The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Bait  (Read 1322 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Bait
« on: Sep 23, 2009, 09:34 AM »
Is there anywhere in the state where one could get 5-7 inch sucker or creek chub minnows? I checked at the local places here in gillette and the bait might be 1/4". What a joke.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Bait
« Reply #1 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:09 PM »
Gantenbein's on Ocean Lake. He's listed in the bait dealers in the Info THread.  :tipup:

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2009, 09:41 PM »
Is there anywhere in the state where one could get 5-7 inch sucker or creek chub minnows? I checked at the local places here in gillette and the bait might be 1/4". What a joke.
If you want live suckers or chubs the law says you have to get them in your regen and they can only be used in the area that the permit is for. If you want dead frozen ones check with me later. M.G.

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
Any sucker collectors?
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2009, 12:03 PM »
Curious if any Sheridan-area residents can point me toward a local stream where I could catch and freeze suckers (Tongue River, Goose Creek, any other small creeks that drain the east side of Bighorns)?  I'd like to give it a shot during the next couple of months.
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline minnowguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2009, 01:06 PM »
If your planning on using them at Fort Peck I can get ya all ya can use, but ya gatta take me too ;D ;D

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2009, 12:56 AM »
Hey Minnowguy- 

If you ever want to make a trip to Fort Peck I grew up there. Any questions that you have about that area just P.M. me. I will be going up around new years time.

I have a question for the masses-
Is it legal in Campbell County to spear (dark house spear) for gamefish?  I can't seem to find that in the fishing regs. 

Offline mallardmuncher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2009, 08:23 AM »
It says this in the regs  "It is unlawful to snag fish"  G&F defines Snag in the regs "means attempting to take a fish in a manner that the fish does not take the hook voluntarily in its mouth"  So I guess in a nut shelll it is illegal to spear Northerns in WY.
Fish tremble at the sound of my name

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2009, 01:06 PM »
I did my homework and called the G&F in Sheridan. As strange as this seems it is not legal to darkhouse spear for any type of fish in the state of wyoming. 

It is legal to do the following:

Shoot fish with a speargun-if your entire body is fully submerged in water.
Bow fish for non-gamefish. (carp, shiners, suckers)

Does this seem a little unfair to anyone else?  A guy with a snorkel can shoot fish all day, but it is not allowed to spear a fish on the ice. I guess tip-ups it is then....haha.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.