Author Topic: 15 hour marathon  (Read 1649 times)

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
15 hour marathon
« on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:38 AM »
I'm counting down the days before show season starts. My fishing will be severely limited until April so I am making the most of what I have left   :tipup: The plan was pike on the cove for the better part of the day and switch over to crappie late in the afternoon and into the night.

I met Andrew at 5:45 and was drilling holes less than 20 minutes later. We had a great sunrise on the cove and got to watch a couple of bald eagles patrol the cove for a minute before continuing south.

Sunrise flag

We had a few flags early but were never able to stick any fish. I've seen a lot of reports on this board with guys using Arctic Warriors. I decided to give them a shot this year but with only one on the ice it's always a crap shoot.  I my fingers were crossed that I would finally get a fish on the Warrior. I was in a slump with the pike but we were in a completely different part of the cove so hopes were high... We had put or time in so in my mind, we were due! Around 8, I hear bells jingling and looked up to see the flag on one of my Heritage flying. When I stuck the fish my initial thought was that something had run me into a log crib... Until the fish took off. The run lasted less than 2 seconds and POP!   :'( The fish chewed through my 50lb leader. I was furious! After 5 minutes of swearing and kicking snow I tied another rig on and got back to work.

It didn't take long for the next flag. Andrew saw the Warrior get get and was yelling for me to get my a$$ over there. The tip of the rod on the Warrior down in one of the holes and the reel was screaming. I opened the bail to allow the fish to run while I set the drag and the stuck the fish hard. Fish on!   ;D  It was a BLAST fighting a good fish on rod and reel through the ice.   :D

Not a half hour later the bells ring and the real screams again... This one wasn't as big but I couldn't have cared less. Fishing with Arctic Warriors is addicting!

I got one more fish on a tip up. It was the smallest of the day but after the dry spell I had been in I wasn't complaining.

We hung out till 2 or so and I dropped Andrew off at his truck and waited for Jimmy to show up for the evening session. We were back on the ice by 3 and headed out for some deeper water. On the way out, I noticed a flag up where we wanted to set up. I realized that my son had left a tip out from the day before and it had been tripped. It took some chiseling but we managed to free the tip up and sure enough, I still had some line on the spool and the fish was still there   :o I was surprised to see that the perch wasn't hooked very bad. Some minor surgery with the hemostats and it swam off down th hole. No skunk for the night crew!

After arming the tip ups with lights, we set up in 15 to 20 feet of water with the baits suspended at various depths. It didn't take long for the flags to start popping... We had a 6 crappie or so on the ice in no time. We were so busy for a little while, I almost missed out on the sunset... Almost...

We had a pretty good breeze blowing after dark so we hauled some wood out and got a fire going. We set some potatos wrapped in foil on the fire and chilled for a while. It sure was relaxing out there. I almost fell asleep in my chair...

The action really died down after 8 so we packed it in. A hot sower and bite to eat, I was in bed before 10. Needless to say, I slept like a rock last night   :laugh:

Offline linebreaker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 15 hour marathon
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:01 AM »
What a day Blaine!!!  Glad you could make the most of it and the weather and the fish did their part as well. Great pics too!

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:00 AM »
nice job blaine, those fish look pretty vivrant in color.thats something with the left over tip-up with the flag up- i did the same thing except i was spooled and the leader and hook were gone . glad you had such a good outing!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:31 AM »
Fishing a shiner on a jigging rod is an awesome idea! I've experimented a bit but never got one to bite. How to you prop up the rod? Do you just put the bell on the rod tip and set your drag really loose? What do you use to keep the line from freezing in the hole? (can you tell I'm intrigued?)
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2009, 07:37 AM »
i use a couple of deadsticks. the deadsticks have a metal stand that holds the jigging rod and also has a flag. when there is activity on your jigging rod the flag trips and it is usually fish on depending how you set your drag. i like to set the drag so the fish hooks himself but also can run a little if he had to. your jigging rod is secured to the frame pretty well and you wont loose it at all. you can even just grab the jigging rod and satart fighting the fish.
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline jstanhope90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:32 AM »
nice fish blaine which cove were you on? i never got a pike and think i need to get out and try.

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2009, 09:34 AM »
nice fish blaine which cove were you on? i never got a pike and think i need to get out and try.
ditto jstanhope90. :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
hard core fanatic  Http:

Offline trout chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:22 AM »
nice pics and pike   thanx  4  sharin

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2009, 11:20 AM »
Great pics... thats the way to do. all day!!!! :tipup:

Trooper Bri

« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2009, 04:27 PM »
Oh man, that looks like a satisfying day on the ice. Couldn't ask for much better weather either! Except for tomorrow and Friday. ;)

I guess you did change locations out there.  ;D

Offline hrdwtr24

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2009, 05:48 PM »
As usual outstanding!!..thats the kind of marathon I like.. not the ones I've been pullin at work.. >:(  your pictures keep me going though..thanks!!..Bob..

Offline fishingman17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2009, 06:33 PM »
nice fish those are some big boys

Offline RealMenFish80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2009, 10:36 PM »
Way to go man ,nice fish. :thumbsup:

Offline bigbry068

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2009, 01:47 AM »
that looks awesome ,nice fish too. after that much time my wife would have a tough time not bugging me though. :D
youngest  G.O.D.S. member (grumpy old dudes)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.