The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Steelie time!!!!!!!!  (Read 23082 times)

Offline SquirrelHunterJay

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Steelie time!!!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Maxima is the way to go been using it for 15 years

I did a project in school where i tested the breaking point of all the major brands of 4lb test and maxima was the strongest by a long shot
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like heck and make up lies......

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:04 PM »
They are starting to catch a few here and there on the Huron now , last October I was fishing a day after some major rain and saw about 50 fish caught and another 75 or so hook ups. The next day I got a double limit. I can't wait til spring but I love my ice fishing.
"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline bigJ108

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:16 PM »
hey 52 where do you fish in the huron to catch stellies?  I am from Monroe and i am not used to fishing that close to home i would love it if i didnt have drive so far any time i want to go out.  PM if you can.  thanks man.

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 18, 2009, 01:42 PM »
A rare day on the Huron

"Beer is living proof that there is a God and he wants us to be happy." Ben Franklin

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #34 on: Feb 18, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I'm throwing a spey but I'd give up the sport if I had to give up my flouro p-line.   Don't really need flouro if you're in stained water.   Maxima is good Grand River line.

BJB
The river here tends to be clear most the time. I sometimes have to move down to 2# test.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Feb 18, 2009, 03:48 PM »
Maxima is good Grand River line.
HA! 

I fish some of the cleanest rivers around clear CLEAR water.  Stuff dont stick out in clear water either... beleive me if i thought it did i wouldnt use it.

Made it to the river today, landed my first steelie of the year + a BEAUTIFUL rainbow.  we went 1-4 in 3 hrs of fishin, not bad in mid february!  All fish were bright, river was in PERFECT condition.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #36 on: Feb 18, 2009, 03:53 PM »
looks like its time to blow the dust off my steelie rod and vest.already got some spawn tied already from a small female coho from the fall

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:07 PM »
10-4 doc... Is the steelie hole pretty flooded yet???  The river we fished today was cleaned up real nice and good water level!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:09 PM »
10-4 doc... Is the steelie hole pretty flooded yet???  The river we fished today was cleaned up real nice and good water level!
ill get out there maybe saturday but i bet its perfect conditions down there maybe a little icy.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 18, 2009, 04:36 PM »
I didnt see ANY ice all day long... You should be good to go as far as ice goes.....  Get rid of that crap anyways, sick of ice, sick of snow. Ready to catch some real fish and get the boat back out!

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #40 on: Feb 18, 2009, 05:58 PM »
I DIDNT GET OUT TODAY VEX. I HAD TO GO DOWN TO JAYS SPORTING GOODS IN CLARE TO MEET A GUY. I BOUGHT A REAL NICE 1 MAN CLAM FISH TRAP SCOUT TODAY. IM GONNA CHECK THE RIVER TOMORROW.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:08 PM »
10-4 flag.  Despite the nasty weather i think we're gonna go give em round 2 tomarrow!

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:12 PM »
Hey guy's I am a basshead in the softwater.....smalllll ie's!!!! But looking at all these pretty steelhead is making me want to give this a run. On line i went to floro about 4 years ago on almost all my bass rigs.....not so much for it disappering in the water but becuase it sinks......is much more sensitive than mono, and much more abrasive resistant......I feel alot of bites I am sure I would not of with mono and my bass bud was using a new floro this year I believe that is made by P-line called halo that is a yellowishgreen color that disappers under water but is seen easily above water. I would of changed to this but I had to much I bought bulk in the spring that I usaully use. Bass pro floro and Seagur. It is expensive but I would never go back to mono unless I am throwing topwater. I would think this P-line halo would be great for drift fishing those steelie's. Give it a try and i think you would agree.

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:40 PM »
Bass head here also for smallies!!!!  What waters do ya fish DGB?

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Feb 18, 2009, 07:58 PM »
I got these pics on fishfinder too, but figured id give some of you guys who aint made it over there yet a chance to check em out.
Me with the fishes from today!

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #45 on: Feb 18, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Looks like a good day vex. ManI wish the banks looked like that here. theres still a ton of snow on them. Im gonna check it out tomarrow

Offline 52niner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:37 PM »
You know out of all the years I've fished I don't understand the Line question thing. I know some guys want to get technical but I've been through the whole p-line , maxima thing and I have straight up found it to be worth about as much as it costs you to buy the line. When I go fishing for steel I carry 2 spools. 1 with 20 Lb Braided stren for throwing plugs and 1 with 6 LB test for drifting or jiggin. Thats it. Never lost a fish unless I got in a log jam and when I get my plug on 20 test stuck I bend the hook before I loose my plug just my .02$

Offline ConesusPikeCatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2009, 09:43 PM »
These pics get my blood rushin.....

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:00 PM »
You know out of all the years I've fished I don't understand the Line question thing. I know some guys want to get technical but I've been through the whole p-line , maxima thing and I have straight up found it to be worth about as much as it costs you to buy the line. When I go fishing for steel I carry 2 spools. 1 with 20 Lb Braided stren for throwing plugs and 1 with 6 LB test for drifting or jiggin. Thats it. Never lost a fish unless I got in a log jam and when I get my plug on 20 test stuck I bend the hook before I loose my plug just my .02$
Up here. The water is so clear I sometimes can see 4 pound traveling under the water and you can sit and watch the fish move right out of the way. Thats when I break out the 2#. I have been know to even go down as low as 1# leader with a 12 1/2 foot noodle rod you can do that and catch fish all day long. I wish sometimes I could use 10# when I see that big 10# jump out of the water then it hits me I only have 2# leader. Oh well its fun anyway.

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hold my beer and watch this
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:02 PM »
52 thats what I'm sayin when me and my dad plug for steelies out of our driftboat we use 4 rods and all are set up with 12 pound berkly big game line which we've used forever and ive caught more steelhead that I can count on plugs and I can count the number of line breaks from fish on one hand. Its good line and it doesnt cost a fortune.

On my drift rod I use 8 pound trilene extra tough then a swivel with a  6 pound leader of the same line. I wont say that I'm the best drift fisherman out there but Ive caught a fair share of steelies with minimal break offs. I dont get why some guys use suck light leaders.

I guess everyone has a different way that works for them. All I know is that I'm dieing to get out and tangle with some steel! I' be heading out in the driftboat Saturday so hopefully we'll hook into a fwe.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:09 PM »
52 thats what I'm sayin when me and my dad plug for steelies out of our driftboat we use 4 rods and all are set up with 12 pound berkly big game line which we've used forever and ive caught more steelhead that I can count on plugs and I can count the number of line breaks from fish on one hand. Its good line and it doesnt cost a fortune.

On my drift rod I use 8 pound trilene extra tough then a swivel with a  6 pound leader of the same line. I wont say that I'm the best drift fisherman out there but Ive caught a fair share of steelies with minimal break offs. I dont get why some guys use suck light leaders.

I guess everyone has a different way that works for them. All I know is that I'm dieing to get out and tangle with some steel! I' be heading out in the driftboat Saturday so hopefully we'll hook into a fwe.
Like I said cp the water sometimes up here is crystal clear. This time of year I use 6# but after the run off of snow and the water clears up you have to do it. I once fished for 3 hours and not 1 bite went to 2# and limited in 1 1/2. Plus its a rush when you land that 10# on 2# test. I never tryed pluging for them I bet that would be fun.

Offline bluenose30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:10 PM »
here ya go vex and flag! this was before i got fat and stopped fishing for bullets, round 6 years ago! i used to hit the st. joe every spring w/ a buddy from indiana, yes...that was me!  ;D

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:13 PM »
Heck blue Im fat to and Im out there every chance I get. LOL

Offline bluenose30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:17 PM »
not blue, TEAM STINKY PINKY  ;) i used to hit it hard for those bullets, just got sick of the travel and the fighting for spots. that's about when i turned into a smallie and walleye guy! hey, those r a ton of fun... don't get me wrong!!!

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:19 PM »
Hey it's TEAM STEEL over here :thumbsup:. LOL. are you going to the gull lake fishathon?

Offline bluenose30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:31 PM »
hey team steel  :sick:  i want to really, my bud ron.... the HUGE guy from one of the walleye pic's and i. but his mom is sick again w/ her bad kidneys, i told mud.... maybye.

hope to make it for at least the night fishing, but i just don't know buddy. TEAM STINKY PINKY!!!   :pinch:  :flex:

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:33 PM »
I totally know what your sayin flag if the waters clear that smaller line can make all the difference. You should come down here and fish the Grand sometime you could use copper wire and still break off all day long. You sure can hook a $h!t load a fish there though. Most of the rivers I drift fish over here have a little stain to them year round all the time so the 6-8 pound works pretty good.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline flagguy83

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "LETS GO ICE FISHING"
« Reply #57 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:35 PM »
I totally know what your sayin flag if the waters clear that smaller line can make all the difference. You should come down here and fish the Grand sometime you could use copper wire and still break off all day long. You sure can hook a $h!t load a fish there though. Most of the rivers I drift fish over here have a little stain to them year round all the time so the 6-8 pound works pretty good.
Is that a invite Cp

Offline C P

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:38 PM »
Definetly could be ill have to let ya know when they start stackin up in there. Should be real soon therea gettin a few there already so it wont be long.
I caught a fish once! 

TEAM MITTEN

"EDITED"

Offline bluenose30

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:40 PM »
hey team steel, we should have a friendly contest on the saginaw river next year! 3-4 members per team! TEAM STEEL VS. TEAM STINKY PINKY!!!!!! all in fun of course.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.