Author Topic: Pop-Up TV Antenna?  (Read 6255 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pop-Up TV Antenna?
« on: Oct 19, 2009, 12:19 PM »
I was looking at the Fish House Supply website and came across a $48 Pop-Up TV Antenna.  I was wondering how this would work, here is the web page for it http://www.fishhousesupply.com/satellites.htm, it is the first one on the page.  Does it just pick up some basic channels that are picked up from satilites or do you have to pay for channels or what?  I know much about that kind of stuff and I don't know if it would still work since the switch from analog signals to digital earlier this year.  Any information you could give me I would greatly appreciate because I am kind of in the dark.  Thanks

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
Re: Pop-Up TV Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2009, 06:21 PM »
It will pick up free local over the air TV signals.  If the area you are fishing is remote, don't expect much out of it.  And with everything being digital now, you will either have a clear, crisp picture or none at all.  The days of the snowy picture are gone.

Jeff

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Is there a way to find out if there will be channels or not or is it just a guessing game?  I was planning to use it on a big lake with plenty of houses on it and is about a mile away from a decently sized city probably less.  Do you think I would get like a decent amount or channels or none?
 ???

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 19, 2009, 08:54 PM »
I really don't know the answer to your questions.  We live in Indy, about 5 miles as the crow flies from downtown where the TV Station transmitting antennas are.  When the stations here were dual transmitting in HD and analog, we bought indoor type rabbit ears for the HD signal and it was hit and miss.  Prior to that we were on cable analog.  Maybe someone else who uses an outdoor antenna (not cable or satellite) will chime in soon.

-Jeff

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #4 on: Oct 20, 2009, 12:20 PM »
It will work fine. You will need a TV with a digital tuner or a digital converter box if the TV doesn't have a digital tuner.I don't think digital carries as far as analog signals do and you may have to be within about thirty miles of the tower. Where I live is probably too sparsely populated to pick up many channels.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:06 AM »
I have had the same problem. I switched to a DVD player and watch what I want. No worry about a bad signal. I did see a portable TV in an advertisement that has the converter built in. I also have a converter that is 12V but I don't like the hassle.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I have had the same problem. I switched to a DVD player and watch what I want. No worry about a bad signal. I did see a portable TV in an advertisement that has the converter built in. I also have a converter that is 12V but I don't like the hassle.
I have a 13" TV with a built in DVD player. It is 110v so I have to run my generator to use it, but I am charging my batteries at the same time. I may try a popup antenna, but I think the area where I live may be too rural.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline CanIceCpl

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Greetings from Ottawa, ON. Go Sens Go !
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Last week I bolted the mount for my satelite dish :-) I'll be able to aim it with no problem. 2 12v batteries, inverter, 13" tv and we may use a portable DVD player to get the best of both worlds. The tv played for 8 hours straight no problem on 1 battery.

We plan on using solar to recharge though.

D&T

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 26, 2009, 07:39 PM »
Did your area switch to digital broadcasting? You may need a converter box also if you did.

Offline 1969starcraft

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My 19 foot winter home
« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:15 PM »
Ive got the same antenna on my shack and it works great, i get like 15 digital channels in good with my converter box.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.