Author Topic: Feed or not to feed?  (Read 1206 times)

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
Feed or not to feed?
« on: Oct 22, 2009, 09:50 AM »
Do you guys who are collecting your bait feed them on a regular basis?  I realize as it gets colder that they do not need as much if any food, but right now they seem to eat voraciously.  I'm worried because if I feed them, there will be more waste in the tank.  I've got it filtered/aerated properly, but just wondering what some of you guys do?  Thx.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: Feed or not to feed?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 22, 2009, 09:52 AM »
I have been feeding mine but in very small amounts and only once or twice a week. The more you feed, the more your filter needs to be changed and the more water changes need to be done.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2009, 11:47 AM »
I have been feeding mine but in very small amounts and only once or twice a week. The more you feed, the more your filter needs to be changed and the more water changes need to be done.
Roger that, I feed until water temps stay below 40F, just once a week. Feed the shiners flakes and feed the creekchubs pin shiners. I stop feeding them when the temps are below 40f and steady. I have also noticed that shiners are much more lively after a feeding, so I have taken to feeding them the night before I fish . Kinda like a last meal!

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2009, 03:15 AM »
I have been only feeding them once a week so the water doesn't need to be changed every other day. When it starts to cool down a bit more I will stop feeding them. If they get hungry, they will eat the smaller ones in the tank.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2009, 05:34 AM »
When we were able to trap and keep live bait here in NY I kept a large tank in the basement all season.
I never fed them. Clean, cool water and lots of oxygen is all they need.
Some of the bait would last into May walleye season and it remained fresh and lively.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2009, 08:07 PM »
Found some useless slugs in the garden today...just for kicks I took a pair of scissors and cut them into tiny pieces and dropped them in.  They went nuts.  Good way to get rid of slugs!!   ;D 
I've only been feeding them like 2x a week and they seem fine.
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.