Author Topic: trick for night-time crappie, input needed  (Read 22537 times)

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
Re: trick for night-time crappie, input needed
« Reply #30 on: Feb 25, 2006, 06:55 AM »
I have a green submersable light that works real good, it takes it a while to attract the bait fish to come in but when they do the crappie really start to bite.
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2007, 09:36 AM »
If you find crappie work the area close and use a glo jig ,but hit that glo jig with light every couple minutes.Dont need all that other stuff at night the lantern gives off enough glow.Unless your after more than 25 fish.
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline PoleCat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • IceFsh'nNut
« Reply #32 on: Feb 05, 2007, 08:04 AM »
I have used the floating light the one used for summer fishing. Drill an extra hole put the light right in the hole.{if ur hole is big enough} works great. You just have to lug a battery out to power it,but its worth the effort.  :tipup:
HoosierPoleCat member since 2003

The high price of Freedom is a cost paid by a Brave few... Semper Fi

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2007, 06:49 AM »
OK guys this one is from maine take a car head light 2 of them wire them to go on High and low beam  float them in your ice hole or in its own hole by your fishing hole hook to a boat battery and WOW now thats light and they will come BABY !
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:47 AM »
Last weekend I fished for four hours I took 15 good slabs home 14 to 16 inch range and tossed the rest back.  I can do this regularly so I do not keep substandard fish.

The keys to hooking good fish year after year in hard water or soft water is being flexible and knowing what the fish are doing when.  A flasher is a must have when going after slabs.  Knowing your lake, having lake maps, gps spots/brush piles on open water all help out big time.  I took 24 fish one morning the smallest was 14 the largest was a tad over 18 inches.  I was fishing 24 feet of water and taking the fish at 10 feet down.  Without having a flasher that is just not going to happen, on a regular basis.  Plus you can see the fish’s reaction to what you are doing or what is working or not working.  This can tel you to change color, size, lures or what ever.   

I have tried a verity of glow sticks different colors and sizes. I have never put the sticks inside of anything although something that would magnify the glow might work better.  I tied them to fishing line with weights so the sink and hold vertically and I can bring them back up so I’m not leaving my trash in the water.  I have suspended them in the stick zone and on the bottom.  I have tried using them when the bit was hot when the bit was not and there were fish being marked and not market.  I have tried placing them out the night before and fishing the area the next day.  I have used them at night and during the day open water and iced up.  I have seen the fishing pick up just a tad but not often using them.  I have seen the fishing turn right off using them.  I have found nothing consistent in using them at all, in my area.   It may work great on your local waters.  Were I fish at it is not worth the time or money.

Invest in a flasher, do not be afraid to move or change up what you are going.  Learn about what the fish is doing when and where and what causes them to do it.  And you will hook good fish all year long.  You will have bad spells just like me and everyone but you will be able to figure out why and how to correct them.       

Snapper

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:41 AM »
 Let me get this straight! Snapper! You caught crappie over 18"!  :o
TEAM  PA.

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2007, 01:04 PM »
One in my life time, I would have my buddy that was with me post up about it but he is in the PA State Police Academy right now.  We fish together a lot and we rotate one day he keeps the fish the next I do, he took it home and eat it.  Along with the other fish for the day the smallest was 14 inches.  That is the largest Crappie I have personally ever seen, it was just a hair over 18.  There are a few caught in local waters each year that size. 

Do a search on PA State Fish Record find the link that has pages for each type of fish and you can go back year after year.  You will see a local man his brother and his son that have their names on the site list over the past few year for crappie that are 18 or over and they have their names are up there for a few other very large crappie.  Their last names is Sarnez or Saurnez (sp)or something like that.  I can't hook the fish like they do but I do fish the same waters and can hook good one often.

I really wish I would have taken the time to have the information verified and sent into the state.  It would have been cool to have my name on th list it was not a state record weight but a huge fish never the less.

Snapper

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:53 PM »
 Thats for sure! My biggest is 14 1/2". I can't imagine catching one 18!
TEAM  PA.

Offline PondPro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FISH ON!!!!!!!!FISH OFF.............
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:31 PM »
if i forget my vex i like to drop my little glow jig with a minnow all the way to the bottom and real it up realy slow and thats what works for me..
Tom G :tipup:<br />

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 19, 2007, 10:53 AM »
You ever fish Arthur or Wilhelm?  I would not even keep a fish that was under 12.   

Back in the day, I would stager my lines to find fish.  Let say I’m fishing 12 feet of water I would put a jig at 2 foot then 5 foot with maggots or whatever.  Then I would run two with minnow at different depths to cover the water Colum.

It works OK but if you have the extra money there are so many more advantage to owning a flasher that put fish on the ice. 

Snapper

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #40 on: Feb 21, 2007, 08:10 AM »
Gander Mountain sells a green submersable light for around $15.  It's made for this purpose.  I myself am going to buy one to experiment with, as I've talked to many people that have used this technique with varied success.  Green light seems to be the color for light specifically made to attract baitfish, hence predatory fish will follow. 
That's what crappies do, follow bait around (when they're feeding anyway).  If you know some spots that hold crappie frequently, that would be the time to try it.  Otherwise, just plunking it in the water anywhere waiting for the slabs won't cut it.  You have to find them and be mobile, the light would be something to help bring in more baitfish/crappies.  Maybe try leaving the light in a known spot and continue to search for them, then come back a little later to see what's up.  Crappies as you may know are social, they like to hang out together ... the more-the-merrier, I say.  Like I said before, I don't think the light is something you just plunk in the water and the fish start swarming in, but I think with some experimentation it could be a usefull tool to catch more fish.

~Sullymon

PS I'll let you know how I make out ...

Offline whitetailmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shut up-n- fish
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2007, 06:15 PM »
if i forget my vex i like to drop my little glow jig with a minnow all the way to the bottom and real it up realy slow and thats what works for me..
How could you FORGET your vex!!!???
team I.C.Light

Offline snaggerr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep the beer in the shanty
« Reply #42 on: Feb 22, 2007, 09:57 PM »
Two days ago caught tons of crappie same way I always do glo jig w/spikes and a flasher.Yesterday used a glo stick under ice caught tons of crappie but were finiky had to use three poles and every fish I caught ,had to change lure.Unsure if they do help.Flasher a must.
[IMG]http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s109/snaggerr/IceShantyBanner-1.png[/imagine  Since there is six times as much water than land anyone can see that the good lord intended for man to fish six times more than he works.

Offline xjin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:07 AM »
Unfortunately, I believe here in the Province of Ontario, it is illegal to put a light down into water to attract fish...:-)

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Oct 16, 2009, 10:26 AM »
Drill on a clear patch of ice and keep the light above the ice pointed down. In open water we put a flourecent light fixture on the side of the boat with a power inverter and we get tons of fish and baitfish around the boat the light never enters the water.

Offline crappiman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Oct 20, 2009, 06:00 PM »
I had a good idea this morning about icing crappie at night. We have 1 lake where there are some really nice crappie from 8-12" but in fairly low numbers. They also bite very good at night. I think maybe getting a milkjug, and dropping those snap-green lights in there (you guys know what I'm talking about), tying the milk jug to a line, and dropping it down the hole to attract the crappie into the area. I really think this would help attract the crappie. By the way, I would put it probably at the level the crappie come in at, which at this lake is 18-22 ft over 30 ft of water.
Does anyone think this would work?
Try a Candle.they attach to your line,no extra lines,lights,etc... to tangle.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Nov 18, 2009, 10:19 AM »
I have a lake close to me in PA that is over run with crappie. One night we decided to stay out after dark and try out these new LED lights i got for the shack. When i turned the lights on, the number of fish that showed up on the vex doubled, and they came almost to the top of the water coloum. They were so close to the top of the ice that we could see the reflection when they swam past the holes.

Offline peterpike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "you got one pole and one life, use it"
« Reply #47 on: Jan 03, 2010, 10:54 AM »
crappieman how does the candle feel on the line i would think that it would be hard to feel the soft bite with something that heavy on your line? my buddy and me plan on doing alot of night fishing this year and i plan on buying a couple of these

Offline icehousepsycho

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:58 AM »
Green submersible light the way to go.  Sucks lugging a battery, but if you have a sled, or snowmobile not a big deal.  I set it up at the depth where I was catching fish in the daytime.  If I'm starting out at night, I go to a productive spot on a lake I know well and wait.  While I'm waiting for the light to draw them in, I'll drop a glow-in-the-dark Genz worm or similar lure in one of the other holes I will drill.  I may drill 50 holes with my power auger, drop the Vex in there, see which is the most promising, then put the light and shanty on that hole.  I'll hole hop until the light brings the tinmouth in.  Caught some slabs hole hopping, and moving keeps it interesting.

Offline crappiman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 04, 2010, 08:37 AM »
crappieman how does the candle feel on the line i would think that it would be hard to feel the soft bite with something that heavy on your line? my buddy and me plan on doing alot of night fishing this year and i plan on buying a couple of these
Peterpike,the weight of the light is mostly countered by the buoncy in the water which cuts the overall weight you feel to approx.3/8oz

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2010, 07:26 PM »
got two of the crappie-candles--seemed to work, but didn't like the interference with my line....I don't use a reel, just go hand over hand, and the thing spins too much...still using glow sticks just under the ice in the clear water lakes up here, and this year the craps are smoking after dark....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline $ignmoney

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • My wife and I had words, I did't get to use mine
« Reply #51 on: Feb 20, 2010, 11:07 PM »
I tried the green light for over a hour and nothing would bite.Switched to the clear light (dropped in hole) and with in a few minutes we were catching gills and crappie once again. I thought the green light was the ticket,didn't work for me. I plan on trying it again tho.Play around with it and who knows

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.