Author Topic: Frustrated Minnow Hunter  (Read 10121 times)

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
Frustrated Minnow Hunter
« on: May 29, 2009, 09:32 AM »
 Have tried rivers, streams, lakes and ponds, knowing full well that Hunting/Trapping Golden shiners(preferred) or other legal bait minnows is a matter of LOCATION-LOCATION-LOCATION. I`ve tried all if not most of the local ponds/rivers and had no luck. I`m using bread , cylume stiks(lite), small cans of cat food with holes punched in em, and a mesh sack full of dried dog food. I have tried the Lamprey to no avail. Only luck I have had was in a shallow swampy pond , I caught 5 sunnies around 2 inches long. Nuttin u could legally use for bait ! So if any of you local guys could help me out by pointing me to a good location that pans out, there`s a case of yer favorite beer in it for ya. You can PM me ifya don`t want everyone hauling bait outta yer honey-hole, and I`ll promise not to share any info. (most of my buds are far to lazy to trap bait anywayz,)they`d just buy it. I`m lookin at it as a hobby/ extension of hardwater season and a way to lower/cut bait costs, (and sneak away from mowing the lawn etc).
FREE CASE OF BREW for " GOOD " shiner trappin spot

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: Frustrated Minnow Hunter
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:53 PM »
It's my undarstanding that the minnows become scarce during the warmer months. I have a couple of traps out and nothing so far. I am in Mass. though.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2009, 10:09 AM »
 I realize this is not the best time for large hauls of minnows, but I feel I should be getting some, at least enuff to validate the spot for fall trapping. I know there is a large minnow die off when the water temps drop rapidly, but there has to be holdovers in each place they exist in order to proliferate the species. So we should be gettin at least a couple of minnows/shiners as long as they exist in that area.   I have kept bait shop shiners alive since early March in my converted slop sink bait tank , so I feel that I`m pretty much allset  in that area, just need to increase aeration by switching to a pond pump and use more filtration once I start catching some bait. JUST GUTTA FIND SUM! I will say that I think the best chance for shiners is by trapping ponds, not rivers/streams , but watta I know, I can`t seem to get any bait in my traps!

FREE CASE OF BREW 4 A SHINER SPOT THAT PANS OUT!

* Keep me updated with yer trapping on this thread FishingNewEngland and I`ll do the same.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2009, 07:31 AM »
I realize this is not the best time for large hauls of minnows, but I feel I should be getting some, at least enuff to validate the spot for fall trapping. I know there is a large minnow die off when the water temps drop rapidly, but there has to be holdovers in each place they exist in order to proliferate the species. So we should be gettin at least a couple of minnows/shiners as long as they exist in that area. I am prospecting now, lookin for that one or two places that will become consistent enuff to supply me with bait for the season. Don`t wanna load up now, just find the critters so I can fill the bait tank in the shed for winter this fall. I have kept bait shop shiners alive since early March in my converted slop sink bait tank , so I feel that I`m pretty much allset  in that area, just need to increase aeration by switching to a pond pump and use more filtration once I start filling it with bait. JUST GUTTA FIND SUM! I will say that I think the best chance for shiners is by trapping ponds, not rivers/streams , but watta I know, I can`t seem to get any bait in my traps!

FREE CASE OF BREW 4 A SHINER SPOT THAT PANS OUT!

* Keep me updated with yer trapping on this thread FishingNewEngland and I`ll do the same.
i know the feeling with the bait, i can:t find any either. i tried ponds, streams, riversand some lakes and have had zero luck. i did get 2 baby bluegillsyesterday but nothing else.
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2009, 03:54 PM »
what kind of traps are you guys using?
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2009, 04:24 PM »
 I`m using 3 wire mesh 2part traps, 1" hole either end. 16.5" long , 1 Frabill vinyl coated wire mesh trap same size and design as the previous 2.  In NH we can use 6 traps 17" long /1" holes. I also made up 3, 2liter bottle traps that I`ll toss in a spot if I`m worried about trap pirates. I made em longer than the ones you`ll find ifya do an internet image search, Utoob has a buncha vids on how to make em. Thread starter post has the baits I`ve tried. Workin on a house adjacent to a private farm pond, woman says nuttin in der, but she let me toss the traps in if I promised to show her kids what I caught, so basically, I`m trying anywhere I can.  I have been doing at least overnight soaks, I`m gonna try 3 days this time and see if that`ll work.

CASE A BREW FOR A HOT SHINER/MINNOW SPOT!!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2009, 08:02 PM »
what kind of traps are you guys using?
lately i have been using the 2 piece metal with the holes on the sides of the trap.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jun 02, 2009, 02:02 PM »
 SIDE NOTE: just picked up another mesh wire trap at RITE-AID for $4.99! If they had had more, I woulda bought em out at that price. I paid $8.99-$9.99 for the other ones I own. Gonna pull sum traps tommorrow or the day after , so I`ll post if  I have had any luck.

BEER FOR BAIT!! AIN`T DAT GREAT!!!

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jun 02, 2009, 05:28 PM »
rite-aid has a fishing isle??

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jun 02, 2009, 07:57 PM »
rite-aid has a fishing isle??
Not around here they don't...  But sounds like he got a great deal on some minnow traps..

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jun 02, 2009, 08:41 PM »
We have a campground in town, pretty big, and all the area businesses take advantage ot if. Local supermarket meat prices vault when campin/grillin season is upon us. Local Rite Aid has a selection of fishing kits, flyrod complete ,bassin complete etc. other gear , even has a small camping section next to it. Was strange , but at $4.99 , I`m in! Fishing Pharmacist , I guess.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #11 on: Jun 03, 2009, 07:32 AM »
SIDE NOTE: just picked up another mesh wire trap at RITE-AID for $4.99! If they had had more, I woulda bought em out at that price. I paid $8.99-$9.99 for the other ones I own. Gonna pull sum traps tommorrow or the day after , so I`ll post if  I have had any luck.

BEER FOR BAIT!! AIN`T DAT GREAT!!!
thats an awesome deal, i would of cleaned them out myself. mine cost $12.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2009, 04:25 PM »
 Pulled my traps from the farm pond and caught 10 Crayfish , 7-8 Sunnies a couple of huge bullfrog tadpoles(which the crayfish feasted on) and 1 Golden Shiner. At least there are Goldens in the pond , so I rebaited and threw em back in. I have been told that soakin the traps for more than 24 hours is not needed and probably even counterproductive. May allow more crayfish (if they r present) to pile in the trap and chow on yer bait. So 24 hours and keep on searching for that killer minnow spot! I was using cylume stiks bread and Senior Dog Chow( my rott is 10 now!). Keep ya posted as the search continues!

Beer 4 Trapping spot in Southern NH(goldens Prefered!)

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2009, 04:52 PM »
love the posts.....i am going to trap for the girst time this yr.....also wanna trap suckers....but will focus on shiners......keep us posted!!

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jun 08, 2009, 05:32 AM »
WOW!!  You finally struck them.  Congrats

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jun 08, 2009, 07:59 PM »
Now thats great.  Able to trap that many.  Fishing  Luck  VS Skill.        What 90% to 10%.   I would like to think that is the average.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #16 on: Jun 09, 2009, 08:14 AM »
i haven:t had any luck yet but the key is to move around until you find them.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jun 09, 2009, 04:39 PM »
you say keep moving..keep looking.....what are the key elements should i be looking for?....moving water?...standing water?......will be building 1 trap this weekend, and trying it out in a spot ive been looking at on the drive home everyday from work.....hopefully i can leave good posts like das.......later

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jun 09, 2009, 06:52 PM »
I`m catching Golden Shiners, people call em Redfins too , cuz thier pec fins are red. This pond has dark water, can`t see bottom in 3 ft, probably 6 feet deep or so in sum spots. Doesn`t seem to be any water flow, but it could be being fed by a spring which is under water. I have been given advice by experianced minnow trappers, which has helped, but the main thing is , if you  pull a trap and don`t  see at least 8-12 minnows , you are in the wrong spot. They also advised against wasting time by soaking a trap for more than 24 hours. Ifya gut nuthin  in 24hr , 48hrs ain`t gonna be a good use of your time. Pull yer traps and move on. NH lets ya use 6 traps 17" long -1" holes( yer typical store bought wire mesh minnow trap), so take advantage and deploy 6 traps in 6 different spots and move them after a 24 hr soak. I use tennis ball mesh bags cut into smaller bags. I then use a plastic wire tie (I prefer natural colors like green or black)to close up the bag. Fill up with dry dog food so the bag is about the size of a tennis ball. I like to soak the bags before I deploy the traps, so the dog food will soak up sum water and expand. Then just b4 I toss the trap in , I squeeze the bag so the dog food squishes thru the mesh. Then when the trap hits the water , a plume of dog food disperses around the trap. When I pull my traps , the mesh bags are empty if the minnows have found thier way to it. It has been suggested that I focus my time in inlet streams which feed ponds and lakes, with a water depth in spots of 5-6 ft, with a moderate water flow. I can tell ya , I have tried everywhere, and that you should do the same. One thing you`re looking for is a lack of predators, so the minnow population can expand. Another is water depth to allow the population enough o2 to make it thru the winter. Other factors like inaccessability help as well.
Streams , farm ponds , town fire ponds , anywhere ya can legally ,without incrouching upon others is a viable place to try. When I offered a case of beer for a good spot, I knew no one was gonna give up thier spot to a stranger, I just figured it would get sum conversation going on the subject!

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jun 12, 2009, 03:10 PM »
 Have lost a few minnows a day until I upped the aeration with a 360gph submersible pump and a sprayer bar, need to change out 5 gals or so every few days to keep ammonia levels down. Have not fed them .  If me and my fishing partners run out, I`ll drill 2 holes and chainsaw the gap between em to sink a trap. I am no longer looking for spots because I`m moving soon and I am consumed with that. I accumulated so much trash/ junk in the last eleven years. The fire out back has been burning for 3 days!
Looking to set up a 55gallon plastic drum on its side in the shed and use a 35gallon cleanwater tank from a 20ft camper I scrapped on top of it ,waterfalling in to larger tank to aerate it. Gotta few ideas for a canister type pond filter made from pvc pipe with easy access to change filter media. Also snagged the water pump(which is brand new) and check valve parts from camper water system. May go with a koi pond pump after I try it , I`m thinkin it may draw too much power to run constantly, may consider water pump timer. I`ll be back to prospecting new spots as soon as I`m done with the move and the new tank build.

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jun 12, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Sounds like a good set up.. The filter idea sounds ok.  Any filtration will help as well as pumping water from the bottom of the tank.. The sapray bar increasing oxygen is definitely going to help.   Once again congrats on the success.  Wish it was ok to trap and use bait where ever we wish in NY.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jun 13, 2009, 09:28 PM »
Thanks , I`ll be posting sum pics , althou it will take me sum time ,because I`m moving and between houses now, no internet at new place yet. Will post up sum pics of tanks etc when I get it built. Looked into submersible pond pump at Lowes today, I`m thinkin a 360gph will be good for the roughly 65 to 70 gallons of water I`ll moving. Cost-$45. Gutta pump uphill approx. 3 ft so I`ll lose sum gph , but it`ll still run the 2 tanks thru the filter like, 123 to 132 times a day at full blast. I built a filter outta 2 ft of 4" Pvc. Stuck an end cap on one end, drilled a hole in its center and screwed in a nipple end to mount hose on. In the other end I glued a waste end with a removal screw in plug. Screwed another nipple end just below that for exit to spray bar. I`ll stuff roof vent material(cobra vent) and activated charcoal in it and screw plug in . Filter cost me roughly $20 with filter media. The only chemical I plan to use is the Bait well Treatment for stress/ slime coat ext. I found sum at Suds n Soda in Greenland NH for $15.

Offline fishman31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jun 14, 2009, 08:45 AM »
That is a great design.   Your filter design is very clever and well thought out.  I am impressed.  I look forward to hearing how it works out.  Do you have any fish culture background? 

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jun 14, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Ty again Fishman31, I have sum experiance runnin large fish tanks, I have kept Oscars, Snakeheads etc. No schoolin thou, strictly a DIY guy.This is my first time using submersible pumps instead of cascading ones like Aquaclear etc. Gutta hide my filter when I move , thing looks like an Improvised Explosive Device! Lotta information on this site- do a search "bait tanks" and you will see sum well built designs . Same thing ifya need ideas for yer shanty, sled , whatever. This site is a wealth of Do-it-yerself knowledge!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #24 on: Jun 14, 2009, 10:38 AM »
i agree on the submersibles. i have one in use right now.wasn:t sure what it was exactly until i got home and read about it. the thing is scary looking and it does look like an explosive devise. i wasn:t gonna put it under water because it didn:t make sense to me and didn:t want to get shocked. but it does work quite well! 
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Jun 14, 2009, 01:59 PM »
i agree on the submersibles. i have one in use right now.wasn:t sure what it was exactly until i got home and read about it. the thing is scary looking and it does look like an explosive devise. i wasn:t gonna put it under water because it didn:t make sense to me and didn:t want to get shocked. but it does work quite well! 

Pond pump? Right now I`m running a portable bilge/aerator with a sponge filter-360gph (submersible) but will be switching to a submersible koi pond/home pond pump on the new setup.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #26 on: Jun 14, 2009, 07:59 PM »
thats pretty sweet dasrottwieler!
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline Fish Farmer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jun 14, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Another good minnow spot to try in the winter...golf course ponds. Generally shallow and weedy, small and easy to trap.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #28 on: Jun 15, 2009, 08:26 AM »
Most of the shiners will be on the move now, I think the spawns have been completed, most of the time they look for a quits place to lay or in the grasses areas.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #29 on: Jun 15, 2009, 01:16 PM »
Good question, I will have to check it out, I have had a key for the past 20 years and never did any hardwater fishing there. I will do some home work on it and if you hear get back to me.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.