The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flaming Gorge in Trouble???????  (Read 1800 times)

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
Flaming Gorge in Trouble???????
« on: Apr 01, 2009, 09:37 AM »
Just received this email-

To all concerned with Flaming Gorge!

I was hoping this project had lost momentum, but it looks like it is still alive and well. This will be the final disaster for Flaming Gorge if it goes through. It has the objective of taking up to 400 million acre feet of water out of the Gorge every year which will effectively end the kokanee fishery that we currently enjoy. Buckboard Marina could become a mud flat. Unfortunately this group has LOTS of money and friends in high places. It really makes me sick to see this project raise it's ugly head again. If we don't come out in force to oppose this, we have no one to blame but ourselves if all of our water goes to Colorado to water their lawns, golf courses and fill their swimming  pools. Please get everyone you know to attend this meeting and voice our concerns. This is probably the one most important threat to our way of life here in Sweetwater County that we have ever faced to date.

Ron Carey

There is a meeting on April 14th at the Green River High School starting at 6:30 PM. Please pass this along to anyone who values and or uses Flaming Gorge Reservoir or the Green River.

>>> "Wendy Kraft" <[email protected]> 3/31/2009 12:01 PM >>>

The Million Conservation Resource Group is still pursuing construction of the Regional Watershed Supply Project. The Project would involve water withdrawal from the Green River and Flaming Gorge Reservoir using intake facilities at two points of diversion and take the water to Pueblo, Colorado. A Public Hearing on the project will be held here in Green River on April 14th, from 6:30 pm to 9 pm, at the Green River High School. Please plan on attending and providing comment if the format allows. I was not able to find the EIS on line but as soon as I do I will send it out to you all.

Janet L. Hartford

Executive Director

Green River Chamber of Commerce

1155 W. Flaming Gorge Way

Green River, WY 82935

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Need larger flamethrower, you will...!"
Re: Flaming Gorge in Trouble???????
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2009, 10:28 AM »
WI, I tried to locate this site, but can't seem to find it. If you can PM me with the basic site, I can track down the info and place a click-on URL. Good luck at the meeting !  Don              LT/IS/Moderator

Offline er-e-is

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Here is a link to the article in the Casper Paper today. It says 250,000 acre feet, regardless we need to get this shut down. I have thought for years that this country should build a series of pipelines from areas that have flooding year after year (Ex. The Red River, Mississippi River) and pump this water to Storage Reservoirs, and then distributed to drought stricken areas as needed. This would help people on both ends of the pipeline.

]http://www.trib.com/articles/2009/04/01/news/wyoming/789eb916cc87af4b8725758b00012b6f.txt]

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Here ya go. I posted it on the MHF also, this goes through, hunting will be sorely impacted...lack of water.  ???

http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2009/04/01/news/wyoming/789eb916cc87af4b8725758b00012b6f.txt

Ya Mod  :tipup:

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2009, 02:11 PM »
Thanks LT & er-e-is!!

Offline LT

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2009, 02:28 PM »
I have thought for years that this country should build a series of pipelines from areas that have flooding year after year (Ex. The Red River, Mississippi River) and pump this water to Storage Reservoirs, and then distributed to drought stricken areas as needed. This would help people on both ends of the pipeline.
Hmmmm, that idea makes perfect and practical sense. I'm not certain our govt is into that which is practical and sensible these days though. You could put it on "www.White House.org" and see what happens Joe?  :embarassed: Don IS Mod

Offline WYOICER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Wanna Ice Fish Baby
« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2009, 03:48 PM »
They should have used some of the stimulus package money for that!!!!

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2009, 07:33 AM »
It seems a shame that Colorado can't take care of there own water needs, especially with the amount of snow they get in there high country. I recently heard that the front range south of Denver could be in a bind with the same issue, because of the influx of people they feel some in that area might not even have drinking water. I believe in the future water will be huge concern, and selling what we got is not a good idea for Wyoming. Just like the stimulus package just a band aide for the inevitable.

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2009, 02:35 PM »
is anybody goin to the meeting in G.R. ?

Offline moski

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2009, 11:01 AM »
well we had a good turn out for the proposed water line from the flaming gorge to colorado. i wasn't surprised how many people turned out for it and i was very proud of the community for there strong verbal comments. to be honest i was mostly concerned about the fishery of the green river and the gorge but alot of people brought my attention to the other major impacts this will do to our community of western wyoming, like the revanew we will lose from tourism and the money our towns have put into projects that deal with our water. from what i gathered mr. million (the master mind behind the pipeline) hasn't quite looked into the major impacts this will do to our state like he claims he has, cause who in there right mind would take away apart of life to help another. yes i understand the water issue on the front range of colorado but i believe they are other solutions to there problems than bringing us into it and creating more, cause honestly we have our own problems with water as it is. yes i am strongly against this but i do hope colorado can come up with a solution to there water issues that doesn't effect other communities an ways of life.
                                                                                             moski

Offline MountainMan

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Fish Painter
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2009, 05:50 PM »
Hey Moski, glad to hear they had a good turnout!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.