Author Topic: Help please  (Read 817 times)

Offline headless

• IceShanty Rookie
Help please
« on: Jan 31, 2009, 02:32 AM »
Where should I hook the minnow nose,eye sockets,body or tail when fishing for bass and pike?Iusually hook through the nose for bass seems like they take the minnows in head first so you would think.

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
Re: Help please
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2009, 03:28 AM »
just behind the dorsal fin.
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Flag!!Man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2009, 04:11 AM »
Might want to consider a Quick Strike Rig. Its a double hook rig; One hook goes behind the head and the other behind the dorsal fin. Your hook up percentage would most likely increase!  If using just a single hook; alot of guys will hook the minnow through the lips to make sure the hook is the 1st thing in the fish's mouth (Predatros usually strike their prey head first). I've found that hooking minnows in the lip really hinders the fish's movement and sometimes kills them. Behind the dorsal fin will keep the minnow LIVELY all day. Would recommend that if you use extra large minnows to give the fish a little time "Swallow" the bait after it runs with it.  Careful not to hook your minnow too deeply; just pierce it lighty on the dark strip that runs down it's back. 

You may find that less lively minnows are outproducing lively minnows somedays. Be careful of painting a black and white picture of what is best. Things change from day to day...

Offline chicknwsl

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2009, 01:29 PM »
behind the dorsal fin is what we use

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.