Author Topic: Where to get rid of old auger gas  (Read 2823 times)

Offline mtman12672

• IceShanty Rookie
Where to get rid of old auger gas
« on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:22 AM »
Hey guys.  Got some old gas mixed with 2 cycle oil for my auger in a container.  I'd like to start the season with fresh gas/oil.  Wondering what you all do with your old gas mixes when you don't want to use them anymore.  I've heard people say put them in a car, use them in mowers, etc, but I'd hate to screw up a good piece of equipment or car engine just to save a couple bucks if there is a way to dispose of it easily.  Thanks. 

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
Re: Where to get rid of old auger gas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:28 AM »
What you'd be putting into the car gas tank won't do any harm. Wait until just before you have to fill up again, dump it in and go and fill the tank. It will be pretty diluted in 10-20 gals. of gas. If you have an older mower or chanin saw, dump it in there...most use to require a mix anyway.

But you won't harm your car with it.
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #2 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:28 AM »
I assume you want a "safe" way of disposal?  Call your local trash hauler and ask.  There is typically a place to dispose of hazardous materials.  Ours is at our local waste transfer station.
You should hear about lots of ways to dispose of gas on here so I will not be the one to make any other recomendations  ;D
Psssst - I'll just mention evaporation.  ::) :o

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Anything over a gallon I just put it in my truck with a screened funnel when it is below freezing only and dilute it as mentioned above. This separates any water by turning it to ice which the screen will catch.

I talking just a quart or less, you can put it in with old engine oil or let it evaporate in a coffee can..
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:29 AM »
Every fall I have a big pile of brush and such that needs to get burned... I always just use any old gas that I have around to help light it

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:33 AM »
get yourself a 50 gallon barrel and slowly fill it halfway up throughout the years, then burn it all.  :woot: >:D :callcops:

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:05 AM »
I use my old auger gas the following summer to start camp fires.  I would not suggest putting it into a vehicle diluted or not. 

Offline JCaughtem

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Someday I will have a record fish!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:06 AM »
start a fire.

Offline jkoegel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:10 AM »
x2 on starting a fire.
That's what happens to all my old gas.
Or...Just take it to any garage that does oil changes. Pretty sure they will take it. Just like dropping off used oil, transmission fluid, etc....

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:15 AM »
A small amount of gas can be poured in a pan out doors and simply wait for it to evaporate. Pour a little at a time, not a whole bucket full.
I pour it on the brush mixed with a little used motor oil to slow down the flash.
Don't put it in the car, there are to many sensors now days that would cause you problems.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline JIG MONSTER

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:24 AM »
In the spring empty your auger and take any leftover pre mix from ice fishing and put it to use in your chainsaw weed whacker etc....
If you don,t use any two stroke equipment in the summer months I am sure one of your neighbors or friends would appreciate a free gallon or two of premix fuel which is better than just throwing it out.
If you just don't care that much make a fire and have some fun.

Offline Norman Schrader

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born to fish
« Reply #11 on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:39 AM »
Don't do what my neighbor did this summer.  He poured about 2 gallons on his brush pile and lit it with a match!  The resulting explosion sent flames 40 ft high and shook the houses for about a 1/2 mile up and down the shoreline so bad that everyone thought there was an earthquake or a boat explosion.  He wound up in the hospital with severe burns.
Most counties around us have some form of collection facility for hazardous waste.  You might want to check with your local county.
Whatever you do - think safety
Good luck.
Norm
Norman J. Schrader

Offline IceFishinJoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Alcoholic
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2009, 11:59 AM »
Another vote here for using it to start fires. Works great.

Joe

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 05, 2009, 12:02 PM »
Don't do what my neighbor did this summer.  He poured about 2 gallons on his brush pile and lit it with a match!  The resulting explosion sent flames 40 ft high and shook the houses for about a 1/2 mile up and down the shoreline so bad that everyone thought there was an earthquake or a boat explosion.  He wound up in the hospital with severe burns.
Most counties around us have some form of collection facility for hazardous waste.  You might want to check with your local county.
Whatever you do - think safety
Good luck.
Norm
Explosions like that come from distributing the gas in a huge area... so when you burn gas, put it in a metal coffee can or something like that. lighting a 5 gallon bucket full of gas will be fairly safe (until it melts away) compared to dumping 5 gallons in a circle 20 feet wide...

but yeah, whatever you do just be careful. if you have a lot then put it in a metal container and light it that way. its the FUMES not the LIQUID that burns.

Offline JJK

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Loves fishing and camping all year round
« Reply #14 on: Nov 05, 2009, 01:29 PM »
Hey guys.  Got some old gas mixed with 2 cycle oil for my auger in a container.  I'd like to start the season with fresh gas/oil.  Wondering what you all do with your old gas mixes when you don't want to use them anymore.  I've heard people say put them in a car, use them in mowers, etc, but I'd hate to screw up a good piece of equipment or car engine just to save a couple bucks if there is a way to dispose of it easily.  Thanks. 
I have left mine for over a year but i buy a bottle of gas stabilizer put a little in and it works find,if not use it for a fire or contact fire dept. for dumping stations like we have here.
As long as I breathe I will fish as long as I can

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Another vote here for using it to start fires. Works great.

Joe

Yes I agree...Small fires!!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 05, 2009, 02:38 PM »
Besides talking to your local government officials or a gas station,you may want to call a small engine/power equipment dealer.
  Despite what anyone tells you I would not put the mix into your automobiles gas tank.
 I own a Toro snow blower that uses a 50 to 1 gas oil mix.When I purchased the snow blower the dealer told me add any left over mix to your cars gas tank,you will be fine. The snow blowers owners manual suggested the same. So in the spring I emptied the remaining mix into my 1998 Jeep Cherokee's fuel tank. A week or less later the check engine light on my dashboard comes on ,take jeep to garage i use they check it over and are able to clear the on board computer. A few days later the check engine light comes on again go through same deal once more. later that week the light is on once more  this time I mention to garage owner about adding fuel mix to gas tank. He and his workers say why did i do this and that it maybe the source of my problem.
  It turned out that on my model Jeep the fuel pump is mounted inside the fuel tank and the small amount of oil in the mix damaged a rubber gasket setting of a sensor.
   So after almost a month of trips back an forth to the garage the problem was located and fixed. I also had to empty the fuel tank so it could be removed and new fuel pump installed. So DO NOT Add FUEL MIXTURE TO YOU VEHICLE"S GAS TANK.
  Sorry for shouting but no one needs the hassle I went through to find and fix any automobile problem.
 Steve

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 05, 2009, 04:42 PM »
A week or less later the check engine light on my dashboard comes on
[/color]

A quart of gas or more like 10 gallons? Key word here is `dilute`.

I`m ~almost~ as old as the most senior (by age) member here and I`ve either emptied my questionable petrol into my more forgiving 4-strokes (my truck) or I`ve done things such as started fires or even used them in my alter-ego sports items like outboards or other equipment including lawn maintenance and chainsaws etc.

The most finicky, BY FAR, toy, that I have, is my snowmobile. The rest are more forgiving and the gas used (including freshness) is less of an issue.

A smart burn car may give a code but if it does, you just gave it a mouthful of some old gas that you did not properly dilute yet. Metering it in is the key. It WILL burn.

Yeah, yeah, fear mongers, scared of the inconvenience of fouling a plug,,,,, I`ll tell you one thing right now. I replace my spark plugs only when necessary, no sooner. Regap if need be, I usually get 5 years or more on my vehicles, nearly their entire life on my toys. A fouled plug represents a continuous use of said motor in a too-rich environment.

Reminder, I am old school and go by what my plug looks like.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 05, 2009, 04:55 PM »
I must add one thing. I have never melted a piston.

Purging carburetor bowls with new gas prior to starting is a good thing.

The heavier WATER (combined with alcohol E10), will settle. Guaranteed. Take that out and 99-9/10ths% of your problems are gone.

So drain it, or purge it out in the case of diaphragm carbs.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Nov 05, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Put stabil in at the end of the season next time.  Unless it's older than a year I'd shake it up and use it.  I'm sure you could find someone that will run that in there old snowmobile, boat, etc.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 05, 2009, 05:12 PM »
I only mix a gallon at a time. If the season is winding down, I'll only make a half gollon. My brother in-law who is the mechanic who would deal with the problem told me to put it in my car with a fill up. I've been doing it for 8 years now and have never had a problem. If you don't want to run it in the car then burn some brush.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 05, 2009, 05:48 PM »
I would think it would be okay to add to older cars...but with all of the computers in cars today.... is it really worth it?  Over such a small quanitity?  I would rather burn it through the auger periodicaly over the summer...just my thoughts...
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:03 PM »
Simply:
I do 6 gallons at one time mostly as anything less is a hassle.

ALLL my 2 strokes use my prescribed mix. BTW, 50/1

It`s not about how perfect the mix is, it`s detecting the problem.

Offline Rip N Lips

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:04 PM »
Pour it in you truck/car and go fishing.

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #24 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:28 PM »
i put the old gas in my truck but if you don't want to do that in fear you might damage something take it to the garage that changes the oil in your car

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:32 PM »
Burn it.  I have 55 gallon burn barrel I fill with brush over the summer.....
I can't wait to light it off again!  That explosion echoed the whole 16 mile
length of the lake!  The coolest little mushroom cloud shot straight up!
The blast just about knocked me down.  That was fantastic!
What?  Sorry.  I can see you mouth moving, but I can't hear a thing you're saying.

MD

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Nov 05, 2009, 07:40 PM »
I also only mix a 1/2 gallon at a time....so it depends on your amount.  I like the brush fire idea...just pour a small amount on the brush/wood your burning and your problem is gone.  Just use caution.  I wouldn't put it in a vehicle..but thats me.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:41 PM »
I would think it would be okay to add to older cars...but with all of the computers in cars today.... is it really worth it?  Over such a small quanitity?  I would rather burn it through the auger periodicaly over the summer...just my thoughts...

Exactly. The mixed gas can be put through older vehicles without O2s and cats no problem and you you can even get away with it in some vehicles newer it kind of depends on the vehicle. Some newer vehicles will throw a CEL by just adding a 12oz. bottle of fuel injector cleaner. Late model vehicles have numerous O2 sensors, several cat conveters and complex ER systems all computer controlled and not designed to have any oils put through them.

Run the gas through the lawn mower, start some fires with it, let it evaporate or stick it it in an older carb equipped vehicle.

Offline connected

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:08 PM »
If it's no more than a gallon, I'll just dump it on the ground behind the shed. After all, that's where it came from.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:13 PM »
If it's no more than a gallon, I'll just dump it on the ground behind the shed. After all, that's where it came from.

No, I wouldn't do that, especially if there are any wells around.  There's a lot more chemicals in gasoline than when it came out of the ground. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.