New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: thinking about a vexilar  (Read 3194 times)

Offline BobOlink

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: thinking about a vexilar
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:25 PM »
If you want a VEX go to their web site. Tey have recoditioned units with warrenties
Bob P.

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 18, 2009, 10:58 PM »
i think ill go with a vex. Fl12 or Fl18 are looking like my best bets. if anyone knows someone who's getting rid of due do upgrade or lack of time to fish or whatever reason, or just sees one around for cheap please let me know. thanks
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 19, 2009, 04:05 AM »
My ex bought me a Marcum lx-1 like 7 years ago. Yes I said Marcum lx-1. I've had this thing bouncing around my sled and trunks of cars for 7 years. This thing even survived my car goin up in flames last year. Thanks to the fire department for saving my trunk contents. Original battery still holds a charge when I have it running for more than 12 hrs. Newer models will come out every year. The big flashy models of this year will probably be marked down next year. Chock up a vote for marcum. If I ever upgrade I'll be sticking with that brand. Aside from my tipup line backing, no other piece of fishing equipment has held up so well for me. Very happy Marcum customer.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline eyedamage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 19, 2009, 03:59 PM »
im a marcum man myslef i really enjoy it  vx-1  love the bottom zoom. sweet. i dont need to say anymore

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #34 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:57 AM »
i live near oswego also. I bought the FL20 earlier this year and i wont fish without it. I have increased my catch by 50% since i bought it. Like they said just go and but it. I got mine at Fat nancys in paulaski ny for just over $500. Believe me its worth the money!
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #35 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:17 AM »
I have have all three vex 18 camera and 67c  camera stays home I wiil never part with my vex but I like the 67c has lots of features but what ever you choose get something with a zoom my vex was bought through vex factory outlet cheaper and same waranty just my .02

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 20, 2009, 05:57 PM »
I got to use my new vex today ,that thing is the cats butt , i can see now why nobody wants to fish with out it.BB

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline Dawg05

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 20, 2009, 06:56 PM »
wouldn't go without my vex

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Feb 20, 2009, 07:06 PM »

Alot of good deals on ebay right now.......
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline blitz42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:23 PM »
i have hummingbird 565 for open water, and just picked up a lawn mower battery for ice. it works great, it has the full view and a real time sonar column, which is basically a flasher.

Offline Nick94

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • AKA MapMan
« Reply #40 on: Feb 20, 2009, 09:28 PM »

Alot of good deals on ebay right now.......

look at the reconditioned units on the vexilar, much better prices than ebay (once a actual unit gets near end of auction, betting shoots up). you also get a 2 year warranty so i would do that
just my 2 cents
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:23 AM »
Everyone is going to tell you, that theirs is the best. Sort of like that childhood thing when every little kid thought their daddy was the toughest(best, etc),
Bottom line you need to do some research and figure out what features interest you. They are all great machines and improve your fish catching ability.
Myself, I opted for the LX-5 Marcum. Both 9/20 degree cone angle,target separation of 3/4 of an inch, and a adjustable five foot zoom feature anywheres in the water in the 20/40 foot mode and ten feet adjustable zoom in the 80/160 mode. This adjustable zoom  allows you to key in crappies,bluegills in the weeds(Suspended). Something you cant do with a vex that has a zoom feature for the bottom 6 feet only.You need to figure out your needs and purchase the machine that meets your needs. As you can see, both the Marcum and Vex have faithful followers. The competition between these manufactures and others will result in technology improvements for the ice angler.

Offline jdjyoung

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Get the gaf, I'm catching this one!
« Reply #42 on: Feb 21, 2009, 07:43 AM »
 I own the fl18 and absolutely love it. Its the only type of flasher I've ever used so I can't really say much as far as how it compares to the other versions out there on the market. I will however say that my fish to ice ratio has definately increased since I started using it and if the battery dies while on the ice.....I go home!
 Best of luck!

JD
" I'll take a bad day of fishing over a good day at work anytime!"

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #43 on: Feb 21, 2009, 10:46 AM »
I would like to see how the Vex works on the ice, probably will invest in one over the summer as long as a new shotgun doesn't get in the way.  Anybody in Dutchess County with one?
-Doeindesguise

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 22, 2009, 03:29 PM »
does anyone use or know someone who uses their flasher for open water fishing as well? how well do they work for both ice and open

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #45 on: Feb 22, 2009, 06:43 PM »
I have a Vex FL-18 and I absolutely love it.  I did a lot of research before I bought it and used my friends Hummingbird Ice-35, MarCum LX-5, and the Vexilar FL-18.  The Vex definitely has the best "ears" of the bunch.  I thought the MarCum was over-powered ... high power can be great over 150 ft., but not as effective as a finely tuned Vex for shallow water fishing.  If you plan on fishing mostly 50-150 ft, then get the MarCum.  I mostly fish 5-50 ft range, and the target definition is absolutely outstanding on the Vex.  It will pick up fish in weeds and the smallest jigs I have (size 16 marmooska no problem).  I thought the Hummingbird has some nice features but they fell short on the sonar end.  I really like the Auto Zoom, especially when fishing places like Lake George @ 20-60ft.  I also fish for gills in 4-18 f.o.w. and the low power mode is essential for that type of fishing.  The FL-8 doesn't have a low power mode ... and tends to spook fish.  There is a reason some of the top pros use Vexilar ... in my opinion it is the very best.  Get the FL-18 or FL-20 if you buy one. Don't take my word for it, do the research to draw your own conclusion.

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 23, 2009, 08:12 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. although the marcums seem like a bit more bang for the buck, i don't have much buck :( the reconditioned vexes seem to fit my wallet better. the zoom on the vex seems nice, but i don't fish that deep of water often(mostly fish sandy pond) so i think the FL 8Se is a good fit for me. the genz pack is cheapest, and from people i have sat and spoken with that fish with one, they are all you need and make a huge difference. i'm off to college next year and by the time i can afford to upgrade, in four to six years, they will all have made many advances. i can also put it on my boat for open water. i can't wait to get it. thanks again everyone for your input. tight lines to all

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.