Author Topic: Ice Rod Storage?  (Read 19910 times)

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
Ice Rod Storage?
« on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:08 AM »
How do you solve the problem about storing your ice fishing rods.  I've broken too many of them over the years.  I installed rod tubes in my sled, but haven't devised a system yet for my fish trap.  I might do something similar.  Here's a pic of what I did in case you haven't seen the sled thread yet.

The rod tubes work pretty well except that you have to disassemble your rig each time.  If you load the rods into the tubes rigged, then the rod tips bend and break as a result of pressure on the line.  Also, tandem rigs pose a difficult problem with storage (like a tightline rig).  I'm thinking about the gun case idea but don't want to put a lot of money into it…

So, how do you store your rods rigged (for transport to and from the ice) so that they don't tangle, don’t get broken, and you have relatively easy access?

Any suggestions?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Rod Storage?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2004, 07:57 AM »
Fat Boy,

I don't have a Fish Trap, but maybe you can try rigging something up with an "MTM Arrow-Plus Box", which are available at Cabela's for $17-$20.

These are hard-sided arrow cases that range in size between 31"-37" long, with foam dividers for separating and protecting arrows.  The larger version even has a few small storage compartments.

Maybe one of these can be attached to your Fish Trap's sled in some manner.  Just a thought.

ice fishing fool

« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:37 AM »
Kevin,

Why do your rods break when there are in the tube, it seems that if there are secure and don't move back and forth in the tube it would prevent the tips from coming in contact in anything?  Cool idea with your sled, I like the rod holders on the back of the box and I'm going to make one (sled)  this summer, one you can sit on and I'm thinking about making a metal tray to attach to the front and hold my sonar in place with a bunge cord.

Bottom bouncer

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:40 AM »
old lady got me one of those soft sided, zippered, ice rod holders for Christmas . Says it's f/ 6 rods , has 3 zippered pockets, I put 2 in the middle and one on each side. It has 1/2 foam or padding sewn inside outer pockets to help protect stuff inside. Probably wouldn't save them if you dropped your auger on them but keeps them f/ getting tangled. I think she got it at a Scheels store. Stores rods with reels and tackle ready to fish . Nice case to have. Thanks wife & Santa.

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2004, 08:53 AM »
5 gallon bucket, works great. Never broke a rod and i've been hard water fishing a long time.

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2004, 09:14 AM »
I use a arrow case i got at Dick's on clearance $5  I have 3 of them they hold 4 rods each. I hot glued velcro in to hold the rod handles the blankes are held in place by the foam in the arrow case. The only catch is you must unscrew the handle on your spinning rods enough so they will fold down, or the case won't close, not a big deal. This system works great, is low cost!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2004, 10:57 AM »
Slipbob,

I rigged up a rod holder for use on my Jet Sled Jr.  I used a sturdy rectangular plastic "basket" - something like a milk crate, only smaller.  I attached six cut pieces of PVC pipe inside the basket by fishing zip-ties through the holes in the basket and wrapping them around each piece of PVC.

I attached this basket to the outside at the back of the sled with bolts and wing-nuts, although I needed to add a small 3/4" piece of plywood to compensate for the "lip" around the top of the sled.

The six pre-rigged rods are right there with easy access, and they don't take up any space inside the sled.  Plus, I can carry a few small odds and ends inside the basket that might otherwise get lost in the bottom of one of my buckets.  This rig offers little protection for the rods, but once I have the sled on the ice, I don't really need any.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2004, 11:06 AM »
I have a bunch of these tubes that are made for ice rods. You hook the lure to your lure keeper or to a rod eye. Then you put slack in the line and slip the rod in. The rod goes in all the way to the reel foot. You put just enough slack in the line so that the lure stays put. Then there is a boot that goes over the rod butt. The boot is adjustable in length.

Then you can stick a bunch of those tubes in a five gallon pail with the reel end sticking out. They stay tangle free and the rods are protected.

I have only had a couple of problems with them. If you get a bunch of rods in a bucket, with the reels sticking out the top, the bucket tends to get top heavy and tippy. WIth the line rubbing on the top of the tube you need to watch and check the line for abrasion and possibly retie.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2004, 01:41 PM »
Kevin,

Why do your rods break when there are in the tube, it seems that if there are secure and don't move back and forth in the tube it would prevent the tips from coming in contact in anything?  Cool idea with your sled, I like the rod holders on the back of the box and I'm going to make one (sled)  this summer, one you can sit on and I'm thinking about making a metal tray to attach to the front and hold my sonar in place with a bunge cord.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Tennessee, what happens when you stick a rigged rod into the tube, the line catches at the base of the tube where the reel enters the tube, pulling the line tight.  If the lure hangs up on a guide or is attached to a guide (or lure holder), the line tightens up, the rod tip bends inside the tube and if there isn't any slack, it snaps…

The box from my sled is sold at WalMart, very heavy duty and you can sit on it too.  It held my fat butt when it was 65 pounds heavier!

I like the arrow case idea, and that it's portable too.  I might be off to check out Dick's to see if they have them on sale...
Kevin Wilson

acsacmboy

« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2004, 02:31 PM »
i use a beckman fishing rod bag. holds about 4-5 36 inch or less rods. it has 2 pouches that keep a bunch of our tackle. think it was 19.99 at gander mnt.

Offline Luckydog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2004, 02:37 PM »
Fat Boy --

I mounted a "three rod" holder to the back of my trap seat.  I'll take a picture and try to post it.

Luckydog

Offline kingfshr16

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2004, 02:42 PM »
I cut 4 pvc pipes and attached them to the back of my sled i built...ill take some pics and post them. Never had one fall out even behind the 4 wheeler and they are easy to grab.
Jason

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2004, 04:13 PM »
I use one of the soft padded zippered cases as well, but stuck lengths of pvc up into the sleaves just in case. 8)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2004, 09:34 AM »
[quote
Thanks for the input everyone.
Tennessee, what happens when you stick a rigged rod into the tube, the line catches at the base of the tube where the reel enters the tube, pulling the line tight.  If the lure hangs up on a guide or is attached to a guide (or lure holder), the line tightens up, the rod tip bends inside the tube and if there isn't any slack, it snaps…

With the tubes I have (I forget the manufacturer. it is a local guy. They are sold at Gander Mountain) you have to leave slack because the boot goes around the but and pulls the reel foot against the top of the tube. I have never had the problem you describe.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2004, 05:32 PM »
With the tubes I have (I forget the manufacturer. it is a local guy. They are sold at Gander Mountain) you have to leave slack because the boot goes around the but and pulls the reel foot against the top of the tube. I have never had the problem you describe.

I didn't have any problem the first few times that I loaded the combos in them.  But, one day I noticed a broken tip.  Not knowing why or how it happened, I thought that the rod had just slipped out of the tube and was pinched by something, or perhaps I had broken it while either loading it into the tube or something else.  I continued on until I noticed another broken rod so I inspected everything as is (like a crime scene) and that's when I noticed it.  It would happen to you if you didn't leave enough slack.  That is exactly what I had to do from that point forward if I wanted to leave the rods rigged.  However, I had problems with the lures and line coming loose and making it difficult to remove them from the tube (because they are fixed to the lid).  So, I simply started cutting the lures off every time I left the ice.

It just occurred to me that maybe it would be good to install brackets for the tubes and make the tubes removable...

...hmmm... ideas abound!

To leave them rigged without slack (tight) I was thinking about cutting a slot all the way down the rod and use some sort of locking type mechanism to wrap around the rod once it's inserted and then under the line... (PVC pipe inside PVC pipe maybe).... That is an option.  The only thing is that if anything puts pressure on the line coming out of the reel, it could put tension on the tip.  So, I'd have to make sure that the line was out of the way somehow, maybe install something like a splash panel or build the system into a box.
Kevin Wilson

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2004, 06:15 PM »
5 gallon bucket, works great. Never broke a rod and i've been hard water fishing a long time.
X2, but I haven't been ice fishing all that long.

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2004, 10:24 PM »
Solved the problem.  Icefishnfool turned me on to them, the window sill flower box plant holder things that are about 30" long.  My rod and reel combos fit in there perfectly and don't move, don't tangle.  I can fit 2 rods each, and can actually cram 3 in one (but risk some tangling).  2 of them also fit perfectly on one side of my Fish Trap Pro, so much so that the lips of the plastic on the plastic boxes sit on top of the Fish Trap Sled. leaving an inch or slightly more of space underneath.  Also, he rigged PVC pipe rod holders on the unused holes of the brackets, and I did the same.  Now, have a place to hold my rods while packing and while fishing.

Works great.  Next up, stick on heavy duty velcro to hold boxes on place on the other side...
Kevin Wilson

Offline pot-belly-perch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 29, 2004, 02:36 AM »
 mad river told me & my buddy  he makes  or gets  icerod   tubes   contac mad river   carl
 :'( :'( :'( :'( oh no  I gotta get fishing   fish-on 8)
smile it makes others wonder what your up to

Ye Old Big Hammer   you use the rite tool for the rite job   when in dout ye old big hammer

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #18 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:35 AM »
I use 4" PVC Rain gutter cut to the length of my shack and bolted one on the side and one in the front right under my seat.  I can get 2 poles in each one by putting the reels on opposite ends.  I put some Styrofoam on each end so it will hold the poles in position so that they wont slide and hit on the tips.   I will take a picture ASAP and add it to the post.

Offline Indiana_Lou

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 10, 2007, 09:59 AM »
Just another idea for a rod holder/saver. I've used the plastic tubes they sell for separating golf clubs in your golf bag. They're not as heavy as schedule 40 or s&d type pipe. I cut a small notch so the reel seat can slide past the end of the pipe. It's light weight and keeps all the rods with hooks from getting tangled. And they only cost about $.64 each at "Wally World."  Lou

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 10, 2007, 10:03 AM »
I use 4" PVC Rain gutter cut to the length of my shack and bolted one on the side and one in the front right under my seat.  I can get 2 poles in each one by putting the reels on opposite ends.  I put some Styrofoam on each end so it will hold the poles in position so that they wont slide and hit on the tips.   I will take a picture ASAP and add it to the post.

Ditto
1 length in back and 1 along each side

Offline masp11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Dec 11, 2007, 06:36 AM »
Just another idea for a rod holder/saver. I've used the plastic tubes they sell for separating golf clubs in your golf bag. They're not as heavy as schedule 40 or s&d type pipe. I cut a small notch so the reel seat can slide past the end of the pipe. It's light weight and keeps all the rods with hooks from getting tangled. And they only cost about $.64 each at "Wally World."  Lou
  The Golf club tubes work great , and are cheep . I put them in the rod bag ( from gander ) keeps tips from getting broken and no tangles. I have been using for about 10 years.

Offline walleyewacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11, 2007, 02:22 PM »
otter outdoors makes a nice hard sided rod case, kind of pricey but have quite a few thorne brothers rods so the investment is worth it.  runs about 70 dollars

Offline icontact

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2007, 01:26 PM »

I gotta chubby

Offline Drift Dodger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2007, 06:54 PM »
I've applied the golf club tube-type solution to most of my 'basic' ice fishing rods. I fish lots of shallow lakes, so seldom use a spinning rod / reel combo. The velcro strap is cable-tied to the tube, and I wrap it around the reel back over to itself. This solution totally eliminates tangle!

Garmin EchoMAP Plus 95sv, Garmin EchoMAP CHIRP 53dv, Garmin GT8HW-IF, Garmin GT10HN-IF, DeWalt DCD999B, K-Drill 7.5"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.