Author Topic: Panfish Jigs  (Read 6424 times)

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Panfish Jigs
« Reply #30 on: Jan 23, 2009, 11:44 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I believe this is what we are talking about. Sorry to burst your bubble eyesfishing. Even though you are Russian and know it all... ;D....You know Russian language and spelling..we know Ice jigs...

No it's nothing "ridiculous" like that!!!   :cookoo: LOL.... Some people's kids.... right GrnDay?

Offline REEL DeiL

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 24, 2009, 07:40 AM »
jammin jigs candy stripe tear drop

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:10 AM »
Hey, I don't try to be a Smart A$$.... I'm just well informed, proving people wrong isn't a hobby, It's a gift. Reason #1 my wife gets mad at me. But to get things straight I don't want to put anyone down, just do your homework.

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 24, 2009, 11:15 AM »
I just went and bought marmooskas for my upcoming trip to conesus they are bluegill crack out there . mormyshka or whatever are the ones with no eye you tie to hook correct ?  I dont like these very hard with cold fingers to tie on    IMO

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 24, 2009, 12:46 PM »
    CritaC   Are you talking about the "Super Duper" spoon? It's a very old lure usually cast and worked like a traditional spoon fishing open water tho this puppy is a strip of brass curved slightly and formed in a very narrow and deep U shape with the treble mounted at the base of the U. This is a really productive old standbye and I've caught lots of trout on it over the years fishing open water. I'm not sure if it's still being made these days but I'll bet it would work well as a vertical jigging lure.

Spin

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 24, 2009, 01:01 PM »
Marmooska/marmyska I think the spelling depends on who you buy them from. My go to in this order 1.firetiger,2.green, 3.yellow in horizontal jigs.  My latest buy was a firetiger gill pill,  I saw Dave Genz fishing 1 on tv and suddenly needed it.
Dave Genz was on oneida lake (Big Bay) 2 yrs ago with his film crew and got skunked while me n my buddy hammered the panfish. maybe he shoulda asked us what we were using lol

Offline frozengator

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Jan 24, 2009, 01:36 PM »
I just went and bought marmooskas for my upcoming trip to conesus they are bluegill crack out there . mormyshka or whatever are the ones with no eye you tie to hook correct ?  I dont like these very hard with cold fingers to tie on    IMO
Marmooskas do have an eye to tie to. Sometimes the eye gets covered with paint. They are a pain to tie in the cold. but well worth the trouble. And I don't care how to spell pronounce or what ever.  You know what I am talking about and for those of you that use them know they work.
Gator Nation

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 24, 2009, 04:46 PM »
Hey, I don't try to be a Smart A$$.... I'm just well informed, proving people wrong isn't a hobby, It's a gift. Reason #1 my wife gets mad at me. But to get things straight I don't want to put anyone down, just do your homework.

I'm agreeing with you 100% GrnDay. He jumped to conclusions and tried to put everyone down saying that they didn't know anything.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #38 on: Jan 24, 2009, 04:56 PM »
Eyes,
You'd better straighten out the rest of the world as well ::) They don't know as much as you do either.

Mormyshka ( or Mormishka, or Marmooska Russian: мормышка) is a sort of fishing lure or a jig. The word is derived from Russian word Mormysh - that means Freshwater Shrimp (Gammarus). (Wikipedia)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:01 PM »
Tungsten baby!

Top rows.
RG ;D
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:11 PM »

You still don't have the one and only ... jig ;)
RG

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 24, 2009, 05:47 PM »
Eyes,
You'd better straighten out the rest of the world as well ::) They don't know as much as you do either.

Mormyshka ( or Mormishka, or Marmooska Russian: мормышка) is a sort of fishing lure or a jig. The word is derived from Russian word Mormysh - that means Freshwater Shrimp (Gammarus). (Wikipedia)

(Image removed from quote.)

RG
these are the ones I was refering to when I said I dont like them . The other ones you show I do like however the tungsten look cool what are they . They look like they have a normal eye to tie to

Offline eyesfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 25, 2009, 04:47 PM »
I did not get "set straight" by anyone, and rgfixit just confirmed, that the whole thing is russian.

To those who shuffled links with the manufacturer's packages saying "Marmooska", well where do you think that came from? The original is Marmyshka. Written properly in Russian words, it's Mormyshka, but you would say it like you hear is so Marmyshka is right.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=37804

Where do you suppose this came from?

Russians have been making such tiny and sensitive rods for decades, if not more and the original word Marmyshka was passed on through many people, and sadly ended up being written as mormooska.
Get the flag!

Offline fishinfool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:04 PM »
 :%$#!:

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:12 PM »
Sheesh.... some peoples kids...... talk about charecter flaws..... If I want refer to a certain brand name of goods..... I am going to refer to it as the actual brand name... not some other word that the brand name was derived from 2 generations back. Now, if someone would like to give some history about a certain type of jig or a brand name as to where it was derived from, that is always fun and interesting, but don't come in here telling us that we are all completely wrong when there is the proof to back it up.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:39 PM »
   If somebody wants to point out the point of origin to a commonly used name or term as a point of interst fine and "Thanks" but I feel it's out of line to say others are wrong if they refer to a lure as it's commonly known or labeled especially by it's manufacturer. *****ization of words, terms and names has occurred and been accepted for about as long as language has existed and is a big part of how separate dialects come into being. OK? now back to your regularly scheduled program kids.

Offline tundraboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Jan 25, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Hey maybe someone should call the manufacturer and let them know they made a mistake and someone has the proof to back it up ??? ??? ???
Love to fish but live to hunt

Offline Sowbelly17

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Iceaholic
« Reply #47 on: Jan 26, 2009, 09:56 AM »
I did not get "set straight" by anyone, and rgfixit just confirmed, that the whole thing is russian.

To those who shuffled links with the manufacturer's packages saying "Marmooska", well where do you think that came from? The original is Marmyshka. Written properly in Russian words, it's Mormyshka, but you would say it like you hear is so Marmyshka is right.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=37804

Where do you suppose this came from?

Russians have been making such tiny and sensitive rods for decades, if not more and the original word Marmyshka was passed on through many people, and sadly ended up being written as mormooska.
Dude, settle the frick down.  I was right in referring to the jig as a Marmooska because that's how it's spelled on the package.  Yeah maybe the manufacturer did mess up but that's still how it's spelled on the package and that's how I'm gonna say it.  Now is it really that big of a deal?  Are you gonna get butt hurt over the way someone pronounces a jig's name?
No fish left uncaught.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 26, 2009, 11:04 AM »
   Agreed, Much ado over nothing and I'm Russian as well. Mother's maiden name was Mesko - Soviet Georgian.

Spin

Offline The Dad Fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 26, 2009, 12:19 PM »
The Cold war is alive and well on an Ice Fishing site...go figure  ;D
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you on experience

Offline Hoosier Papaw

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Still lookin' for my avatar fish...
« Reply #50 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:11 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Jan 26, 2009, 01:38 PM »
What is your #1 go to panfish jig??

Soooo, did you get an answer to your question 4 pages back?

RG

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:32 PM »
To this day if I see a Russkie wearing a beaver hat in my backyard, he is still getting popped.
Glad I live in Michigan.............. .Tovarich

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:42 PM »
Back to the original post I've recently had good luck with an atomic ant (green) but who knows what they will bite on tomorrow.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 26, 2009, 02:55 PM »
Back to the original post I've recently had good luck with an atomic ant (green) but who knows what they will bite on tomorrow.
...........or 15 minutes from now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.