The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Glen lake pike question  (Read 5821 times)

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Glen lake pike question
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 01:36 PM »
Hey all,
I go to school in VT and am about 20 minutes from Glen lake. Its a beautiful place, and I much prefer spending my time there, waiting for that monster, rather than at St. cats or Bomoseen, even though theres more action on those lakes. My question is....why is this place so slow? Ive heard people say "its just the way it is" but there has to be a real explination. It has awesome weedlines, good dropoffs, a couple of nice points, all recepies for pike. Is the pike population small? are they extra spooky because of the clear water? This year I plan on trying some new spots that I scouted in the summer/fall. Still though, I know how slow it can be and I just cant believe that no one has figured the place out yet. I'm no stranger to slow pike lakes, CT has a few and thats where I got started pike fishing, but nothing compares to glen. Any thoughts?

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
Re: Glen lake pike question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:02 PM »
how many full day have u fishing the lake, and what have u pulled up? what do u use for bait? whats your set up in ur rigs.

Offline Fish-On-VT

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Duff Shack!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2009, 06:47 PM »
Not sure why its so slow during the winter...  The lake is great during the summer, especially night fishing  ;D

I know their a quite a few natural springs in the lake, maybe this has something to with it  :blink: :wacko:

Anyways, how is the ice on Glen ? I was thinking of fishing their this weekend, maybe... But I want to take the wheeler

~ Fish-on-VT

Tip Up !!! :tipup:

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:05 PM »
Maybe the Pike perfer 8" Rainbows for feed.BB :o

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009, 08:55 PM »
wear nothing but camo, paint all Ur ice fishin stuff camo. jig or trap some small trout and trough it on Ur hook. :callcops:

but that would be illegal :nono:

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2009, 09:02 PM »
how is the jigin in Glenn. i fished it for two days and not a flag. but i agree about about it having great drop offs and weed lines, looks to have potential. i think the trout are so scared of the pike and the pike love to eat the trout

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2009, 11:37 PM »
I guess the trout theory makes sense. One of the slowest pike lakes in CT has trout in it.

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2009, 06:52 AM »
i have spent one day on glen this year.  i think possibly one problem could be that a lot of the lake is fairly deep.  most of the bays seem a little smaller.  also, one of the better spots might as well be posted, as anyone who goes over that way could meet "god".  just get some big bait and go.  they say it is better during late ice. also, don't be afraid to talk to other people there, they won't let you fish in their spot, but if you are respectful of their space they may be willing to offer a couple tips.  i've heard jiggin is okay there, lots of crappie and perch fisherman there
My dream is clear, it involves fishin' n beer

Offline juniorshanty

• IceShanty Rookie
  • " TIP UUUP!!!"
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:34 AM »
Glen lake has the big one theres no doubt about it.  I caught an 18" rainbow there last year that looked like a pitbull went after it, and pitbulls don't swim. I have seen 20 lbrs. come out of glen, and the state record has been around 30 lbs. from Glen since the 70's. The vermont fish and game website has some pretty good info on fish records. You just have to be set up on one of the points or around the back side in the weeds, set your tip  ups and leave them alone for the day, don't skim the holes or check the bait or nothin, just be patient maybe it will happen for ya, I'm hoping to get back there sometime, but maybe not this year, good luck tight lines.
If you aren't catchin any fish, you're not drinkin enough beer!

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:36 PM »
is this what ur lookin for? 42lbs

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:02 PM »
taggin out, I know exactly what you mean. I fish strictly for trophy pike and have no problem playing the waiting game, its just that Glen seems slower than even the slowest lakes that I fish in CT. Either way, its a place where I'm willing to put in the time.  Tomcat, thats a hell of a fish, but its no 42lber. I think there was another thread last year debating that picture. If its your fish then you know better than I do, but I know pike, and it looks to be in the 20 lb range. You wouldnt hear me complaining if I iced one like that though!

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:44 AM »
thats bigger than 20 i bet.  at least 25, probably more

Offline mrrutstrut

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:18 AM »
Thats much much bigger than 20lbs. Go under the other posting Whipple Hollow Bait. That picture is me and my friend from last years Benson Derby. The fish on the left was 19 something, mine was 18 something. So you can easily see the size diffence, its huge. If the picture hasnt been edited I would say it is close to 40lbs.

Offline VTtrophychaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Big Fish
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:54 AM »
any idea where it came from?

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2009, 05:27 PM »
Its all in how you hold the fish. He has that thing way out in front of him, and doesnt look like that big of a guy. ill give it 25, maybe 30 lbs, but no more than that. Anyway, thats not the point of this thread.

Offline tomcatoak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety meeting
« Reply #15 on: Jan 29, 2009, 06:57 PM »
any idea where it came from?

Tobin lake Saskatchewan, thing is a gator look at it mouth

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.