Author Topic: Simcoe Advice  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Reddhead

• IceShanty Rookie
Simcoe Advice
« on: Jan 24, 2009, 08:50 AM »
I've got a group heading over to Simcoe on Thursday for our first time fishing for the storied jumbos.  I want to know how many lines we can use on that lake.  I tried to find it on the MNR website but I only found that zone 16 is on page 78.  Can someone help me out with this?  Also, do you need to buy minnows for these perch or will the bugs work fine.  Any general areas to fish around.  BTW, I'll be staying at the Hofland House in Innisfil.  Any info. is greatly appreciated.
Redd

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
Re: Simcoe Advice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2009, 10:01 AM »
Two lines each are allowed...catch limit of 50 perch, possession of 100.  Some use minnows, some don't...if you want a nice batch of them along with some useful info, stop in at the Innisfil Bait shop... http://www.livebaitandtackle.com/about.php Not too far from you at the corner of Hwy.89 & Yonge street.
The harder the better!

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:25 PM »
Hofflander is great. He'l tell you exactly where to go for the bigger ones. Bring mousies with you and some spikes. My buddy brings some up with  him from NY and out fishes me. You can get minnow just down the road from where you are staying. Love To fish also has tackle like simcoe bugs.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Reddhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2009, 06:53 AM »
Thanks alot for the advice.  We are extremly pumped to get up there and fish since all of us are married and our wives will not let us fish this weekend because of the Honeydolists and the fact that we will be fishing for three days.

I also heard that there was smelt in Simcoe.  Is there a good popluation or is it not even worth fishing for them?
Thanks a lot for the help.
Redd

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Ya Forget the smelt focus on your perch then when you have limited out on that go for your whities then lakers:">
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Reddhead

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:55 AM »
Germ:
We are pretty hard core fishermen and we like to fish nonstop.  I was just thinking that if there are good smelt waters to try for them at night.  I've never been successful for anything but burbot and smelt at night.  Is it good to try for lakers, whities and perch after dark?  Let me know if you have the chance.
Thanks.
Redd

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2009, 11:03 AM »
Smet fishing in Simcoe has pretty much dried up over the years. Lakers and whities can be caught at night but not too many fish for them after dark. There is a good crappie population but finding them can be tough.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline Germ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Take what you want from what i post.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2009, 02:03 PM »
We also have burbot... SO try for them at night with the whities.. and like RR said the smelt isn't something that we Target on our lake at all.. though be my guest.. i have caught probably 2 in the years on the ice... though as i said i dont target them... The burbot i have hear people catch are around the islands usually around 60-80 FOW.. i have had No success catching them the few times i have tried on Simcoe..( i think 3 times now lol) Though up north i catch them pretty much every time.. Though to be honest i dont have a sled so the spots i have tried im pretty much limited to how far i can walk.. if i had a sled it would be alot differnt:>
Please don't take offense to Germ's |Posts they are in no way shape or Form ...Ment to discredit or Discourage any other peoples post's..Please take Germ with a grain of salt and Rememeber it is all ment in good fun and if you Would like something changed on a post of mine mesage me ill fix it

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2009, 03:45 PM »
I want to know how many lines we can use on that lake.  I tried to find it on the MNR website but I only found that zone 16 is on page 78.  Can someone help me out with this? 
Redd
Try this site:
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/STEL02_165338.html

Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline sledheadsx6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • cabin fever !!! i need to go fishin !
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2009, 08:59 PM »
let me know how you do long drive from jackson , 4.5 hrs from marine city  , mi

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum