The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice fishing charter in montana?  (Read 5695 times)

Offline the wizzard

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice fishing charter in montana?
« on: Aug 02, 2007, 01:20 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm writing to see if anyone has any charter or guide info. for ice fishing up in your beautiful state of montana. My name is joe wood and I live in Lakeville,Mass. I am also the president of an ice fishing club here in mass. that attracts alot of attention ,including our annual derby. we usually have 300
contestants and we involve the kids groups also.
I have the week ending Dec.8th off this year and was wanting to take an ice fishing charter up to montana.Can anyone help me with facts. I'm lookin' for northerns or bass for catch and release.thanks,
                                                    ~~~WIZZARD~~~

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
Re: Ice fishing charter in montana?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 03, 2007, 10:59 PM »
December 8 is a bit iffy for safe ice, at least in Eastern MT where you will find most of the pike and bass.  The last several years, it wasn't until mid December before we had safe ice.  For pike, the mecca is Fort Peck Reservoir and that ices up even later.  It is so huge and slow to cool that it generally is January before that kicks off.  Its definitely worth the wait though.

As for bass, I just haven't had much success for them through the ice.  They seem to become a bit dormant.   For me, its walleye, pike and crappies mainly. 

As far as guides, there are plenty of guides working the hardwater around Ft Peck.  Do a search online.  Also, check out the links on the Montana Outdoor Radio Show site. 

Hopefully this helps you out.

Tight Lines.

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2007, 11:01 PM »
Hi everyone, I'm writing to see if anyone has any charter or guide info. for ice fishing up in your beautiful state of montana. My name is joe wood and I live in Lakeville,Mass. I am also the president of an ice fishing club here in mass. that attracts alot of attention ,including our annual derby. we usually have 300
contestants and we involve the kids groups also.
I have the week ending Dec.8th off this year and was wanting to take an ice fishing charter up to montana.Can anyone help me with facts. I'm lookin' for northerns or bass for catch and release.thanks,
                                                    ~~~WIZZARD~~~
Glad to meet you. My name is Bozeiceman, been living here in MT for 20 years native of mass family in Marion and Mattapoisett which I call home. E-mail me at [email protected] and I'll take you trout fishing when you get here if you don't mind the cold weather and bait fishing I'll hook you up that is a tough time of year. No charge my friend just meet me in Bozeman....bring you favorite super ultra light if you want I'll have fly rods in case of midge hatch...some nice rainbows and browns can be had 12"-20" with most 13-15......
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline Desperado

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • . . . . . . Happy Trails . . . .. Des .. IBOT #328
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2007, 10:14 PM »
Here's one that lists icefishing on Fort Peck

http://www.kiblercharterfishing.com/fishing/fishingpage.html  (ice fishing info towards the bottom of his page)

Also call and ask Clint or Deb at Hell Creek Marina.  They're good people.  There's links to a couple of guides on their website, but it's hard to tell if they guide in the winter.
http://www.hellcreekmarina.com/

One of the best Fort Peck guides in the summer is Chuck Lawson.  Again I don't know if he guides in the winter; but it would definitely be worth a call to ask him. (406) 228-9541

That's kinda how Montana is.  You gotta do your homework; and that's gonna take some legwork.
Have YOU Clamped YET ?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.