Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Maffett Reservoir  (Read 1968 times)

fishfinger

Maffett Reservoir
« on: Feb 12, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Anyone try Maffett this season? I've drove by twice in the last week and no one in sight. 3 bald eagles sitting on the ice by the open water in the NW corner. Ducks and geese keeping the water open there and the eagles just sitting watching them. Looks like they're picking out their next meal.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Maffett Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2004, 09:01 AM »
Been on maffet once this year.Some ok crappie.The perch came through on the vex real fast.SO fast. Caught 1 10 1/2 in.The perch are hard to find.Alot of water. WANT FISH WITH TEETH !

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2004, 04:40 PM »
    Well another ice fishing season begins ! I like fishing Maffett but can't seem to keep the perch under me. I have caught a few in past years and they are fine perch for iowa. Anyone have a method that has worked well for the perch in Maffett? The iowa fish and game mag. lists Maffett as being a good lake for perch in central iowa.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline goody

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Born to fish, Forced to work!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:29 AM »
Same frustrations here....my best luck has been to go elsewhere.  I guess if I HAD to fish Maffitt, I would go to that deepest water and search.  I have done this with no  real success, but they are there.  That lake is just SO hard to pattern and fish that it isnt even worth my time anymore with as many good fisheries as we have these days.

goody
Born to fish, forced to work!!

Des Moines, Iowa

Offline IOWA BASSER

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bass Fisherman at Heart - but I love the Hardwater
« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2004, 05:47 AM »
I love to catch perch - where is this lake at?
BASS WISHES AND TIGHT LINES !!

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2004, 08:20 AM »
    Maffet would be straight west [as the crow flys] of DES. airport, across the interstate. It is a city  park west of the interstate. I believe west DES. gets some of its water from this lake. It has alot of water--deep too. I have tryed the deep water for perch with zero luck. The few i've caught have been next to weeds in 10-12 ft. or in south bay that is next to dam. There is open and close times [city park].

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.