The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: state should stock trout thru ice along with salmon  (Read 1624 times)

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
state should stock trout thru ice along with salmon
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:54 AM »
Here's a thought. The state stocks 500 trout in the fall around october 1st in some ponds including horn pond in woburn and walden and whites in concord as well as 500 or so trout in the early spring. Whu not take 150 trout from eah stocking spring and fall total of 300 trout and stock them thru the ice  in say mid january. It would create alot of interest and generate more licence sales as well as get the kids out of the house andaway from the  video games  The state alreaddy has the trucks getting the salmon  why not throw in a few trout as well JUST A THOUGHT  Pete
May your flags never have the bends

Offline rob-s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: state should stock trout thru ice along with salmon
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:21 AM »
are they raized in the same hatchery ?

Offline amazinmoose

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag UPPP!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 05:42 AM »
totaly agree
flag up, tightlines; fish on....   -moose

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:00 AM »
are they raized in the same hatchery ?

Nope, the Salmon come from a federal hatchery in Vermont, and are at the end of their life cycle.  They hae been Spawned out, and of no use to the hatchery anymore, so they give them free to the states(it only costs the state gas money) to create angler opertunities.

As for the trout, often winter causes poor conditons for all fish, with the ice and snow covering lakes, it often causes low oxegen levels in the water, trout need a high oxegen level to survive.  While you are still able to catch many trout through the ice, conditions for a successful stocking are less than ideal.

This state stocks too many trout anyways.  The need to look at doing some more pike stocking, and re-look into intoducing walleye into certain waters.

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:34 AM »

This state stocks too many trout anyways.  The need to look at doing some more pike stocking, and re-look into intoducing walleye into certain waters.

TFW Jeeps !  I would love to see our license money go for stalking other species.

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:38 AM »
Didn't there used to be an old fisheries facility near the Blue Hills Observatory on Rte 138?
I can still see the large circular holding "pond" from the road.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 11:00 AM »
They stock trout on the cape all winter. And if I am not mistaken, Comet get trout stocked through the ice too. Not sure about other ponds.

Offline baitman1018

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:34 PM »
I found this on another site Read here: http://www.goal.org/templates/budget%20cuts.htm this article said with the state cut backs fish & wildlife will take a big hit  and may not stock trout anymore.

Offline fishinfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:51 PM »
Thank duval for that. :%$#!:

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:17 PM »
The governor is going to cut everything and the state fisheries division is going to take big hits. I'm sure our lincense fee won't go down as the stocking programs do >:(

Keith

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline Neversink Jimmy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish 'Till Ya' Puke...
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:30 PM »
The colder the water, the higher the levels of dissolved oxygen available to fish and other aquatic life...
"Once in awhile you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right" 

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:40 PM »
It seems to me 20 years ago there were alot of pike in the charles river in around waltham as well as  tiger muskies in spy pond and lake quinnapowett  But no more This was a great fishery that fizzled out. I don't know if pike will reproduce or not my friend BOB ARINI of fisheries and Wildlife says they don't . They require stocking evey year And like Flap jack siad stocking requires Money which is hard to come by with all these budget cuts. What I was saying was to redistribute the alottment of stocked trout that we already have from the all being stocked in the spring and fall  I like all kinds of fish and icefishin. But it sucks when you go a favorite pond  close by That used to be stocked with trout thru the ice and catch nothing but perches the size of a #2 pencil . For me it awesome to see a little kid catch a fish thru the ice especially a freshly stocked trout that is easy for him or her to catch MAYBE making him or her a fisherman for life. Or on the other hand he or she can watch remain in a unpopped position and lose interest forever

Offline formerly known asflapjack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:53 PM »
I still wonder if our hatcheries are species specific, If not, they should start raising pike or tigers(hybrid won't repro) and dump them in all the waters that don't get stocked w/ trout. But the way they are talking at the Statehouse, there won't be any money anyway. But I was wondering, how much land have they bought with that $5 increase in our licenses some years back. Land Aquisition Fund ? Call your State Reps. and support no cuts in F&W. Find out the outdoorsman among them, does anyone know a friend of the outdoorsman on Beacon Hill ?

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Lets start our own hatchery in the frog ponds on the Boston commons lol

Offline djb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:28 AM »
Fish & Wild funding comes from many sources, including licenses. Nearly half of the entire budget comes from matching federal funds. These  funds are protected from diversion by law and MUST be used for fish and wildlife conservation. If the legislature and/or the Governor attempt to divert these funds the Feds step in and tell them to replace them or they will lose their Federal funds (about 50% of the entire budget!).Past attempts by two governors to divert these funds were stopped in this way.
  Jeeps1 is correct about the poor winter stocking conditions and lower dissolved oxygen levels. Also, every time the stocking truck moves it is a cost in manhours, fuel, equipment etc. A good fisheries manager is not only an exceptional biologist, but also a good manager of all of his resources. He is also correct about these salmon being surplus and available for only the cost of the crews and equipment to move them.
  The pike fishery and a hatchery to support it in Massachusetts in a great idea. I have spoken with Mark Tisa about it myself and the first concern is the enormous start-up costs of getting the program going. DFW has properties that would probably fit the bill for this, but the construction and equipment costs are very substancial. In other words there are many significant hurdles that must be overcome before even one pike egg is hatched.

Offline airplanejig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2009, 01:55 PM »
Just got a return phone call from todd richards at fish and game to answer my question about dissolved oxygen levels thru the ice  HE said for the most part the oxygen wikk remain consistenr espiacially in ponds that have an inlet and and outlet and springs Mostly trout ponds ' the ones that have a die off are places like the A1 site where the weeds suck up all the oxygen plus several others  alsiu some natural reproduction of pike does occur in wesrern mass ;lajes ONOTA and POnTUSUUC  as well as CONN river  around here the CONCORD RIVER and to some extent THE CHARLES has some breeding goin on as well.  This said  the trout stocked thru the ice will definatley survive  as o there is ample oxygen in trout ponds and lakes  Pete Santini

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2009, 11:11 AM »
There was a "Far Side" cartoon showing 2 guys in a rowboat with nuclear expolsions going off in the background, and one fisherman says to the other: "You know what this means? No size limit and screw the limit!"

All kidding aside, I would hope that the stae's F&G can continue doing what they can to maintain the fisheries as best they can.
If not, then you'll end up with ponds and lakes with nothing but sunfish, perch and catfish and nothing else!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline jf5

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2009, 01:38 PM »
So there should be no need for a license anymore one would assume.  yeah, right !

::)

License money is not just for stocking fish...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.