Author Topic: Emergency Heat  (Read 2254 times)

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
Emergency Heat
« on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:05 PM »
I read an article (I think in Outdoor Life) on this heater. They recommended keeping in your car in case you got stranded in the winter:

A little bit of warming heat can go a long way in the outdoors, particularly when it comes to warming cold hands. You can always solve the problem by gathering up wood and building a fire, but in some cases the wood may be wet, or maybe you don't like the idea of generating a lot of smoke. There may be a better solution. With a little bit of planning ahead of time you can easily make a simple, basic heater with very little effort. All you need are three simple items:

1. An empty metal coffee can (3 lb./ a little taller than toilet paper roll) with replaceable lid.

2. A bottle of rubbing alcohol rubbing alcohol
n.
A mixture usually consisting of 70 percent isopropyl or absolute alcohol, applied externally to relieve muscle and joint pain.

3. A roll of toilet paper

Unlike some other forms of fuel, rubbing alcohol doesn't generate a great deal of BTUs, but the intended purpose of this heater is not to produce a great deal of heat. Its application is suited to simply take the chill off your hands in an easy, economical manner.

The first step is to place the roll of toilet paper inside the coffee can. (You have to remove the cardboard tube by pressing it out with your thumbs.) The toilet paper should form a fairly snug fit. Next, simply pour the rubbing alcohol evenly over the toilet paper. Use enough to thoroughly saturate the paper, but not so much that any liquid is visible in the bottom of the can. After the alcohol has been absorbed into the toilet paper, the coffee can may be sealed until the heater is needed (this will help slow any evaporation evaporation, change of a liquid into vapor at any temperature below its boiling point. For example, water, when placed in a shallow open container exposed to air, gradually disappears, evaporating at a rate that depends on the amount of surface exposed, the humidity  of the alcohol). In all likelihood the lid won't fit tight enough to keep the alcohol from leaking out if the can is tipped over, so your heater should be stored upright.

When your heater is needed, simply light the toilet paper with a match or cigarette lighter. The alcohol burns very clean with virtually no visible smoke, making it great for use in duck blinds.

Once your hands are warmed, simply smother the fire. After the can has cooled down, you can replace the lid and store until it's needed again. I like to carry an extra bottle of rubbing alcohol with me in order to replenish. Make sure the heater is completely cooled down before adding more alcohol.

It is important that this heater, or any combustion-type process for that matter, be used only in a well-ventilated area. Even though no visible smoke can be seen when the heater is burning, poisonous
 carbon monoxide gas is being produced and emitted into the surrounding air.
The breath of God produces ice,
and the broad waters become frozen.
Job 37:10

Jesus was the best fisherman!! Luke 5:6

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Emergency Heat
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:20 PM »
Here ya' go.... Just checked it out and great idea....

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf430238.tip.html

Offline Hoosier Papaw

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Still lookin' for my avatar fish...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:21 PM »

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:21 PM »

Offline bryan62

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:23 PM »
Yep. Same thing. Very ingenious and potentially life saving.

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:24 PM »
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf430238.tip.html

How do you guys add that link to your post , if you can explain it to me I would appreciate it.. Thanks
     Nevermind I figured it out  ::) ::) ::)

Offline Philover

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:43 PM »
Great Idea, made me remember making something similar when I was kid. But instead of toliet paper I used corrugated cardboard, rolled it up and set it inside the 3lb coffee can. Then melted wax into the can until it was near the top of the cardboard. What was really neat, I took a larger coffee can, one that would fit upside down over the "burner", popped some holes around the sides top and bottom with a can opener and wah-lah! I had a grill!! We cooked countless burgers, hotdogs etc. when we were campin at "the fort".
When everything cooled off, wiped it down, set the burner inside the stove can, put the lid on and we were ready for the next time. If I remember right, I think we made them in boy scouts. But you know, I'm sittin here thinking I might just make one now to take ice fishing. Thanks for bringing back a memory.
Phil

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009, 02:58 PM »

How do you guys add that link to your post , if you can explain it to me I would appreciate it.. Thanks
     Nevermind I figured it out  ::) ::) ::)

Here you go.  ;)

Offline caddy084

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:04 PM »

Here you go.  ;)

(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks Drifter, I played around with it and figured it out on my own. ???  Tried it out on my earlier post and it worked like a charm. Thanks Again........

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:08 PM »
Thanks Drifter I was wondering the same thing. Great post on stove as well.
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:51 PM »
JimQ has the even better idea, Sterno puts out twice the BTUs and seals up 100%. Wouldn't surprise me if it is even cheaper.
    I do love the home style ideas though. A similr "stove" can be made with a soup can and cotton balls filled with vaseline. Vaseline doesn't eveaporate very fast. You can even pt a grate of sorts over these and the toilet paper one and cook over them and yes, they will boil water
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Offline ChautauquaDawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009, 04:54 PM »
Yea, I'd go with the sterno, Then you can save the toilet paper for "other" Emergencies!   ;D

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:01 PM »
Thanks Drifter I was having the same problem with links

Offline Kelly Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:22 PM »
I keep a small pill bottle of cotton balls saturated in petroleum jelly in my hunting/fishing emergency kit.
I've used it to start a small fire on 2 occasions when the wood wasn't wanting to catch. Works like a charm.

I like the sterno idea too. I have access to a lot of those.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.