Author Topic: Question for Polaris Sled Owners  (Read 4375 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Question for Polaris Sled Owners
« on: Sep 13, 2009, 02:35 PM »
I have a 1991 Polaris 500 Indy for ice fishing this winter. I have never owned a Polaris sled before, only Cats and Ski-Doos. This snowmobile sure has allot of hood vents, surely more than I need for a liqid cooled engine. I have noticed that many Polaris owners block these vents off with either an aftermarket plastic piece or window screen.

Do you guys have problems with the hood getting packed full of snow when you ride in heavy powder? I sure see how it could become a problem with all those crazy vents. I will be riding this sled most of the time in fresh powder because I have a very nice ATV to use when the snow is packed or not very deep.

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Question for Polaris Sled Owners
« Reply #1 on: Sep 13, 2009, 03:19 PM »
I have 2 indy's and have never had a problem.

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2009, 09:24 AM »
You can buy screen kits, its a little heavier stuff then window screen. I have a 93 indy fan cooled, I wouldn't want to go without the screens, but more because of all the "junk" like cattails and sticks that would end up under my hood, but when I ride in powder I do clean off the vents when I stop.

You could just tape closed some of the vents, if it starts to over heat its as easy as pulling the tape off

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:51 AM »

You could just tape closed some of the vents, if it starts to over heat its as easy as pulling the tape off
give ya somemore down force    helps getting into the corners
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:59 AM »
Only when I roll it and do a nose dive into a snowbank. ;)

How does she run skip?

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:22 PM »
It hasnt yet. :-\ ::)

My neighbor who has worked on these things for years told me to bring it down to him and let him set the carbs and the oil pump. He says it is best handled by a professional. ;D

I have not hauled it down to him yet. I am having a hard time getting motivated on the snowmobile with the temp still in the 80's. I will get it down there in the next couple weeks. If I wait too long, he will get busy.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:36 PM »
the powder is good to keep things cooler even with a liquid cooled sled...a screen kit would be your best bet to keep stuff out...you can get one on ebay pretty cheap...and dont forget what polaris stands for..."pull off lake and repair in spring

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2009, 07:41 PM »
I think your little saying is pretty accurate in this case!

I bought this thing with a burned down engine for scrap price. It has never run while I have owned it! She has a .20 over bore, and a new gasket set now. ;D I am a Ski-Doo-Ski guy myself, we will see how the polar ass treats me....

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2009, 10:05 AM »
the powder is good to keep things cooler even with a liquid cooled sled...a screen kit would be your best bet to keep stuff out...you can get one on ebay pretty cheap...and dont forget what polaris stands for..."pull off lake and repair in spring

That funny :laugh: :laugh: ;D :-\ >:(

I try not to ride with guys who drive Arctic cats, its just not much fun riding while towing an arctic cat, I've had two skidoos before my polaris, I like my polaris way more

Offline Cool Blue

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Winter Time, Good times!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 23, 2009, 11:50 AM »
Don't block the vents. The older models didn't have screen kits. You can put some in though. Polaris are a good sled. me and my friends have never had no major problems with them. My 1996 Indy ultra has them in the pic and my friends older ones don,t. Only problem I had with mine was one of the oil lines stripped out and popped off while driving. Most polaris have a shut off mechanism when not getting oil.(good thing). They tend to strip easy when taken off alot. Make sure they all tighten if not I fixed mine with a heli coil thread kit.

Offline brokenline

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • old nuf to know better, young nuff to do it twice!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 23, 2009, 10:06 PM »
pull off lake and repair in spring. haha love it! have yet to tow an arctic cat. pulled a few yammes, polaris and skidos home but never a cat. hummmm =)

Offline Bearsfan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2009, 02:01 PM »
Don't block the vents. The older models didn't have screen kits. You can put some in though. Polaris are a good sled. me and my friends have never had no major problems with them. My 1996 Indy ultra has them in the pic and my friends older ones don,t. Only problem I had with mine was one of the oil lines stripped out and popped off while driving. Most polaris have a shut off mechanism when not getting oil.(good thing). They tend to strip easy when taken off alot. Make sure they all tighten if not I fixed mine with a heli coil thread kit.

I have a 96 ultra that i need to start mixing my own gas, it smokes like nothing other. Would you happen to know the ratio? That's not the only problem, the track axle popped out of the bearing and can't figure out for the life of me how to get it back in.

(Image removed from quote.)

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 13, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I have a 85 indy 400 I got a hold of an old semitruck air filter and cut the screen off and painted it then popriveted it to the inside of my hood I painted it the same red as the track runners

Offline Traxion

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:45 AM »
Screen kit is all you need.  I've ridden so much in snow over the hood deep, all you can see is ski tips most of the day, and had no issues at all!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.