The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: where to go ?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline trenarylarry

• IceShanty Rookie
where to go ?
« on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:22 AM »
 been in mt 5 yrs son wants to ice fish

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: where to go ?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2007, 08:52 AM »
Provide a little more information. That is awesome that your son wants to ice fish, it is a great sport and one of the greatest memories I have is ice fishing with my dad many years ago... How old is your son? What do you enjoy to eat\catch? Where about do you live now?

Offline trenarylarry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:30 AM »
had baby girl in my arms when i did that.he is 11 and we used to ice fish all the time until we moved to miles city mt.didnt even know any 1 ice fished here until last spring but gettin info has not been easy.perch crappie and walleyes are favs but like trout to.need to get back into so baby will be able to and son to because he misses goin.

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:57 AM »
Wow, you are in no mans land over in Miles City :) Here are a couple places that you may be interested in... Tongue River Reservoir you will see a lot of people around here talking about it and how it is doing... They have Black Crappie, Channel Catfish, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye, Yellow Perch and more... It is very large however so takes a while to freeze parts of it 3600 acres...
Lat Long: 45 5.4'N,106 47.8'W

Or... Spotted lake - Black Crappie, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye... Much smaller so it will freeze much faster 25 acres... Lat Long: 46 23.4'N,105 51.1'W

Or... South Sandstone Reservoir - Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike, Smallmouth Bass, Walleye, Yellow Perch, Black Bullhead... A little bit bigger 288 acres... Lat Long:46 19.9'N,104 28.8'W

Or... Lake Baker - Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike, Yellow Perch... Another smaller lake 90 acres... Lat Long: 46 21.6'N,104 16.3'W

Hopefully that helps a little... If I were you I would go on google earth and punch in those lat longs and it will show you exactly where they are so you know how to get there... If you want to know a report call the nearest tackle store near them and they will give you a great update! If not on here... People here do a pretty good job as well!

You probably already know about Spotted lake as it is right next to you :) Not sure you might want to get further from town but hey always fun to just go out on the lake with the kids and not have to drive more than 10-15 minutes! Good luck!

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2007, 11:36 AM »
Myself and MrMart51 are from MC. I fish Sandstone alot, with varied success on the slimy, toothy critters. As posted before, enter somemore info; such as what you want to catch, and what you have for equipment. Spotted Eagle is a great place to go, just to get the kids out for an hour or two, but I have never caught anything there in the winter. I might head to Spotted Eagle on Monday to take my daughter out, I will PM you if  I do; maybe we could do a small meet and greet. :thumbsup:

Ice Shanty is a great source of info, along with some chuckles, or a tear or two. Welcome to Ice Shanty. :icefish:

"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline trenarylarry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2007, 12:52 PM »
i have taken my son to spoted eagle in summer never really hooked any thing big enough to keep went to south sand stone 1 time caught a few perch and son landed 6 lbs pike. and fished TRR a few times caught alot crappie but thats all summer time  still have some ice fishin poles and jigs and tear drops left not sure what will work out here. goinin to look for a hand auger to day after i get done painting. wouldnt mind meetin up with some 1 that likes ice fishin

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29, 2007, 07:29 PM »
Welcom to Iceshanty.This is a GREAT site.pm whatpole and maby sometime we will have a little get together.

"Every hour spent fishing is NOT taken from ones life"Quote from Grant Boyson

Offline trenarylarry

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:47 AM »
hi mrmarty were can i find a good selection of ice fishin supplies around here ?
 red rock doesnt have very much and same with walmart .

Offline mike_skoges

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:28 AM »
Hey, If you get a chance check out Cabelas.com they have all kinds of stuff and they run deals all the time. Also if you are fishing for Walleye or big perch buy a size three chubby darter... You can pick the color but they are incredible! Expensive though but put a swivel right above them so it allows them to swim and you will do very well! Good luck!

Offline Whatpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:55 AM »
trenarylarry, I sent you a PM. I can give you some advice. I just didn't want to clutter up this post.  :thumbsup: :icefish:
"Isn't he precious." My daughter looking at a 12" walleye
"The Green Hornet strikes again!"

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 30, 2007, 02:02 PM »
hi mrmarty were can i find a good selection of ice fishin supplies around here ?
 red rock doesnt have very much and same with walmart .
Were pretty limited here on where to go for icefishing supplies so when I can make it to Billngs I always stop at Scheels and stock up.
I try to support RedRock as much as possible and purchased a couple of tipups from them the other day for 2 bucks over the wallyworld price.They do have some ice fishin gear and a fair selection of lure building equipment in their warm weather fishing supplies. ;D

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2007, 03:55 PM »
Try Castlerock.  Just came from there and the fishing is good (except for the wind, which is why I'm on-line instead of on-ice).  Red Rock Sports is good for basic stuff, has some hot young babes, and normally has minnows when I stop in there on my way to Ft Peck.  O/W, Cabelas has overnight express shipping, as do other large online distributors, so virtually everything you could every need can be at you door in hours.

That's my 2 tips to you - CR and FP. 

Tight lines.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2007, 07:13 PM »
Were pretty limited here on where to go for icefishing supplies so when I can make it to Billngs I always stop at Scheels and stock up.
I try to support RedRock as much as possible and purchased a couple of tipups from them the other day for 2 bucks over the wallyworld price.They do have some ice fishin gear and a fair selection of lure building equipment in their warm weather fishing supplies. ;D

Does Ace Hardware still stock fishing supplies?   I think they were trying to get rid of all their fishing stuff. 

I always had real good luck at South Sandstone.  Get on a weed edge and sight fish out of a spearing sized hole and you will nail the perch.  Us a Gem-n-Eye jig tipped with a perch eye, or a rapala jigging shad rap with a minnow head hanging off the bottom hook.  The rapala works good on pike too.  Just my $.02

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:42 PM »
Does Ace Hardware still stock fishing supplies?   I think they were trying to get rid of all their fishing stuff. 

I always had real good luck at South Sandstone.  Get on a weed edge and sight fish out of a spearing sized hole and you will nail the perch.  Us a Gem-n-Eye jig tipped with a perch eye, or a rapala jigging shad rap with a minnow head hanging off the bottom hook.  The rapala works good on pike too.  Just my $.02
No more fishin stuff at ace and I would rather support RedRock over wallyworld.I think if more people stopped by R.R and started requesting different items that they would stock more.but then after requesting be sure to go back and purchase.

Offline MrMarty51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 03, 2008, 08:47 PM »
That was good,You spending some time at the Eagle with your son.Whatpole and I may be back there this weekend. ;D If I get sis`s and Brotherinlaws pickup finished.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.