Author Topic: ice reports  (Read 1368 times)

Offline fire-n-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
ice reports
« on: Oct 11, 2009, 09:28 AM »
Where do you find the most accurate, up to date ice reports? I don't have the option of driving too a far off place to find the ice isn't thick enough to fish.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice reports
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2009, 10:47 AM »
I find them on this site under reports and conditions. Our park offices give sketchy reports at best. Ex. Ice thickness 0-6". If you are in doubt, you can try asking ,''anyone been fishing ________  Lake:''

Offline fire-n-ice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2009, 08:02 PM »
Last year the parks office gave me false information. I asked them about two different lakes. The first they told me the ice was too thin to fish. The second they told me there was still open water over 75% of the lake. Because we were so close we went anyways. The first lake had a foot of ice. The second lake had eighteen inches. I don't want to miss ice on because i live too far to check the ice myself.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2009, 11:57 AM »
As I said, the PA park offices and their posted reports on ice thickness are a basic  guide at best. Most guys on this site are good about giving accurate ice reports. Many are in the same boat as you, myself included; usually around two hrs. drive to early ice. If not for other generous members here that do check conditions regularly, I would do far less ice fishing. Another option would be the nearest tackle shop to the lake. Around here they tend to err on the side of caution, but at least:'' there were a few guys on the  Little _______ finger'' is better than nothing.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2009, 09:16 PM »
Last year...I always tried to find a friendly local and grab his cell number.  Cheap, easy, and you might get a report to boot.  So when your loading and unloading, look at the plates and strike up a convo.  Then attach the lake name to the contact info.  Don't rely on the game and parks.  They mean well, but their idea of "safe" ice is normally a little on the side of extreme caution or just plain dated info.  I heard there was "no one really fishing due to variable ice thickness" from the NGPC.  If variable meant 6 to 9 inches..they were right.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.