Author Topic: Dachshunds, What are they good for?  (Read 10973 times)

Offline Genxer

• IceShanty Rookie
Dachshunds, What are they good for?
« on: Feb 21, 2009, 06:36 AM »
It all started last Sunday when a buddy of mine (Bob) and I planned an ice fishing trip out to Annabessicook Lake. When I arrived at Bobs house to pick him up, I stepped out of the truck right into a pile of dog sh&%$t. Now, I'm not a dog hater or anything like that, but I was ready to kill that dog right from the onset. Bobs dog is a Dachshund named Buck. 4 inch high legs, real fat around the middle, hyper, dumb, and stinks. After I got the poop off my shoe I went into Bobs house to get him. To my dismay, Bob insisted that we bring Buck fishing with us. He said Buck needed some fresh air and exercise (no kidding). After a minute or two of debate I gave in, so we put Bucks red, white, and blue sweater on and headed out to the lake.

Now at the lake, we discover that Buck cannot walk thought the approx. 12" of snow, so Bob has to carry Buck the entire 1 mile trip to the fishing spot. That in turn means I have to carry the additional equipment that Bob was originally supposed to carry (Ice traps, Bait bucket, Gas Auger, Ice tent, etc.), so by the time we arrive I'm ready to dump Buck right down the first Ice hole.

Well the next hour or so goes pretty much as expected. We drill the holes with the power auger as Buck barks nonstop at the noise. Then we attempt to set our ice traps as Buck tries to chew on them. At least he only knocked over the bait bucket once.

The second hour goes a little better as Bob discovers that he can tie Buck up using the Auger (drilled approx 12" down and left in the ice) as a post for his 10' leash.  Buck is still doing his share of barking, but at least he's not continuously tipping up our traps.

After a few more hours of not getting a bite we are getting a little bored, so I tell Bob that maybee we should drill some more holes in another location. Next, Bob goes over to the Auger which is now frozen in the ice and starts it in an attempt to power the auger out of the hole. Well, the blade stays stuck in the ice, Bob looses his grip, and the next thing you know the powerhead of the auger is Spinning around at 150 RPM,s with Buck attached to the other end. Bob, now in panic mode, tries to grab Buck while the auger is spinning him around. After a few tense moments (spins), Buck slips his collar and is thrown approx 20' across the lake.

When I finally stopped laughing, we packed up our gear and went home. Needless to say, that is the last time Bucks going ice fishing.

Tight lines, Scott

BTW - No animals were hurt or maimed during the fabrication of this story.

Offline Buck762

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too!
Re: Dachshunds, What are they good for?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2009, 10:47 AM »
 :D haha Great story!   How do you get a frozen auger outta the hole?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:07 PM »
Dachshunds....5 footprints in the snow ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline B.K.G.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Well I hope they are not all bad because we are getting a 6 week old Dachshund next week. I will be sure and not take him fishing :thumbsup:

Offline icefisher69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2009, 03:53 PM »
That was funny as hell,my bro and i are still laughing!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2009, 04:02 PM »
A friend of mine has a Dachshund,and believe it or not is I great blood dog,can and has found several bow shot deer,it's funny when he finds them,he takes a big bite of fur off there butt.Viscous little dog.

Offline Donquad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2009, 04:19 PM »
GREAT STORY!!!
I bet they would work pretty good for some muskie/pike bait!! ;D
I have seen a 40+ pike floating dead with muskrat in its mouth...  :o

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2009, 04:57 PM »
ROFLMAO............... .......... Thats classic

Offline bigfoot697

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2009, 05:33 PM »
great pets i have 3 and they think they are rottweilers lol. noone comes in my yard ever. their hearing is awesome and my 1 male named max will bite anyone he dont know but just the ankles lol. man i love my 3 dogs and would buy more but cant afford the 4 dogs and 3 cats i have now. i also have a skipperkey, pomeranian mix and she dont back down from anybody.

Offline BoydChurch

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Deep Creek Ice 12/27/2008
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Now, that's funny right there, I don't care who you are, that's funny. :laugh:
It's all a part o' fishin', son

Offline geothefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tightlines and safe ice to you all!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:34 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao:  Great story!  funny as h**l!  I could almost see the dog spinning around the auger!   :roflmao: :roflmao:
   Me and my son/fishing buddy AKA gfisher95 

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:51 PM »
What do you mean? Musky Bait? That's what cats are for!
Here's mine. Got him for the boys for christmas. pic is from then. Oh, and he's a minature.

Trooper Bri

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:22 PM »
That's a great story Genxer! Welcome to the Shanty.

How do you make a Dash smaller that they already are mud? Breed them with a Hebrew National hotdog? ;)

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:25 PM »
Something like that I guess! He doesn't have papers so I can't follow this hebrew past :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:27 PM »
But he is a minature believe it or not. I laughed when my wife asked if she could get it. Then I researched it.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Hey Guys, dont pick too hard about dachsunds, where do you think I got my name, have two right now along with my dalmation and have had 2 others, males are real fiesty. Mine also likes thought he was a rottweiler. Wanted to aattck everything that was bigger then him. LOL

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:18 AM »
The tears are in my eye, I,m dying . I can see it now and the dog going wo wo  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:wo
Bob P.

Offline damanfrgr

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Well I guess!!!LETS DO THIS
« Reply #17 on: Feb 22, 2009, 11:18 AM »
MIGHTYfine dog there mud ::)just yanking your chain ..pug here only good for bout 6 inches and he tries to p%s on the porch. broke him off that with airsoft pistal ....no harm ,,just scare tactics. ;D
FISH:)mmm good

Offline jmerrimack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 22, 2009, 04:18 PM »
that was a great story!
My wife got a mini 3 years ago, He is dumb as a box of rocks! It has 2 brain cells and they are arguing. They are very difficult to train and house break. And it barks and barks it will drive you insane! Good luck

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 22, 2009, 07:04 PM »
My family has had 3 dachshunds.  All have been great little dogs with tons of character.  It's a hoot to watch them play with my German Shepherd.  Our newest Dachshund (a 5 month old min) was barking at a coyote walking past the back yard yesterday.  I hope he realizes he'd be little more than a snack for the thing, but he fears nothing. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline rayman54

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2009, 02:57 PM »
That is some funny crap rite there, I would have carried that dog a mile just to see that. :roflmao:
My neighbor has a Dachshund and every time I go out the back door all I see is a little brown football with short legs that I want to kick because it won't stop barking at me, I can be working in the garage and it hears my voice and it barks. :cookoo:  I guess having a Golden Retriever for fifteen years kind of spoiled me, that dog hardly ever barked, she even liked the mailman,,,,,,,,,,,,sure do miss her. :icefish:

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2009, 03:01 PM »
Ours is really starting to get a bark to him and it's anoying.   Wonder if a shock collar set on high will Teach the little 8lb guy to shut up? :whistle: :blink:  j/k

Offline Gillgrabber

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2009, 04:51 PM »
That is some funny crap rite there, I would have carried that dog a mile just to see that. :roflmao:
My neighbor has a Dachshund and every time I go out the back door all I see is a little brown football with short legs that I want to kick because it won't stop barking at me, I can be working in the garage and it hears my voice and it barks. :cookoo:  I guess having a Golden Retriever for fifteen years kind of spoiled me, that dog hardly ever barked, she even liked the mailman,,,,,,,,,,,,sure do miss her. :icefish:
I miss my old German Shepherd.  A guy once told me it seems like a man only gets one decent dog in his life that was really worth a darn.   Can't replace 'em when they're gone. 
Proud NRA Life Member
Nothing like spending time in the outdoors with Family & Friends.

Offline Guycanfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:04 PM »
they taste like chicken. :o

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:07 PM »
they taste like chicken. :o
Guy, you are crazy, LOL.
We used to call my little males legs, chicken legs, I have seen chickens with bigger ones, LOL. But he acted like he was 6 ft tall

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2009, 06:31 AM »
ROFLMFBO.... just sitting here thinking bout that oscar meyer hot dog whipping around the auger , spiting it's collar and sliding across ice like a hockey puck lmao.... ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #26 on: Feb 26, 2009, 02:40 PM »
I have a super chubby dachsund named Bear...he's double deuce on the scale, baked bean-like teeth, mostly blind and deaf and loves his daddy...but no one else.  Has a history of biting people who wrestle in the house.  He is almost 15 years old.  Got him right out of college.  Will be a sad day when the Jumbo Smoky bites it.  I used to put him in the spillway at Spirit lake , IA and he would attack schooling carp in the 4" of swift moving water.  They are terrible dogs to be honest...hate almost everyone, no good with kids, the old wiener OWNS my 4 year old Weimaraner...she it terrified of him.  But does allow the neutered old boy an occasional ride on the silver carpet if she is tired.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline gonephishin19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I CAN CATCH FISH IN A MUD PUDDLE
« Reply #27 on: Feb 26, 2009, 02:57 PM »
great story...got me laughing out loud at work ;D

Offline fish4kitty

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Frabill Trekker 2
« Reply #28 on: Feb 26, 2009, 06:32 PM »
ROFL.....I spit on the keyboard...WOOOOOOOOOO OOOO hahahahahahahahahah