Author Topic: Polar Vision Hand Held Digital Sonar???  (Read 2749 times)

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
Polar Vision Hand Held Digital Sonar???
« on: Oct 13, 2009, 05:19 PM »
I was online the other day and saw the Polar Vision hand held Digital Sonar and I was thinking about buying it last year but I wasn't sure about it.  Is it pretty reliable when reading through the ice and can you still do it if there is snow on the ice?  If you could tell me what you think and answer the questions and any additional information you fell I should know would be great.  Thanks

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Polar Vision Hand Held Digital Sonar???
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2009, 07:35 PM »
I have had one for three years or so. I like it but it does not always read through the ice without dumping water on the ice first. If the ice is clear and slightly wet no problem. You could find a drop off or contour without drilling. If it is milky with alot of garbage you will need to wet the ice first. Check out the competition also. I think Vex makes one. It is the yellow model I believe. They are just another tool that could be used to assist in the search for fish holding structure.
Good luck.

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2009, 08:13 PM »
I have had one for three years or so. I like it but it does not always read through the ice without dumping water on the ice first. If the ice is clear and slightly wet no problem. You could find a drop off or contour without drilling. If it is milky with alot of garbage you will need to wet the ice first. Check out the competition also. I think Vex makes one. It is the yellow model I believe. They are just another tool that could be used to assist in the search for fish holding structure.
Good luck.
So the sonar has to be touching the ice and can't read through snow?

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 13, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Yes.  It doesn't work through air, air pockets, milky ice, large air gaps (i.e. you have to get down on your hands and knees and touch the ice with the "flashlight" looking device, and wet the ice perhaps--spit, pee, or dump some water on it). ;)

Check out the Marcum unit LX1.  More Power!  Funky battery. Lasts a long time though.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2009, 09:50 PM »
The polar uses two 9v batteries and lasts me all ice season.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 15, 2009, 09:57 PM »
I have used the Marcum unit for a few years and am real pleased with it. Regardless of unit you need to have as clean of "view" as possible for them to work properly. I carry a small squirt bottle of water with me to clean the surface and it works great.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 16, 2009, 02:28 AM »
I also have the Marcum unit.  It works very well but the you have to put water on the ice and the ice has to be clear.  That's the bad thing, if you have any melted snow that is frozen on the ice.  The unit will not work.  f-n-f

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #7 on: Oct 16, 2009, 12:56 PM »
Batteries are hard to find for the Marcum as well.

JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.