Author Topic: Do any of you guys use rattles?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline venom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • On Ah Fish "N" Mission
Do any of you guys use rattles?
« on: Mar 03, 2009, 07:51 AM »
  I was just wondering if anybody used  rattles on there tube jigs ever or other baits for fishing trout?

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Do any of you guys use rattles?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 03, 2009, 03:46 PM »
Not yet.  It's difficult to say if they would be more effective for brook trout in my area.  Here, brook trout are like perch elsewhere.  The limit is 20 brook trout of any size.  They always bite and if they are not biting it's usually because they are feeding elsewhere or are very orientated towards one bait....usually nymphs and flies in my area or smelt that are sometimes found in the lakes close to the Saguenay river.  The Saguenay is full of smelt and about 10,000 years ago, the water levels were very much higher.  Since then, the smelt have become landlocked in some of the lakes.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #2 on: Mar 04, 2009, 12:37 AM »
I have tried without success.

The lakes I fish are extremely clear, so I tend to use baits with more flash than sound.

I think that in stained water, the rattles would work fine.   

A friend of mine loves to use the small "buckshot" rattle spoons for trout and seems to do ok.

Wiener

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2009, 04:08 PM »
I've caught a couple rainbows lately while targeting perch on buckshot spoons. Seems to draw em in out of curiosity alot, with the occasional aggressive one drilling it.

Offline splakeshaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Someday...She'll understand.
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2009, 09:55 AM »
I have tried without success.

The lakes I fish are extremely clear, so I tend to use baits with more flash than sound.

I think that in stained water, the rattles would work fine.   

A friend of mine loves to use the small "buckshot" rattle spoons for trout and seems to do ok.

Wiener

Buckshots are my go-to lures for open water. I just troll them about 40 yards behind the canoe and have great success with them. Great for shore casting also. Silver or gold work best for me. I have used them ice fishing too but have done better with them in open water. 
If it wasn't for trout fishin', my wife would have a husband.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.