The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Neveada Creek Reservor  (Read 6817 times)

Offline mackdog75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Neveada Creek Reservor
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 07:34 PM »
Anybody heard how it is up there? Buddy of mine was up there yesterday for perch. He hauled in 1 really nice one and only 3 other lil guys that he released.

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Neveada Creek Reservor
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2009, 04:09 PM »
Has anyone been up to Nevada Creek at all for the 2009-2010 season? Wondering if the ice is fishable. I need ling bait.

Offline perchhogslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the bite
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Wondering if the ice is fishable. I need ling bait.
I don't think Nevada Crk Res has many carp. Some small perch, but those are illegal to use for bait.
I drove by there a couple weeks ago and it was about 80% froze over, I'm sure with this weather its good and fishable, its usually right in line with Georgetown lake.

An Ice Fisherman is a man who spends cold days sitting on the ice doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009, 03:44 PM »
no, i eat the perch, there are suckers and these crazy silver fish that you can catch up there that work great for the ling. Its not illegal to use sucker meat is it?

Offline montanafishingr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2009, 06:32 PM »
Yes it is fishable. I think it was friday when we drilled test holes and it had anywhere from 4-6 inches

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If it didn't have a mother then it wasn't a meal.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2009, 02:30 PM »
You can use perch now. There was a change in the regulations last year I think. You are allowed to use nonedible perch parts. I prefer the head or the belly or the skin where it has been filleted off. On teh end of the right kind of jig the skin will look like a foraging perch as it flops around. Ling love it. I don't know if Nevada Resevoir is fishable yet though. It ought to be soon with how darn cold it has been. usually that is the coldest of any lake I fish in Southwest Montana. If you fish the deeper water there are some good perch in there too. I caught 40 one day last year that were all over 10 inches. I don't know how many more dinks I caught but it was a ton.

flyfish59102

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I think we are heading up there sunday. I figure with this cold, it aught to be fishable. What part of that res are you finding the perch in deeper water? I have tried the middle, but with very limited success. I usually fish on the far shore in the small coves and do fairly well. Only in about 20 ft of water tho. Do know what those big-eyed silver fish are in there that you sometimes seem to catch? Someone told me a sqaw fish?

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2009, 05:17 PM »
Sometimes I fish the coves on the far side too, but I did the best out in the middle. Figure there is the parking area where you walk down to the ice and then further up lake there is the parking area overlooking the ice. I am further up lake than that, but not mutch. Then I was out in the center in probably 40 feet of water.

flyfish59102

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 11, 2009, 01:37 AM »
Do know what those big-eyed silver fish are in there that you sometimes seem to catch? Someone told me a sqaw fish?
I think they are Redside Shiners.  According to the FWP website they are present there.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 11, 2009, 09:31 AM »
I guess I forgot to answer the question about the goofy silver fish, but the answer is yes. I catch 2 or three every time I am there. They go in the freezer for pike bait, but I have no idea what they are called.

Flyfish59102

Offline MTviking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2009, 10:14 AM »
The silvery fish you are catching are peamouth.  Redside shiners are too small to really catch on a jig and they are not silver.  Sqaw fish also are not silver, they are dark bronze on their backs with white bellies.

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2009, 11:54 AM »
The silvery fish you are catching are peamouth.  Redside shiners are too small to really catch on a jig and they are not silver.  Sqaw fish also are not silver, they are dark bronze on their backs with white bellies.
Squaw fish are Pike Minnow dude and they aren't bronze on the back...I think you are thinking of Chubs or long nosed Suckers or maybe mountain whitefish.

Good Fishing  :tipup:

Offline Quantoson

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • no fish is too big
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2009, 09:00 AM »
save them for pike and laker bait.
wish you many hook-ups

Offline GOOSE_EGG

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rip'n Lips [URL=http://s1208.photobucket.com/user/
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2009, 10:25 AM »
Hey have any of you had any luck up there after the sun sets. Last year i whent up 3 times every time caught more than 10 and no matter where i fished i caught pearch it was really my only luck last season HA

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2009, 06:32 PM »
How do you get to Nevada Creek?  I looked at the FWP's site but it only had a topo map of the lake itself and no directions or anything on how to get there.  All I know is that it's in region 2
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Icejigs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2009, 08:08 PM »
It's off Hwy. 141, between Avon and Helmville.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 12, 2009, 11:40 PM »
thanks
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2009, 10:40 AM »
I drove past Nevada Creek on Sunday. Lots of ice. I wouldn't take a truck out on it yet, but you would be fine with a 4 wheeler.

flyfish59102

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2009, 12:48 PM »
I didnt make it up there this weekend. I didnt want to brave Mac Pass on sunday after all the wrecks i saw coming home from the griz game on Sat night. I ended up at the Helena Regulating Res. We caught one dinky perch. Thanks for the info on the creepy fish are, all i know is that they work great for ling after dark, and I guess the ice is formaing well off of Duck Creek and Confederate. Thanks for the tips fly fish on where on the ice to fish that lake, and you dont need a atv out there, its not exactly Flathead or anything. haha I actually enjoy the hike out on the ice to fish sometimes.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Dec 15, 2009, 09:52 AM »
I used to not need an atv. Recently I have gotten so much geat between the heater, the shack, the gas auger and all the rest of my stuff that I am to lazy to drag it. So that leads to the addition of my final and most important equipment addition. Honda 400.

Flyfish59102

Offline Neptune

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "The Kokanee Killers"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 15, 2009, 10:24 AM »
I so want an ATV...Gotta find me a new house with a shop to store all my toys in though first!!!

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2009, 11:37 AM »
no, i eat the perch, there are suckers and these crazy silver fish that you can catch up there that work great for the ling. Its not illegal to use sucker meat is it?

I've never fished Nevada, but a few observations. Redside shiners are small, 2-4" max. These (and blacknose dace and speckled dace) are the fish you usually see swimming in backwaters or around structure in shallow water. For a kick, bait a #20 hook with a tiny amount of cheese and try to catch them.

Peamouth have small reddish mouths, about the size of a, surprise, pea. The fish are normally about 10". The peamouth I used to catch would turn reddish on the side after they died. At first glance you might think you have a whitefish.  I have caught a lot through the ice.
Peamouth:

Peamouth detail (they don't always have the red)

Squawfish, now called the northern pikeminnow, have a large mouth without teeth. I've caught them up to 20" or so. They fight like mad for 10 seconds then turn into a wet rag. They are easy to catch at dusk in the summer, even on dry flies, but I don't remember catching a lot of them through the ice. It has been 30 years though...

When looking for pictures I stumbled across a website on how to tell the difference. Guess someone was bored: http://www.pikeminnow.org/How%20to%20tell%20a%20peamouth.html

I used to use cut bait of either species to catch bull trout on Swan Lake.. I can't think of anything else that might be in there given that it is in the Blackfoot drainage, except a whitefish.

rg

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:03 PM »
Here is another peamouth that isn't as dark and maybe closer to what you were seeing. Note again the reddish lips; they always seem to be there.

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 21, 2009, 09:33 AM »
I know what the other guy is catching and I can safely say that all the pictures you have sent look nothing like it at all. The back is higher under the fin with a more significant slope toward the nose. The sides have absolutely no color at all and are pure silver. It isn't a pike minow or a big red sided shiner. It is some other variety of shiner.

flyfish59102

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:09 AM »
I know what the other guy is catching and I can safely say that all the pictures you have sent look nothing like it at all. The back is higher under the fin with a more significant slope toward the nose. The sides have absolutely no color at all and are pure silver. It isn't a pike minow or a big red sided shiner. It is some other variety of shiner.

flyfish59102

Weird, I'd like to know what they are. What do you catch them on? How large?

FWP doesn't list anything exotic in there, nor do they list peamouth, but of course they don't always get it correct.. Now you guys got me interested so I might make a trip next week if anyone wants to join me...
Nevada Creek Res Fish listing (MFWP)

Offline ManStorePatrick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Hey guys, yeah, the fish I was catching in there had a lager and darker dorsal fin if I remember right. They are nothing like I have ever seen before, and didnt really resemble any of the pictures you had above. I went up to Nevada Creek yesterday, and fished for a while in the deeper water like I was told to. I saw plenty of fish on the flasher, but it was a bit of a bugger to get them to bite at all. You really had to jig and work at it. We ended up with like 20-25 fish. Nothing bigger than 8".  I didnt catch any of the silver fish or any suckers on this trip. It was a first for that to happen, maybe it was because I was fishing in a deeper part ofthe lake. It was a fun trip tho, the weather was not bad at all, and there was a TON of ice up there. I would guess 14"-16".

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2009, 02:05 PM »
It is going to be at least two weeks before I can head up that way. Xmas with the wife will get in the way of fishing this weekend. If I try and sneak out I might get grounded for the rest of the season.

The shiners (for lack of a name) that we catch are are usually 4-5 inches long.

flyfish59102

Offline flyfish59102

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2009, 02:22 PM »
Ok, so I finally went to FWP and looked at thier minnow pictures. I am goign to guess it is a Brassy Minnow, or Golden Shiner. The other possibility is that it may be a red sided shiner but that it spends so much time deep in the lake that the colors are very faded and appear almost entirely silver. Teh site i went to was http://fieldguide.mt.gov/detail_AFCJB16020.aspx .

flyfish59102

Offline allan.brainard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2009, 03:18 PM »
I used to not need an atv. Recently I have gotten so much geat between the heater, the shack, the gas auger and all the rest of my stuff that I am to lazy to drag it. So that leads to the addition of my final and most important equipment addition. Honda 400.

Flyfish59102
When you use a hand auger, you don't need a heater.....just drill more holes

Offline RobG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2009, 05:35 PM »
[edit... snipped out Utah Chub... hope not]

Well if anyone gets one and is near Bozeman let me know and we can try to key it out with one of my old "Fishes of MT" books or maybe I could email the keys to someone if interested.

The redside shiners I have seen don't have the red on the side since those are breeding colors, so maybe you are catching the bigger ones. In doing a little reading I found they do get 5+ inches. MFWP Pics.

Well I'm getting my post count up anyway.
rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.