Author Topic: waterproofing a bib  (Read 1156 times)

Offline lostfisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
waterproofing a bib
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:01 AM »
Does anyone know how to waterproof a bib. Mine keep getting soaked.

Offline BaitWrangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's a trap!
Re: waterproofing a bib
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:41 AM »
Wear something waterproof over it.

I doubt you'll be able to waterproof it. (But who knows, maybe.)  I used a silicone based spray for my boots in November and I'll tell you that it's already worn off pretty well.... my feet have been getting soaked the last couple weeks.  Point of the story, the spray wearing off that quick was on leather... on cotton I'd imagine it wouldn't work right from the get-go and would wear off very quickly.

Offline Spin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 08:57 AM »
      I'd agree with previous posts about cotton fabric but if it's even slightly loose weave it's going to leak through no matter what kind of fabric it is. If the bibs are getting wet low on the legs (shin area) from auger blade wash you can try waxing the fabric as is done with heavy canvas brush chaps. Look around for the stuff (upland hunting clothes suppliers)or in a pinch you can use Johnson's paste wax. Apply to the needed area lightly, rub in some with a clean rag then heat gently with a hair dryer, repeat. A pain in the butt and a little messy, and you won't want to put the bibs in the washer with regular clothes or over do application so as to bleed through too much wax into underlying insulation put it's likely the most effective and longest lasting treatment you can use directly on the existing garment. I think before I'd jazz around like that I'd try faceing with some impermeable material like waterproof tent fabric, slip over gaitors or as mentioned previously put em away for other use and get youself a new pair of bibs made for use on the ice.

Spin

Offline spinzer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I'd just go to Dicks Sporting Goods or someplace and buy a cheap pair of ski pants to put over them, those are generally water resistant and wind proof.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:10 AM »
In college the saying was "cotton Kills"

Offline Bellybuster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:17 AM »
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
--Stephen Wright

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.