. Mines been doing it for the last couple years but still works nicely...noise comes and goes...don't throw it out
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2009, 06:09 PM »
Maybe you need a filter on it, been running mine fore three years now not a sound.

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2009, 06:30 PM »
Maybe you need a filter on it, been running mine fore three years now not a sound.

How do u put a filter on it?

I did a little experimenting and noticed the noise goes away if I slightly cover one of the holes on the side of the vertical tube.  I put a piece of duct tape covering approx. 1/4 of the opening.  The noise is gone?  This wont make a difference in the operation or gas consumption of the heater will it?

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2009, 06:37 PM »
my buddy has one that does that it sounds like a jet engine trying to take off still works just scares the beejezuz outa me

Offline zonks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 10, 2009, 08:21 AM »
Mine did the same and I did the duct tape thing and it works great. Haven't noticed if it uses any more or less gas. Keeps me warm thats all I care about.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #13 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:03 AM »
How do u put a filter on it?

I did a little experimenting and noticed the noise goes away if I slightly cover one of the holes on the side of the vertical tube.  I put a piece of duct tape covering approx. 1/4 of the opening.  The noise is gone?  This wont make a difference in the operation or gas consumption of the heater will it?
Just tried the experiment myself and found out something else. I started the heater and as soon as I heard the humming I covered one hole completely with duct tape and humming stopped. Then I covered the other hole with my thumb just to see what would happen...FLAMES :woot: So my guess is less air means more gas consumption? Any scientists out there to back/disprove this theory? Think I will just poke a small hole in the tape and go with that for now...and not cover the other hole ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline n4cer26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 10, 2009, 11:17 AM »
Just tried the experiment myself and found out something else. I started the heater and as soon as I heard the humming I covered one hole completely with duct tape and humming stopped. Then I covered the other hole with my thumb just to see what would happen...FLAMES :woot: So my guess is less air means more gas consumption? Any scientists out there to back/disprove this theory? Think I will just poke a small hole in the tape and go with that for now...and not cover the other hole ;D

I left one hole completely open and just slightly covered the adjacent hole until the noise stopped.  I noticed a little more "roar" to the flame...as if it were getting more air......but this cant be the case if the hole has been slightly covered.  So it must mean that there is the same amount of gas.....just less air.  I hope I dont burn my shanty down!  LOL

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:00 PM »
Just start a bonfire on the ice!  ;D

I haven't met you yet CP but I have to say some of your comments are outstanding!

As far as your noisy Mr. Heater, as long as it doesn't sound like a nagging wife I wouldn't worry too much ...

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:03 PM »
Thank you Lobes...lifes to short to be serious all the time!  ;D

I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:14 AM »
mine grows wings just before it calms down

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 15, 2009, 12:30 AM »
Clean the orifice, that usually makes it go away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.